COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Re: Expectations for next season

Post by bhoovy » March 23rd, 2019, 6:49 pm

WIldWIllieCat wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 6:18 pm
7th in conference, possibly a bubble team
Well I guess if you set the bar pretty low maybe you won’t be very disappointed if they aren’t any better.

Heavens knows I’ve had much higher expectations many years than I maybe should have. But I’d rather go in being more optimistic I guess then ho-hum.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » March 23rd, 2019, 6:49 pm

epicsnyder wrote:
xtrawildcat wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 6:07 pm
For your consideration: 2019 senior mixed tape of Montavious Murphy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ydq0Z2 ... e=youtu.be

(Weber says this guy is 6ft 9 now. Probably really 6ft 8 but also has a good frame. Hope we don't overdo it with weight training.

I would hope this guy along with D Gordon would at least leave you interested in next years team.
Not saying he isn't going to make an impact, but that "hype video" accompanied by that horrid music, doesn't show me anything but a kid dominating a bunch of doctor's and lawyer's kids at a 1A christian school.

True, but those kids can shoot. There were a lot of threes in that game! :D

Murphy has lots of basic talent (he can shoot from the outside for sure), but he also has a long, long way to go to be effective at the high major level. His defense has not reached the work in progress level yet. If he can get some rotation minutes next season, that would be impressive. Long term he could develop into quite a player given his size and skills. Murphy is ranked #138 nationally by Rivals, so he is pretty well thought of by the scouts.

ESPN has him as a four-star, fwiw. Here is a clip from an EYBL event. Some of the kids he is going against look pretty legit. He can still shoot in this one as well.

https://youtu.be/6quhjYdZlh8

I don't think one should put too much into high school rankings, but between Murphy and D. Gordon (Chicago Sun-Times Player of the Year), this is probably the highest ranked class for Weber at KSU. Gordon is ranked as a four-star by 247. Two four stars plus Antonio Gordon and Goodnews (early enrollee) is a pretty good looking haul. Only time will tell how good they really are, of course.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » March 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 6:49 pm
epicsnyder wrote:

Not saying he isn't going to make an impact, but that "hype video" accompanied by that horrid music, doesn't show me anything but a kid dominating a bunch of doctor's and lawyer's kids at a 1A christian school.

True, but those kids can shoot. There were a lot of threes in that game! :D

Murphy has lots of basic talent (he can shoot from the outside for sure), but he also has a long, long way to go to be effective at the high major level. His defense has not reached the work in progress level yet. If he can get some rotation minutes next season, that would be impressive. Long term he could develop into quite a player given his size and skills. Murphy is ranked #138 nationally by Rivals, so he is pretty well thought of by the scouts.

ESPN has him as a four-star, fwiw. Here is a clip from an EYBL event. Some of the kids he is going against look pretty legit. He can still shoot in this one as well.

https://youtu.be/6quhjYdZlh8

I don't think one should put too much into high school rankings, but between Murphy and D. Gordon (Chicago Sun-Times Player of the Year), this is probably the highest ranked class for Weber at KSU. Gordon is ranked as a four-star by 247. Two four stars plus Antonio Gordon and Goodnews (early enrollee) is a pretty good looking haul. Only time will tell how good they really are, of course.
So do you know this young man personally? Know his coaches personally? Gone to many of his games in person and seen him against various levels of opponents?

I’m not sure how otherwise anyone can say for sure he has a “long long way to go to be effective at a high major level”. I’m sure no one thought Marcus Foster thought he could make the impact he did his frosh year. There’s a list of many guys who made immediate impacts that I’m very sure it wasn’t expected.

I’m certainly not saying he will. He may take a year or two or even three before he’s someone who really makes much of an impact on the team. But I’m also just not going to say he’s a long long way from being able to, as though it’s completely impossible he couldn’t be impactful as a frosh.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » March 23rd, 2019, 8:06 pm

bhoovy wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm

So do you know this young man personally? Know his coaches personally? Gone to many of his games in person and seen him against various levels of opponents?

I’m not sure how otherwise anyone can say for sure he has a “long long way to go to be effective at a high major level”. I’m sure no one thought Marcus Foster thought he could make the impact he did his frosh year. There’s a list of many guys who made immediate impacts that I’m very sure it wasn’t expected.

I’m certainly not saying he will. He may take a year or two or even three before he’s someone who really makes much of an impact on the team. But I’m also just not going to say he’s a long long way from being able to, as though it’s completely impossible he couldn’t be impactful as a frosh.

As I specified in the following sentence, it is his defense that needs a lot of work. That is not unusual for a young big man, of course. I expect him to make progress in that area, but usually it takes a while for a young big man to be effective on defense at the high major level. We are talking about expectations in this thread (see the title), not what is possible or impossible.

Here is another clip of an interesting game with Murphy going up against Anthony Edwards. Now Edwards is a five-star recruit ranked as high as #2 in the country, so the young man can play. Murphy does lead his team to a win over Edwards' team, so that is pretty encouraging, but Edwards does cause Murphy some problems on defense. Murphy can still shoot, however.

https://youtu.be/ujvJwXa9Ji8

As I also noted in my post, I think he can provide some rotational minutes even next season. Could he become a starter? Sure it is possible, but given the emphasis on defense for KSU as a team (and the time it takes to learn the defensive assignments in Weber's help defense), I don't EXPECT Murphy to become a starter as a freshman. Is it possible? Sure. As I also said, the young man can shoot.

powercat95

Post by powercat95 » March 23rd, 2019, 8:34 pm

KSUdad2of3 wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 6:00 pm
This team was plagued with injuries and illnesses. I expect a healthier team.
One thing I want to see is NO BOOTS! Seriously, what is the deal with K-State basketball and foot injuries? We have had so many players in boots in recent years. Most teams have some injuries, sure, but not foot injuries like us. If there were a national title for boots we would dominate. I can't believe it is just bad luck. So what is it? Is there some correctable cause?

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » March 23rd, 2019, 9:11 pm

I vote for "NO BOOTS".

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » March 23rd, 2019, 9:16 pm

bhoovy wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 6:49 pm
WIldWIllieCat wrote:
Well I guess if you set the bar pretty low maybe you won’t be very disappointed if they aren’t any better.

Heavens knows I’ve had much higher expectations many years than I maybe should have. But I’d rather go in being more optimistic I guess then ho-hum.

That's not a terrible prediction. We don't even know if Sneed is coming back.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » March 23rd, 2019, 9:18 pm

WIldWIllieCat wrote:
This is me, I expect next years team to really really struggle to score. I expect to see more halftimes with KSU in the 20's unfortunately.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » March 23rd, 2019, 9:48 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 9:16 pm

That's not a terrible prediction. We don't even know if Sneed is coming back.

Where would Sneed be going? It would make no sense for him to try to go pro at this point. He is honorable mention All Big 12, but that is not pro level. Also, as I recall he is a pretty good student.

Piedmontcat

Post by Piedmontcat » March 23rd, 2019, 10:16 pm

We will be very good defensively. X, Mak, Cartier, & Mike are all very good on D. That will keep most games competitive. Offense could struggle. Biggest unknown is leadership. The 3 seniors were winners - can the younger guys take on that same mentality? I think Mak and X (I think he comes back) will step up. I think the 3 gaurds improve. I think Trice becomes a contributor. I expect us to be in the 4-7 range in conference and around 21 wins total. We should be a tournament team, but not with ease.