Caleb Grill

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
JOKKO

Re: Caleb Grill

Post by JOKKO » April 12th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 1:02 pm
I guess I just don't ever consider getting or not getting a recruit a "failure" or whatever. If the coaching staff does every single thing they can possibly do to recruit the kid and yet he wants something else, how is that a failure??????? If he goes to ISU because they have no one currently at the 2 or 3 positions and KSU has Diarra, Neal Williams, McGuirl, Gordon, etc, how is it a failure if the kid wants to go to a place where they have fewer talented players and he thinks he can play more???? Or if he goes to UNLV because he obviously had an incredible connection with the SDSU coach and was the reason he committed there over Tech or Nebraska, how is it a failure if he signs with UNLV considering his connection with the coach?????

Maybe it is because I have 125 teenagers walk through my classroom door every single day that I realize that they make decisions based on a lot of different things, some of which don't make any sense at all. Plus, every single kid is different, and what worked to get Dean Wade to sign with Kansas State may actually work against you trying to get Caleb Grill. You put your best foot forward and you present your product, but at the end of the day, if the kid feels it more at a different place, then you move on to the next kid.

But calling it a failure seems a bit dramatic to me.
Yep. The only time I will call it a failure is on someone like Ron Baker. From what I know, we didn't even offer him. Of course KSU is hardly the only school that failed on Baker.

Offer is out there and they have had him in on an unofficial and have him scheduled for an official as well. Something else to consider is we could run out of 'ships available before he decides.

Wildwilly73

Post by Wildwilly73 » April 12th, 2019, 1:31 pm

I hope that the new kids coming in get to experience playing defense against Dean, Barry and Kam at some point. That will be an initiation for sure.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 12th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
I guess I just don't ever consider getting or not getting a recruit a "failure" or whatever. If the coaching staff does every single thing they can possibly do to recruit the kid and yet he wants something else, how is that a failure??????? If he goes to ISU because they have no one currently at the 2 or 3 positions and KSU has Diarra, Neal Williams, McGuirl, Gordon, etc, how is it a failure if the kid wants to go to a place where they have fewer talented players and he thinks he can play more???? Or if he goes to UNLV because he obviously had an incredible connection with the SDSU coach and was the reason he committed there over Tech or Nebraska, how is it a failure if he signs with UNLV considering his connection with the coach?????

Maybe it is because I have 125 teenagers walk through my classroom door every single day that I realize that they make decisions based on a lot of different things, some of which don't make any sense at all. Plus, every single kid is different, and what worked to get Dean Wade to sign with Kansas State may actually work against you trying to get Caleb Grill. You put your best foot forward and you present your product, but at the end of the day, if the kid feels it more at a different place, then you move on to the next kid.

:agree:

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » April 12th, 2019, 1:40 pm

If there's a failure, it'd be not recruiting/offering Grill before he committed to SDSU. Coming off an Elite 8, with a Top15 team, and him being a KSU fan... if we wanted him, our odds would have been as good as any. But being late to the recruiting game gives other teams like ISU a more competitive chance in signing him. I know it's hindsight now.. but Grill seems like less of a risk than taking a later flyer on Goodnews, just by comparing highlight videos.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » April 12th, 2019, 1:48 pm

KsJoey wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 1:40 pm
If there's a failure, it'd be not recruiting/offering Grill before he committed to SDSU. Coming off an Elite 8, with a Top15 team, and him being a KSU fan... if we wanted him, our odds would have been as good as any. But being late to the recruiting game gives other teams like ISU a more competitive chance in signing him. I know it's hindsight now.. but Grill seems like less of a risk than taking a later flyer on Goodnews, just by comparing highlight videos.

Thing is, I think most people were pretty shocked last fall when Tech and Nebraska offered, as I don't think many thought Caleb was a high major player. He blew up a bit over the summer and SDSU was deeply entrenched at that point. KSU was hard after Gordon at that point, so honestly I'm not sure Caleb was a huge priority back when he committed to SDSU.

On another note, I guess I need confirmation that he grew up a KSU fan?? I have read this a few places, did he actually say this somewhere? I have a former player who is good friends with him and I have seen a lot of pictures of him on Facebook, twitter, etc and I don't remember ever seeing him decked out in KSU gear. Maybe he is if he is dating the Goolsby girl, but I am not sure I buy that he grew up a KSU fan. Maybe, just need clarification of where that is coming from.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » April 12th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Wildwilly73 wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 12:56 pm
So it's in Caleb's court, like I've said before, you as a coach and recruiter can do and offer so much! Anymore and you are KU! If we don't get him it wasn't to be! EMAW
Maybe his dad needs a new lawn mower? :lol: :o

epicsnyder

Post by epicsnyder » April 12th, 2019, 5:35 pm

Gorhoops wrote:

Agreed.

Remember, LaDainian Tomlinson chose TCU over K-State because his desired uniform number was already spoken for here.
In a perfect world, everyone would choose hard work, morals and ethics over obscene money and fame. And everyone outside of Lowrents would be required to be a red blooded, card carrying Payhawk hater.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » April 12th, 2019, 9:30 pm

As far as anyone knows, KSU has one scholarship open right now. None of us know who is the top player they want to get with that scholarship. I would not be at all surprised if the coaching staff is more concerned about finding another big man who can help in the near term rather than another guard who will have to beat out some very good players/prospects to get much playing time. If given a choice between Juiston and Grill, they may be more interested in Juiston if only one ride is available.

I am not saying that this is the case, only that we don't know what their priorities are.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 12th, 2019, 9:44 pm

epicsnyder wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 5:35 pm
Gorhoops wrote:

Agreed.

Remember, LaDainian Tomlinson chose TCU over K-State because his desired uniform number was already spoken for here.
Seriously? Or is that just a rumor that went around?

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » April 13th, 2019, 12:33 am

Failure was too strong of a word I admit. I hope the staff lands Grill and if they don't I would classify it as a big disappointment. When our staff identifies a backyard kid as being worth a scholarship I expect them to close the deal especially when ku is not involved.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"