ncaa forms player name and likeness committee ...

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: ncaa forms player name and likeness committee ...

Post by tmcats » May 15th, 2019, 4:59 pm

how can k-state be in a worse position than today? zero opportunity to get a 5* kid here because, basically, they are being paid to go to the blue blood programs. if these kids had opportunities to make money on their image and name, they might consider going to schools other than the cheaters.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

bigdeal

Post by bigdeal » May 16th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Well that would serve to open up another avenue for those and other schools. Just giving them an above the table way to augment their cheating activities. It's not like they wouldn't be able to pay them with this method, as well. Boynton has landed some pretty highly rated kids to Stillwater, Drew has consistently landed some to Waco, Beard is getting them to Lubbock, and they have pulled some in to Ames. Facts are that Bruce works very hard and has a pretty good eye for talent, but he is not a top level recruiter.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 17th, 2019, 11:10 am

bigdeal wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 2:09 pm
Well that would serve to open up another avenue for those and other schools. Just giving them an above the table way to augment their cheating activities. It's not like they wouldn't be able to pay them with this method, as well. Boynton has landed some pretty highly rated kids to Stillwater, Drew has consistently landed some to Waco, Beard is getting them to Lubbock, and they have pulled some in to Ames. Facts are that Bruce works very hard and has a pretty good eye for talent, but he is not a top level recruiter.
yeah, and coach weber had two first team all b12 players last season and has won two conference championships, so what's the big deal [sic]?

bigdeal

Post by bigdeal » May 17th, 2019, 2:12 pm

I don't want to turn this into an extensive discussion of Bruce and his relative strengths and weaknesses as we can have that discussion on another thread. I am simply stating that I feel letting players profit from their likeness is going to hurt KSU and similar schools and certainly isn't going to level any playing fields, except maybe to bring back up UCLA, USC and other such schools where image likeness can be more profitably capitalized.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 18th, 2019, 12:10 pm

even if it doesn't profit k-state, which i believe it would, even if not that and doesn't get adidas and likes out of the game, even then allowing players to capture some capital from their name and images is simply the right thing to do. today, everything goes to coaches and administrators making millions upon millions due in large part to their athletes. allowing that to continue unabated is ethically wrong.

Credulum
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Credulum » May 20th, 2019, 11:55 am

bigdeal wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 2:11 pm
Watu, I think it will have completely the opposite effect to levelling the playing field. This favors schools with lots of big money donors, schools in metro areas, schools that get lots of national/regional pub, and media center areas. For instance, KC kid being chased be KU and KSU. KU would, no doubt, have media tie-ins created to put the kid on ads in KC vs being on ads in local Manhattan outlets. This will broaden the gap for smaller, less metro-centric schools. Basically, the biggest losers if this passes are schools exactly like KSU. Biggest winners are UCLA and USC, and big market east coast teams. Second biggest are schools like Texas with the next biggest schools like Duke, etc.
I just don't see how it would hurt KSU. What it will do is make Duke think twice about having more than 2-3 of those type of players on the team at one time as it would take 6-9 of their 15 scholarships. So with 3 of those guys you are down to 10 scholarship bodies. Despite how good those players might be, depth in the future would be a concern. So if Duke is going to start only pulling 2 of those players instead of 5-8 per year, that has to level the playing field. With the NBA taking 5 of them out per year based on the $100k contracts, teams will be closer to the same level of athletes. I would venture to say that KSU could take one of those guys though if it were an option.