Beilein to Cleveland Cavs

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
mustang

Beilein to Cleveland Cavs

Post by mustang » May 13th, 2019, 9:15 am

Will this see a wave of successful college coaches going to the NBA? The highest level of basketball in the world and out of sight pay.
Any thoughts on next coach at Michigan? Chris Beard from Texas Tech, Gregg Marshall Wichita State and Johnny Dawkins UCF are the three names that have emerged early.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 13th, 2019, 10:11 am

out of sight, out of mind. never watch the nba and could care less how beilein does there. it hurts college hoops though, losing the cream to the league. but i'm sure sparty is smiling.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » May 13th, 2019, 10:20 am

Back in 2013 I listened to the great Don Meyer speak at a clinic and this was after his car accident and the cancer and not long before he passed and he did not hold back, he pretty much let it be known how dirty the big time college game was and why he never went beyond D2. He said that day that the reason Brad Stevens left Butler was because Butler had joined the Big East and he knew keeping Butler at the level he had raised them to would be very difficult considering how dirty it was at the highest level. A guy like Belien might just be tired of watching the K's, Self's and Miller's of the world swim in the mud and muck with no repercussions and figures he may as well go make the money now. Funny how the cheaters that are considered so great never go to the NBA. Why would they, they get to play on a field tilted completely in their favor and then get to have the ESPN mouths constantly tell us how great they are, and they never have to try to prove they can actually coach when there is a level playing field.

mustang

Post by mustang » May 13th, 2019, 10:22 am

Cavaliers have a pretty young roster, perfect for a seasoned college coach. I watch a ton of NBA, could see him elevating the Cavs to a possible playoff team next season. Not entirely sure what Michigan has returning, would think it's a pretty good job for the right coach. Beilein always has emphasized spacing the floor and his teams usually have shot a lot of three pointers, perfect style for the current NBA.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 13th, 2019, 10:31 am

John Beilein.
Current position
Team Michigan
Conference Big Ten
Record 278–150
Annual salary $3.37 million

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » May 13th, 2019, 12:07 pm

tmcats wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 10:31 am
John Beilein.
Current position
Team Michigan
Conference Big Ten
Record 278–150
Annual salary $3.37 million
I have a hard time understanding this. Unless he’s just always had a dream of coaching in the NBA, when is enough enough. And if he had dreams of coaching in the NBA as a younger man, it’s a different game than it once was. The players end up being the one that’s really in charge anymore , especially if you have one of those so called superstars. I just have no real desire to watch the game much anymore except on occasion to help me fall asleep.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » May 13th, 2019, 1:07 pm

He may well be tired of having to recruit against the cheaters and at his age being looking for 1 last opportunity.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 13th, 2019, 2:25 pm

hilltopwildcat wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 1:07 pm
He may well be tired of having to recruit against the cheaters and at his age being looking for 1 last opportunity.
without knowing, i absolutely believe this to be the case. college is a year-round job, the season and recruiting. and then recruiting is so adidas/ku crooked that clean coaches like beilein have their fill of it and simply give up. the fbi uncovered how awful people like bill self are in buying players. beilein may sense the ncaa's not going to do a damn thing to fix it. so, he leaves the game. it's a sad tale if that's what he decided because he had a great job and program in ann arbor.

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » May 13th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Basketball will NEVER be king at Michigan and he might have gotten tired of being an afterthought.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » May 13th, 2019, 5:47 pm

hilltopwildcat wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 1:07 pm
I think you nailed it. Recruiting is year around and already tough enough and then when the NCAA just keeps ignoring the cheating bluebloods, hell, I'd get out too.
I hope he speaks out. I hope he throws the scumbags under the bus. A known "clean" guy speaking out might be what needs to happen. The guys still in college can't do it, but he sure could.