Longest Conference Streak in a half CENTURY

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
KITNooga

Re: Longest Conference Streak in a half CENTURY

Post by KITNooga » February 11th, 2019, 4:26 pm

ksuatheart wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 8:41 am
Also, they had these two streaks that ran multiple seasons that I didn't catch at first: 1997-1998 12 games and 1998-1999 15 games.

Of course, if we win out, our 16 game winning streak across the last 16 games of this season would match KU's single season 16 game streak from '02. Something to shoot for there.
interesting discussion.

I'm wondering, with all we have to 'shoot for', without those goals, which games do you think the Cats were planning on losing?
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » February 11th, 2019, 5:29 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 1:30 pm
WIldWIllieCat wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 1:09 pm
Charisma is a thing, no use pretending it's not.
I would argue integrity is a much more important thing, but that doesn't mean charisma stops being a thing.
no doubt, the "f... you" generation was taken by his bluster and bullying.
Strange, when taken in a larger cultural context....you know, beyond sports.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » February 11th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Puffdad wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 1:38 pm
Hypeman wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 1:25 pm

I never figured out how acting like an ahole equaled charisma. I get it that for a large number of folks it does, but I just don’t get it.
Agree with both of you, but unfortunately , not all that uncommon in this day and age.
Those who live in glass houses should refrain from throwing stones..... :rofl: :rofl:

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » February 11th, 2019, 7:15 pm

hilltopwildcat wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 7:11 pm
Those who live in glass houses should refrain from throwing stones..... :rofl: :rofl:
or be very, very accurate
:thumbsup:
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » February 11th, 2019, 7:41 pm

KITNooga wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 7:15 pm
hilltopwildcat wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 7:11 pm
or be very, very accurate
:thumbsup:
:clap:

OK, that was funny! Unless they were talking about me, in which case, stay off my lawn!

DeereCatFan

Pick 'Em

Post by DeereCatFan » February 13th, 2019, 4:52 am

learnin wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 1:40 pm
DeereCatFan wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Ah. Good old hindsight. It’s always 20/20. Not trying to be negative here, but gUessing many of the folks commenting on how great Bruce is now were singing a different tune after the Tulsa games or maybe Ou previous year. Just saying people have a right to complain if they want
There's a difference between complaining and looking for something to complain about. There's a difference between hiding when things are going very well (conference championship-elite8-eight conference wins in a row) and suddenly appearing with a bad loss.
I get what you're saying learnin.. And I agree people do look for things to complain about. I really try not to do that. I don't comment a lot on the board. Only some, but I'll tell you what I couldn't keep mum about a fricking horrible loss to a lousy A&M team. Tulsa? How in the hell did that happen? Especially compared to the fantastic wins they are having now. Those 2 bad losses just struck a nerve with me.
I am enjoying the wave of wins - unfortunately I can't stream them in Europe while I'm here for a bit. I can only read about the games, so really can't comment on what is happening during a game. Maybe I need to stay over here :) .......

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » February 13th, 2019, 6:51 am

Watch the scores every night. There are upset losses every night. That’s basketball. Much more unpredictable sport than football. That’s why it’s much more fun to watch! .....sorry

ksuatheart

Post by ksuatheart » February 13th, 2019, 6:59 am

KITNooga wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 4:26 pm
ksuatheart wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 8:41 am
Also, they had these two streaks that ran multiple seasons that I didn't catch at first: 1997-1998 12 games and 1998-1999 15 games.

Of course, if we win out, our 16 game winning streak across the last 16 games of this season would match KU's single season 16 game streak from '02. Something to shoot for there.
interesting discussion.

I'm wondering, with all we have to 'shoot for', without those goals, which games do you think the Cats were planning on losing?
Obviously the 'Cats can still win the conference title with 1 loss, even at KU, but there's no individual game I would say I expect the 'Cats to lose although losing to KU obviously wouldn't suprise me. What I really love about this team is the attitude. They really play like stubborn bulldogs (too bad it's not really a Wildcat trait) who won't be denied. This to me feels very like the team has taken on the aura of the team that made that run through the tournament last year. They understand that if they play defense and hit a few shots, they are going to beat the other team. Even when they were down against both Baylor and Texas early in the second half, it had an air of inevitablity that they were going to win the game. Maybe it's even getting in the other team's head that they don't have a very large margin for error against a team that has the experience and KNOWS HOW TO WIN. Such a huge turn around from two years ago when we were starting to doubt that these seniors were going to figure it out.

Kralicek

Post by Kralicek » February 13th, 2019, 9:35 am

ksuatheart wrote:
February 13th, 2019, 6:59 am
KITNooga wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 4:26 pm

interesting discussion.

Obviously the 'Cats can still win the conference title with 1 loss, even at KU, but there's no individual game I would say I expect the 'Cats to lose although losing to KU obviously wouldn't suprise me. What I really love about this team is the attitude. They really play like stubborn bulldogs (too bad it's not really a Wildcat trait) who won't be denied. This to me feels very like the team has taken on the aura of the team that made that run through the tournament last year. They understand that if they play defense and hit a few shots, they are going to beat the other team. Even when they were down against both Baylor and Texas early in the second half, it had an air of inevitablity that they were going to win the game. Maybe it's even getting in the other team's head that they don't have a very large margin for error against a team that has the experience and KNOWS HOW TO WIN. Such a huge turn around from two years ago when we were starting to doubt that these seniors were going to figure it out.
I agree, 2 years ago we would inevitably lose these back and forth games because the other team would perform better down the stretch but not this year!

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » February 13th, 2019, 10:19 am

ksuatheart wrote:
February 13th, 2019, 6:59 am
This to me feels very like the team has taken on the aura of the team that made that run through the tournament last year. They understand that if they play defense and hit a few shots, they are going to beat the other team. Even when they were down against both Baylor and Texas early in the second half, it had an air of inevitablity that they were going to win the game.
I don't know that I've seen something like this since the hartmann days. jankovich, nealy et al. they'd be behind most of the game and then close, go ahead in final minutes. a LOT.

again, let me mumble something about the preciousness of upperclassmen on the floor as opposed to 'the new hotness'