COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Zoltar

Way to early predictions for next season

Post by Zoltar » April 9th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Not in the top 25/30.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... 25-2019-20

But in the NCAA tourney as an 11 seed.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology

We are shown as getting the last bye so he has us finishing 7th in the league.
Win the dang day!

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » April 9th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Wow, that was exactly me prediction...7th place in conference and firmly on the bubble....kind of scary and now I'm second guessing myself ;)

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » April 9th, 2019, 10:05 pm

With as many players leaving the conference, next year is a crap shoot. Let’s see what the predictions are after the players finish all their transferring.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » April 10th, 2019, 10:10 am

I agree that things can change quite a bit depending on who leaves, who stays and who signs with teams. I think we will be a bubble team next year, but the bracketology is kinda odd. ISU as a 4 seed? They weren't even that this year, and they lose more than we do, including 4 of their top 5 scorers. TTU as a 7 seed? It depends on what transfers they land, but they do have a nice recruiting class and Beard will get his team to play at a high level.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » April 10th, 2019, 11:39 am

KsJoey wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 10:10 am
I agree that things can change quite a bit depending on who leaves, who stays and who signs with teams. I think we will be a bubble team next year, but the bracketology is kinda odd. ISU as a 4 seed? They weren't even that this year, and they lose more than we do, including 4 of their top 5 scorers. TTU as a 7 seed? It depends on what transfers they land, but they do have a nice recruiting class and Beard will get his team to play at a high level.
What's sad is that everyone doesn't start off at the starting line. These rankings are imprinted in people's minds until they're proven wrong and it does make a difference in tournament seeding.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 10th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Hypeman wrote:
April 9th, 2019, 10:05 pm
With as many players leaving the conference, next year is a crap shoot. Let’s see what the predictions are after the players finish all their transferring.
exactly. txt and isu are going to be scrambling for bodies. who knows what ku will be next season, may be blacklisted. putting out this stuff now is just filling space and has no relevance whatsoever to next year's outcome. txt was picked 7th by the coaches before last summer.

2018-19 Big 12 Preseason Poll

Team (1st Place Votes) Points
1. Ku (8) 80
2. K-State (2) 73
3. West Virginia 61
T4. TCU 54
Texas 54
6. Iowa State 41
7. Texas Tech 36
8. Oklahoma 21
9. Baylor 20
10. Oklahoma State 10
Why is there something rather than nothing?

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » April 10th, 2019, 1:41 pm

hilltopwildcat wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 11:39 am
KsJoey wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 10:10 am
What's sad is that everyone doesn't start off at the starting line. These rankings are imprinted in people's minds until they're proven wrong and it does make a difference in tournament seeding.

This is one reason why I like that the football playoff standings don't come out until mid-way through the season. However, they are still affected by the rankings done by other systems, which are affected by pre-season expectations.

On the flip side, if you want to be ranked higher in preseason rankings, you need to finish strong every year and put yourself in that conversation. Some teams will get more benefit based on past results of always finishing higher, or being able to integrate new pieces easily, etc. In other words, if you want the respect, go out there and earn it.

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » April 10th, 2019, 1:53 pm

opcat7755 wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 1:41 pm
This is one reason why I like that the football playoff standings don't come out until mid-way through the season. However, they are still affected by the rankings done by other systems, which are affected by pre-season expectations.

On the flip side, if you want to be ranked higher in preseason rankings, you need to finish strong every year and put yourself in that conversation. Some teams will get more benefit based on past results of always finishing higher, or being able to integrate new pieces easily, etc. In other words, if you want the respect, go out there and earn it.
The football rankings not coming out till midway thru the season are no different than the "committee" putting out their top 16 with about a month left. There are plenty of "way-to-early" polls and bowl projections in football too.

They are both still popularity contests & imo football is worse. in the current set-up, KSU has no shot at the football playoff unless they go undefeated.

It's very easy to get in the basketball tournament (for P6) and will be a complete sham if they expand it. There are already way to many average major conference teams in it!

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » April 10th, 2019, 2:12 pm

These are both 'just for fun' predictions for next season. Bracketology is Joe Lunardi and he does seem to get very close as the season progresses.

The other thing that really catches my eye is WV picked 3rd and finished last and frankly easily last.
Win the dang day!