learnin
Has liked: 376 times
Been liked: 185 times

Re: Ranked 18th in New AP Poll

Post by learnin » February 11th, 2019, 1:59 pm

Wildcat97 wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 1:26 pm
Cheaters lose 2 of 3 last week and fall one spot. What a joke
And that's precisely why rankings, at this point, mean a great deal. I can see a scenario whereby Kansas State wins the conference at 13-5 and gets a 3 or 4 seed in the tournament. If Iowa State, Kansas or Texas Tech wins conference at 13-5, they would get a 1 or 2 seed guaranteed. If Kansas State runs the table, they might get a 1 or 2 seed.

Look. I don't give a flying flip about rankings. I could care less about what the "experts" think. I'm only looking for bias. I guarantee you that KU's loss, at West Virginia, was just as bad as K-State's loss at Tulsa, but it doesn't really hurt them. By what process of logic, could you possibly rank KU ahead of K-State after K-State has beaten them head to head and has a better conference and road record? How could you possibly rank them ahead knowing that they are down 4 players and are playing a bunch of freshmen? I'm not saying that Kansas State will finish ahead of KU. K-State could fall apart and lose out. I'm simply saying that, as of now, logic tells you that you should rank K-State ahead of Kansas.

Once again, I emphasize that I really don't care if KU is ranked ahead of Kansas State. Rankings, from experts, mean nothing to me. Bias does mean something because, unfortunately, human bias does factor in to the selection process and seeding.

kinsleycat
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by kinsleycat » February 11th, 2019, 2:02 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 1:27 pm
ajcksu82 wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 1:22 pm
Yet the NCAA had ISU in it's top 16 and a 4 seed.
before their loss to tcu at ames?
I saw it and I believe they had ISU at 13, and yes, that was before they laid an egg at home,

opcat7755
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 91 times

Pick 'Em

Post by opcat7755 » February 11th, 2019, 2:19 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 1:27 pm
ajcksu82 wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 1:22 pm
Yet the NCAA had ISU in it's top 16 and a 4 seed.
before their loss to tcu at ames?
Appears it was during the game??

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 822871002/

IStillLikeHarv
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 119 times

Post by IStillLikeHarv » February 11th, 2019, 2:24 pm

KSU is also #18 in the USA Coaches poll today.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

:clap:

kinsleycat
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by kinsleycat » February 11th, 2019, 2:46 pm

No. 28 in the NET rankings

Wyldkatz
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by Wyldkatz » February 11th, 2019, 4:25 pm

I am afraid the 8 game win streak ends on Tuesday night. Tough opponent, on the road, and we are now the hunted. Kstate has struggled in the past to score inside against a true shot blocker like Hayes is. I hope I am wrong, but Kstate needs that chip on their shoulder and the mentality that they are being overlooked. It fuels their fire. UT struggles to score at times, much like Kstate, it is doable, but just dont have a good feeling. With that said, if they lose Tuesday night or whenever they lose. I hope KSU fans are appreciative of the turnaround that this team was able to make and realize that the conference title is still in reach. A loss is gonna happen sooner rather than later, please keep the faith when it does.

BamaCat
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by BamaCat » February 11th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Wyldkatz wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 4:25 pm
I am afraid the 8 game win streak ends on Tuesday night. Tough opponent, on the road, and we are now the hunted. Kstate has struggled in the past to score inside against a true shot blocker like Hayes is. I hope I am wrong, but Kstate needs that chip on their shoulder and the mentality that they are being overlooked. It fuels their fire. UT struggles to score at times, much like Kstate, it is doable, but just dont have a good feeling. With that said, if they lose Tuesday night or whenever they lose. I hope KSU fans are appreciative of the turnaround that this team was able to make and realize that the conference title is still in reach. A loss is gonna happen sooner rather than later, please keep the faith when it does.
"Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves Moriarty?"
These users liked BamaCat for the post:
kstueve (February 11th, 2019, 6:03 pm)

PurpleOnWhite
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by PurpleOnWhite » February 11th, 2019, 4:58 pm

The odds are rather high that we’ll lose sometime during the remaining conference games. With that said, this senior-laden team, along with Cartier and Mike, are very grounded and seem to handle adversity well. They know what is there for the taking and I don’t expect any major let downs during conference play. We may run into a buzzsaw and get our heads handed to us. But, we just as well can be the buzzsaw.

Jax
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Jax » February 11th, 2019, 5:00 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 12:59 pm
rankings are like a 'grade.' they are a reflection of what has already happened, not what's to come. that's why i hate them. the joy is in the doing, not someone's after-the-fact perception of its value.
Excellent points Tmcats. I also notice that the Cats are surging in the brackets, but again it's not what we did last week since all of that is subject to change (hopefully for the better), as the season winds down.
These users liked Jax for the post:
tmcats (February 11th, 2019, 6:02 pm)
The problem with dividing a cake where everyone believes they got the biggest piece, is when someone wants the whole cake.

Wildestcat
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Wildestcat » February 11th, 2019, 6:11 pm

learnin wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 1:59 pm
Wildcat97 wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 1:26 pm
Cheaters lose 2 of 3 last week and fall one spot. What a joke
And that's precisely why rankings, at this point, mean a great deal. I can see a scenario whereby Kansas State wins the conference at 13-5 and gets a 3 or 4 seed in the tournament. If Iowa State, Kansas or Texas Tech wins conference at 13-5, they would get a 1 or 2 seed guaranteed. If Kansas State runs the table, they might get a 1 or 2 seed.

Look. I don't give a flying flip about rankings. I could care less about what the "experts" think. I'm only looking for bias. I guarantee you that KU's loss, at West Virginia, was just as bad as K-State's loss at Tulsa, but it doesn't really hurt them. By what process of logic, could you possibly rank KU ahead of K-State after K-State has beaten them head to head and has a better conference and road record? How could you possibly rank them ahead knowing that they are down 4 players and are playing a bunch of freshmen? I'm not saying that Kansas State will finish ahead of KU. K-State could fall apart and lose out. I'm simply saying that, as of now, logic tells you that you should rank K-State ahead of Kansas.

Once again, I emphasize that I really don't care if KU is ranked ahead of Kansas State. Rankings, from experts, mean nothing to me. Bias does mean something because, unfortunately, human bias does factor in to the selection process and seeding.
I can understand why they would rank us that way this year. Our offense rankings are dismal. We are far from a complete team but so far the defense has been enough. We start clicking on O then it will fall into place and I won't be an absolute nervous wreck in the tournament. Start dunking every chance we get!