si summary commentary on crooked coaches doings ...

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
tmcats

Pick 'Em

si summary commentary on crooked coaches doings ...

Post by tmcats » May 9th, 2019, 2:15 pm

there's nothing new here other than to cast more shade over bill self, miller at arizona, and the lsu dude. staples's view is much like my own that college players should be allowed to enter third-party contracts. but we've argued that into dirt already, and it's not why i posted the summary. it's well written. read it if you choose but be ready to yawn. :wink:

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... ark-emmert
Why is there something rather than nothing?

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » May 9th, 2019, 4:52 pm

“The only real victims in any of this continue to be the student-athletes making schools hundreds of millions of dollars … and receiving no monetary consideration for their labor.”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la- ... story.html

This went about how we all suspected it would go.

learnin

Post by learnin » May 9th, 2019, 10:53 pm

Slowly but surely, I'm beginning to get disillusioned with most sports. I guess I'm old school. I want to back a team, program, etc., where I believe the players feel a sense of loyalty to the city, organization, school, etc. I used to be an avid major league baseball fan, but hardly pay attention any more.
I used to sit on the edge of my seat for every pitch in a Dodger game. Since free agency took over, however, I've lost almost all interest. I was rejuvenated when the Royals brought up a team from scratch that eventually won the series, but they were all looking to get out as soon as they made a name for themselves and get the money. It's understandable, but it really takes a lot out of the game.

If nothing comes out of this whole rotten mess, other than Pittino biting the dust, then, my love for the college basketball game will take a huge hit.

Sir Ocelot

Post by Sir Ocelot » May 10th, 2019, 12:19 am

I agree with your first sentence but even now there are a few good things going on.

These are helpful.

The first was posted by Xtrawildcat:

https://twitter.com/KStateMBB/status/11 ... 0708386816

I posted this one:

https://www.wibw.com/content/news/Dean- ... 10131.html

Here are another two (although not KSU-related):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFZI0tuMhv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75B8-YDRu38

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » May 10th, 2019, 7:10 am

quick question: if we paid the basketball, football players, would there be enough to fund title IX sports?

does this put SI squarely in the 'war on women' camp?
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » May 10th, 2019, 7:39 am

KITNooga wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 7:10 am
quick question: if we paid the basketball, football players, would there be enough to fund title IX sports?

I think you'll see big market/small market effects just like pro sports. So I think the Title IX sports will be dominated by the big market schools while the small schools focus on the revenue sports.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » May 10th, 2019, 7:44 am

KITNooga wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 7:10 am

I doubt it and title IX has helped create a much better environment for women of all ages. I was against it when it was first introduced but have completely changed my opinion as I watch the athletic opportunities for females today compared to when I was in high school and college. I think of some of the athletic girls in my class that were relegated to the Pep club.

Not all due to title IX but it certainly helped.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » May 10th, 2019, 8:45 am

learnin wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 10:53 pm
Slowly but surely, I'm beginning to get disillusioned with most sports. I guess I'm old school. I want to back a team, program, etc., where I believe the players feel a sense of loyalty to the city, organization, school, etc. I used to be an avid major league baseball fan, but hardly pay attention any more.
I used to sit on the edge of my seat for every pitch in a Dodger game. Since free agency took over, however, I've lost almost all interest. I was rejuvenated when the Royals brought up a team from scratch that eventually won the series, but they were all looking to get out as soon as they made a name for themselves and get the money. It's understandable, but it really takes a lot out of the game.

If nothing comes out of this whole rotten mess, other than Pittino biting the dust, then, my love for the college basketball game will take a huge hit.
Speaking of the Royals. Just look at Eric Hosmer. He's been a big bust in San Diego. He helped build something good in Kansas City both on and off the field. I believe he elevated his game because of the bonds he had with other players who he grew up with in the minor leagues. He fed off of a spirit of hope and dreams that permeated the city and fans that he played for in Kansas City. Now, he's just another free agent millionaire, trying to hold onto his waning skills ... and he's still YOUNG! When he left and took all of that money, he obviously gained financially, but lost something else. How much money does a pro athlete need? Are there things more important in professional sports than having a price tag assigned to your name? Yes, Hos was part of a World Series championship team, and that must have been the fulfillment of a dream for him. But what's next? A low batting average and hoots from the crowd in San Diego? My guess is that Hos never would have been booed in KC had he stayed, and that his play would have stayed on a higher level ... maybe even nudging closer to a Hall of Fame career. We'll never know. There are no more George Brett's and Cal Ripken's in baseball.

Sir Ocelot

Post by Sir Ocelot » May 10th, 2019, 8:57 am

And I expect that Dirk Nowitzki was the last long-career superstar in the NBA.

learnin

Post by learnin » May 10th, 2019, 10:23 am

pulitzerdave wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 8:45 am
learnin wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 10:53 pm

Speaking of the Royals. Just look at Eric Hosmer. He's been a big bust in San Diego. He helped build something good in Kansas City both on and off the field. I believe he elevated his game because of the bonds he had with other players who he grew up with in the minor leagues. He fed off of a spirit of hope and dreams that permeated the city and fans that he played for in Kansas City. Now, he's just another free agent millionaire, trying to hold onto his waning skills ... and he's still YOUNG! When he left and took all of that money, he obviously gained financially, but lost something else. How much money does a pro athlete need? Are there things more important in professional sports than having a price tag assigned to your name? Yes, Hos was part of a World Series championship team, and that must have been the fulfillment of a dream for him. But what's next? A low batting average and hoots from the crowd in San Diego? My guess is that Hos never would have been booed in KC had he stayed, and that his play would have stayed on a higher level ... maybe even nudging closer to a Hall of Fame career. We'll never know. There are no more George Brett's and Cal Ripken's in baseball.
Indeed, Dave. I was thinking of Albert Pujols a few days ago when I read he was approaching 2,000 rbi's. I suppose Albert has done okay out in San Diego, but he was King in St. Louis. He was on top of the baseball world. St. Louis is such a tremendous baseball city with rabid support and a long history of baseball greatness. The money might not have him second guessing his decision, but I bet there are times when he lies there at night thinking: "Man, I'd like to experience some of that St. Louis vibe again." Indeed, how much money does a pro athlete need? I'm no millionaire, but I've made some good wages along the way and I ask myself: "How much money does a person need?" If you make 2 million per year, do you really need to pull up stakes for 10 million? If you can't live a life of luxury and have a nice nest egg set back on 2 million, then you probably don't deserve 10. I am of the opinion that many people chase more and more millions because it gives them an illusory feeling of overcoming mortality.