KsJoey

Re: Good Job WVU!!

Post by KsJoey » March 15th, 2019, 8:25 am

KU catches a massive break

KSURFC8
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KSURFC8 » March 15th, 2019, 9:17 am

Who really cares. TTU may have actually caught a huge, huge break with the loss. Now they get to go home (maybe), rest (definitely) and practice before their next "real" game.

Quite possibly, as distasteful as it might be to most of us, the best thing for us was to have lost our game as well. About a week of rest would do us wonders and go a whole lot more to preparing us for the tournament than playing every day between now and Sat and then having to travel to our next game next week.

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » March 15th, 2019, 9:24 am

Disagree. Yesterday helped a great deal with depth. Cardi getting his legs (he looked like he'd never been gone) and McGuirl continuing strong play. Stockard came alive. Mak was good too but I'd like to see Weber give Trice more minutes this week 'cuz he may well be needed next week. You sure lost yr breath tho when it looked like Sneed, then Stokes, were hurt. Hopefully they're ok.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » March 15th, 2019, 9:44 am

KsJoey wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 8:25 am
KU catches a massive break
Possibly. But WVU may be playing as well as anyone in our conference right now. They’re playing loose and have young guys looking to make a statement for going into next year. They’re also a team that’s going to really beat you up with their physical play and when the refs let them play like the did yesterday, it’s going to be very physical.

They’re hitting boards hard and shooting 3’s pretty well. Also, I think ku gets up easier if it’s tech, but maybe take WVU a little more for granted.

The gas tank will be tested but these are also young men who are in good condition. Unless WVU is just flat or ku is just on fire, I think this will be a very competitive game.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » March 15th, 2019, 9:48 am

I think the rest would be more important if Dean was out there playing(from an injury perspective)... but he's not & is getting rest regardless. I think having Cartier out there is a bonus and gets him back into the rhythm of things before next week. Trice and Stockard getting more minutes is also a good thing as well, IMO. I don't want any OT games, but even if we play the championship game, we're looking at 5-6 days of rest afterwards, instead of 7-8(if we lost). Muscle fatigue generally recovers, well under 5 days so I think we'll be good physically for the NCAA tournament. Biggest downside is more chance of injury. But the upside is certain players getting into rhythm(including Sneed) and improving depth, better seeding in the tournament, confidence, and winning the Big12 tournament.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » March 15th, 2019, 10:11 am

I agree with you Joey. Possible injuries is definitely the biggest downside or concern. But getting Cartier minutes before the NCAA and the minutes guys like Stockard got yesterday are huge. That could be the game that really gets him going. Would have liked to have seen a better performance out of Trice with getting the start. Will be interesting to see who gets the start tonight.

KSURFC8
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KSURFC8 » March 15th, 2019, 10:56 am

I don't disagree. Was just throwing it out there for discussion but I would add that if they had performed any better over the course of the entire year, don't you think the majority of the bench would (a) already have more minutes and/or (b) sent Malwien to the bench?

Joey admitted and bhoovy agreed that Cartier didn't really look "rusty" so I'd ask: does the risk of him re-injuring his hand/finger outweigh getting to play in what are essentially (I didn't say totally) meaningless games? Unless of course you're WVa.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 15th, 2019, 11:00 am

when youngsters strap-it-up the competitive juices better be flowing or they'll lose. last night was classic. i've never been sold on txt to the degree others have, particularly francis and other media minions. k-state lost there without dean by 6 and completely boa'd them in bramlage. they are a good, s16 team, not elite.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » March 15th, 2019, 11:11 am

KSURFC8 wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:56 am
I don't disagree. Was just throwing it out there for discussion but I would add that if they had performed any better over the course of the entire year, don't you think the majority of the bench would (a) already have more minutes and/or (b) sent Malwien to the bench?

Joey admitted and bhoovy agreed that Cartier didn't really look "rusty" so I'd ask: does the risk of him re-injuring his hand/finger outweigh getting to play in what are essentially (I didn't say totally) meaningless games? Unless of course you're WVa.
Definitely a good discussion! I don't really know. It's one of those things where if we win the Big12 tournament and get no additional injuries, we'll look bad saying yes, glad we won out...no harm! On the other hand, if Cartier, or Stokes or any other main player gets an injury, we'll look back thinking it was a wasteful game/tournament. In the end, you play to win, so you have to take that risk to a certain extent.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » March 15th, 2019, 12:07 pm

We're there so we play. Good or bad. GO 'CATS!!