Rankings and "luck"

Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
learnin
Moderator
Posts: 11197
Joined: September 18th, 2013, 1:41 pm
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 208 times

Re: Rankings and "luck"

Post by learnin » March 14th, 2019, 12:06 am

Luck, or the lack thereof, was K-State drawing Kentucky in the first game, when Kentucky was one of the best 2 teams in the nation, but fooled around for the first half of the season to get an 8 seed.

Hypeman
Posts: 668
Joined: December 16th, 2018, 11:33 pm
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Hypeman » March 14th, 2019, 4:43 am

You have to put yourself in position for luck to even matter.

KITNooga
Posts: 3720
Joined: September 19th, 2017, 8:22 am
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by KITNooga » March 15th, 2019, 9:58 am

learnin wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 6:52 pm
No doubt that hard work, determination and talent go a long way. Yet, luck also figures, heavily, into the equation. Let's say through hard work, good scheming and determination, you are able to make a game of it. Let's say you win 10 games that came down to the last minute. In those games, you're still playing the odds. The other team has to miss it's shots and you have to make yours when it counts. Now, even the best teams shoot only around 50%.
my dad always said 'winners find a way'.

a great example of this? Colin Klein led KSU football teams.
These users liked KITNooga for the post:
learnin (March 15th, 2019, 10:14 am)

learnin
Moderator
Posts: 11197
Joined: September 18th, 2013, 1:41 pm
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 208 times

Post by learnin » March 15th, 2019, 10:12 am

Hypeman wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 4:43 am
You have to put yourself in position for luck to even matter.
Wrong. You can’t put yourself in position without luck to begin with. If Zion Williamson goes down for the year at start of season, Duke not a contender for Championship. No one has anything without a gift to begin with

learnin
Moderator
Posts: 11197
Joined: September 18th, 2013, 1:41 pm
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 208 times

Post by learnin » March 15th, 2019, 10:13 am

You have nothing without a gift starting the process. If you don’t understand this, your life is way off track

learnin
Moderator
Posts: 11197
Joined: September 18th, 2013, 1:41 pm
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 208 times

Post by learnin » March 15th, 2019, 10:16 am

KITNooga wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 9:58 am
learnin wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 6:52 pm
No doubt that hard work, determination and talent go a long way. Yet, luck also figures, heavily, into the equation. Let's say through hard work, good scheming and determination, you are able to make a game of it. Let's say you win 10 games that came down to the last minute. In those games, you're still playing the odds. The other team has to miss it's shots and you have to make yours when it counts. Now, even the best teams shoot only around 50%.
my dad always said 'winners find a way'.

a great example of this? Colin Klein led KSU football teams.
If Collin had broken a leg first game, he wouldn’t have accomplished a thing on football field and he would be the first to tell you that the praise belongs, firstly, to a higher force.

KITNooga
Posts: 3720
Joined: September 19th, 2017, 8:22 am
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by KITNooga » March 15th, 2019, 10:19 am

learnin wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:16 am
If Collin had broken a leg first game, he wouldn’t have accomplished a thing on football field and he would be the first to tell you that the praise belongs, firstly, to a higher force.
fair enough. but I doubt Colin would reference 'force'. suspect he'd be a bit more specific.

Highway26north
Posts: 309
Joined: March 23rd, 2018, 12:32 am
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Highway26north » March 15th, 2019, 10:26 am

All these comments underscore the stupidity of the original story-as if "luck" is something you can quantify based on analysis of strength of schedule and margin of victory. I had the recollection that there was some old saying about luck (a "jealous mistress" or some such thing), but I guess I was mistaken. I googled and couldn't find it. The best thing I found in my search: Good luck is when opportunity meets preparation.

powercat5000
Posts: 659
Joined: September 16th, 2013, 4:53 pm
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by powercat5000 » March 15th, 2019, 10:33 am

learnin wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:16 am
KITNooga wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 9:58 am


my dad always said 'winners find a way'.

a great example of this? Colin Klein led KSU football teams.
If Collin had broken a leg first game, he wouldn’t have accomplished a thing on football field and he would be the first to tell you that the praise belongs, firstly, to a higher force.
Well played, now the cats just have to force their way into the title game.

Hypeman
Posts: 668
Joined: December 16th, 2018, 11:33 pm
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Hypeman » March 15th, 2019, 1:37 pm

learnin wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:12 am
Hypeman wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 4:43 am
You have to put yourself in position for luck to even matter.
Wrong. You can’t put yourself in position without luck to begin with. If Zion Williamson goes down for the year at start of season, Duke not a contender for Championship. No one has anything without a gift to begin with
This is hoops, not life. Luck has a way of balancing its way out over a season, but it is very recognizable when a team gets a little luck at the end of a game. Good example, Texas Southern at KSU a few years ago. Who would guess they would get lucky when the home teams clock operator screws up in their favor. But, by staying in the game and being in position, they got lucky.

Hoops and life are vastly different things. One is a game and the other is real. If one doesn’t understand that, their life is probably way off track.

Post Reply