Dean Wade hurt?

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
xtrawildcat

Re: Dean Wade hurt?

Post by xtrawildcat » March 11th, 2019, 9:53 pm

Win the tournament, grab a three seed ahead of TT. Probably puts us in Tulsa and then KC for the NCAA. That would be important for making another run. Coaches , doctors and Dean will make the best decision for Dean long term and we all should be happy with whatevery they decide

learnin

Post by learnin » March 11th, 2019, 11:20 pm

kstueve wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 7:39 pm
bigpurpleman wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 4:29 pm
I’m hearing rumblings that aren’t good. Like broken bone. If true he is done. I hope it’s just a rumor. I don’t expect another run like we had last year without Wade.
I doubt he broke a bone in the 1st half, came back in and played most of the 2nd, and celebrated all night without noticing
He was also not in a boot on Sunday while out eating......and was not limping.....

bigpurpleman

Post by bigpurpleman » March 11th, 2019, 11:34 pm

Hoopsfan63 wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 7:47 pm
bigpurpleman wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 4:29 pm
I’m hearing rumblings that aren’t good. Like broken bone. If true he is done. I hope it’s just a rumor. I don’t expect another run like we had last year without Wade.
If he had a broken bone I don’t think he would be listed as being questionable to play in the Big 12 tournament. I also don’t think he would’ve been able to go out and play the entire 2nd half like he did, and then celebrate afterwards.
Hoping he’s full stength for the big dance, along with Diarra.

learnin

Post by learnin » March 11th, 2019, 11:44 pm

This is the easiest road, K-State has had in a long time, to win a conference championship and conference tournament. That would be huge in the history of K-State basketball. There's a good chance KU will not be playing in the conference championship game, which means Kansas State will have a huge fan advantage Saturday evening.

This whole discussion may be a moot point as Dean has been moved from questionable to doubtful for the tournament. When I first heard this, I, immediately, thought Dean might have had a scan today that showed a stress fracture. Something made them move him from questionable to doubtful.

If it's simply a sore foot, and not a fracture of some sort, I would say sit him out as long as possible, especially in the first game. Keep him out in the second game until which time it looks as if we're not going to get the job done unless he plays. Then play him, for sure, in the championship game.
It would be huge, for NCAA hopes, to get a 3 seed and to be able to play close to home in first two rounds.

Keep in mind. All of my mental gymnastics, here, are dependent on knowledge none of us are privy to at this point in time.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » March 12th, 2019, 12:06 am

I don't give one rip about how we finish in the conf. tourney. Rest Wade. Win or lose, I'm still gonna be there in the courtyard because it's a blast, even in the years we've we sucked. I'd rather watch the games on the big screen as opposed to a way over priced ticket anyhow. It's way more fun.

If you've never been, you need to go. The P&L courtyard is twice as much fun as the actual game. You still get to watch and cheer for the Cats, interact with fans from multiple Universities, and have beverages within spitting distance if you do it right.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » March 12th, 2019, 12:37 am

Ksustephens wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 9:07 pm
Speak for yourself - a lot of KState fans are going to be in downtown KC this week - spending a lot of money - I care if they do well in the tourney because of all the money and boost to economy in Kansas City - playing in some tourney game along way from home isn’t as interesting - it’s on TV and no local feel
pulitzerdave wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 11:51 am
I just don't see playing Dean at all in this meaningless tournament. Folks, these will be three games back to back to back. Weigh that against playing twice a week (NCAA Tournament) like we normally do.

OK, so we play Dean and he gets progressively worse, and by game 3 (if we get there) he's either far less effective, or so sore that he can't play in the championship game. What have we really accomplished? Nothing! We are not likely to win the championship game without a healthy Dean Wade, and even if we do, have we improved our seed? Maybe one spot. So what!

If we lose in the first round of the Big 12 Tournament, that could be a blessing in disguise. I don't like losing any game, but Wade, Stokes and possibly Diarra (if he plays some in game one) get 10-11 days to figure out the amount of rest/practice necessary to get ready for a tournament that is much more important than this cash cow, Big 12 conference canard. Besides, I don't see us dropping two seeds because he lose one game. That seems a little absurd, given what we've just accomplished.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE BIG 12 TOURNAMENT, and neither should any of us. It's just too big of a gamble for what little return we would get from it.

I'm putting my eggs in the much bigger NCAA basket, where they belong.

The issue is the health of the team, and getting ready for a far more important tournament, not boosting the economy of Kansas City or having a good time with your buddies. But by all means, go have a good time. The only thing I care about is seeing Dean Wade in street clothes.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » March 12th, 2019, 12:50 am

If you were forced to choose one over the other, which would you take - A Big 12 Tournament trophy or a Final Four? I could even drop that down to another Elite 8.

That may be the reality we face based on a decision that's made.

Or maybe we can manage to screw both of them up so that fans can see Dean Wade play in Kansas City. Wouldn't that be fun. Whoopee, let's go for broke and bring back that Big 12 Tournament title ... sore feet and all.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » March 12th, 2019, 7:08 am

thinking about this. would a Big XII tournament championship be better/worse than a second, perhaps third round appearance in the NCAAs?

we could sit some guys in KC and go out in first round of the NCAA. how smart would we look then?
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » March 12th, 2019, 7:52 am

Dean's Kansas State career is drawing to a close (or God forbid already has). He could be looking at 2 games left. As we well know you take NOTHING for granted at this time of year. At this point, the only ones with direct knowledge are Dean, his parents, Weber and his doctors. I think we're all being a little selfish trying to put him into each one of our boxes. I'm also positive the opinions on this or any other social media have absolutely zero influence on how this plays out. I'm sure whatever his decision he will want to be a key contributor to another win.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » March 12th, 2019, 8:27 am

hilltopwildcat wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 7:52 am
Dean's Kansas State career is drawing to a close (or God forbid already has). He could be looking at 2 games left. As we well know you take NOTHING for granted at this time of year. At this point, the only ones with direct knowledge are Dean, his parents, Weber and his doctors. I think we're all being a little selfish trying to put him into each one of our boxes. I'm also positive the opinions on this or any other social media have absolutely zero influence on how this plays out. I'm sure whatever his decision he will want to be a key contributor to another win.

There is no selfish box, only Dean's box. Hell, he may be done for all we know. But here's what we do know. He's struggled to finish the season with chronic foot problems. He hurt his foot again in the last game. He was downgraded from questionable to doubtful for the Big 12 Tournament. Wouldn't it be prudent to err on the side of caution?

If he does only have a few games left this season, I'd rather he play them beginning next week than this week so that he can be closer to 100%.

I think every fan who wants to should go to Kansas City, watch a few games, down a few beers in the Power and Light district and celebrate our Big 12 regular season championship.