i just smile and shake my head ...

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
tmcats

Pick 'Em

i just smile and shake my head ...

Post by tmcats » February 8th, 2019, 11:46 am

Why is there something rather than nothing?

Jax

Pick 'Em

Post by Jax » February 8th, 2019, 11:58 am

Wow if I am reading a stat I just saw correctly, it has been 43 seasons since KU ended a season not ranked.
We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are. - Anaïs Nin

learnin

Post by learnin » February 8th, 2019, 12:01 pm

This is unbelievable. Iowa State and Texas Yech. How do you put them ahead of Kstate at this point?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 8th, 2019, 12:08 pm

learnin wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 12:01 pm
This is unbelievable. Iowa State and Texas Yech. How do you put them ahead of Kstate at this point?
that's why i smile, actually, it's called a smug. i mean, k-state just manhandled TxT. 8-)

Jax

Pick 'Em

Post by Jax » February 8th, 2019, 12:13 pm

I am not as concerned about K-State not being ranked. In fact I probably like it this way to keep the edge. What does concern me a bit is teams dropping out the rankings are not being replaced with other teams in the league. It could give a misconception that the league is not as strong this year.
We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are. - Anaïs Nin

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » February 8th, 2019, 12:37 pm

They rank the top 19? Fair enough... I'd put KSU in around 20-25 range right now. If it wasn't for the T A&M game, we'd be 7-8 places higher, and one of the hottest teams in the country. If we could have beaten both TA&M and Tulsa, we'd be pushing the Top10 after the KU win. But those 2 losses knock us down 7-8 places each IMO. Beat Baylor at Baylor tomorrow and we'll be around 20, on Monday, would be my guess.

But I like when we aren't ranked as we play better!
Last edited by KsJoey on February 8th, 2019, 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » February 8th, 2019, 12:49 pm

And yet none of the ranked teams have Tulsa/A&M type losses. And there are those on this forum who either want to ignore those losses, or greatly minimize their impact on ratings. These games are a stain on our record. They happened. Both with Dean Wade in the lineup. One of those losses came when this team was on a winning streak and riding high. That's the one that really gave pause to those ranking the best teams in the country. If as a team, players are going to prioritize games as to their importance, and which games to fully engage in, then they should be willing to accept the results of polls. Frankly, I don't think the players care that much about polls, only fans. There is no disrespect intended, as some are intimating, only puzzling questions about our play and focus against lesser teams. When it comes to ranking teams, every game counts and is taken into consideration. Those who poll are charged with examining the entire record of a team. One major glitch may be an anomaly, two is not easily dismissed.

IF we beat Baylor, we'll probably be ranked. But the journey to get there has been made more difficult by losing to teams who we should have beaten handily. As the expression goes, we've made our own bed ...

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 8th, 2019, 1:04 pm

And yet none of the ranked teams have Tulsa/A&M type losses. And there are those on this forum who either want to ignore those losses, or greatly minimize their impact on ratings

why do you find it necessary to write straw man arguments?

learnin

Post by learnin » February 8th, 2019, 1:24 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 12:49 pm
And yet none of the ranked teams have Tulsa/A&M type losses. And there are those on this forum who either want to ignore those losses, or greatly minimize their impact on ratings. These games are a stain on our record. They happened. Both with Dean Wade in the lineup. One of those losses came when this team was on a winning streak and riding high. That's the one that really gave pause to those ranking the best teams in the country. If as a team, players are going to prioritize games as to their importance, and which games to fully engage in, then they should be willing to accept the results of polls. Frankly, I don't think the players care that much about polls, only fans. There is no disrespect intended, as some are intimating, only puzzling questions about our play and focus against lesser teams. When it comes to ranking teams, every game counts and is taken into consideration. Those who poll are charged with examining the entire record of a team. One major glitch may be an anomaly, two is not easily dismissed.

IF we beat Baylor, we'll probably be ranked. But the journey to get there has been made more difficult by losing to teams who we should have beaten handily. As the expression goes, we've made our own bed ...

Dave, I do understand your reasoning when you bring up those two losses. My problem is that it doesn’t apply across the board. Michigan State just lost two games to very poor teams. Indiana had lost seven in a row when they knocked off the top 10 team on the top ten team’s home floor. If that wasn’t bad enough, Michigan State loses to weak and hapless Illinois. I guarantee you that Michigan State will not drop out of the top 15 because the experts will look at these as flukes...,things that happen to great teams once in a while. Kansas lost to easy pushover West Virginia and remained in the top 10. They’ll still be in top 20 after multiple losses on the road. North Carolina often lays some stinkers and remains highly ranked.

On the other hand, the experts won’t consider Iowa State’s loss, against Kansas State, as a bad loss. They won’t rank Kansas State, but you won’t lose much ground if Kansas State beats you.

We did play Tulsa and A&M at their place. While we should have won, I would say that both teams would be capable of taking out some top 20 teams on their home court on a given night. A&M did beat Alabama.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » February 8th, 2019, 1:28 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 1:04 pm
And yet none of the ranked teams have Tulsa/A&M type losses. And there are those on this forum who either want to ignore those losses, or greatly minimize their impact on ratings

why do you find it necessary to write straw man arguments?
Not a straw man argument. Go back and look at responses from posters about our two bad losses, and then let's all be responsible when making arguments given what we've posted. I know you don't like my post, but it is accurate and it is how others (not all) have tried to dismiss those losses and think that they somehow should be ignored, or "canceled out" by good wins. That's not the way it works. Those losses are the reason we are not ranked. It has nothing to do with Iowa State, or any other team.

This thread is basically an attempt to dismiss the pollsters, intimating that they have some kind of bias against K-State or that they don't fully give K-State credit for what they've achieved so far. I don't agree with that.