Northern Co. Game Thoughts

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
kearneymen
Has thanked: 0

Northern Co. Game Thoughts

Post by kearneymen » November 9th, 2013, 9:38 am

Well, that really sucked to watch but thus is life. Here are my thoughts:

Overall:
- We have to build some depth. With Gip out, Nino sick (though he played) and Jack just not ready yet we really struggled. DJ and Will had to play almost the whole game and by the end they just couldn't compete. We started the game with tons of effort and good defense, but without rest they just got blown away the last 5 minutes... basically played 7 deep the whole game.
- Iwundu and Nigel need to play more. Not just because of the depth problem, but because they are better defenders than Will and Omari and are very active on the offensive end.
- Poor crowd, but I suppose I could have (theoretically) made it to the game as well...

The Good:
- Iwundu and Foster could be really good. Foster started out great and then they keyed on him and when things got tight he became less aggressive. I think that this week the focus will be to stay aggressive. Iwundu is crazy active. I think he is a lot like McGruder only does not have as good as a shot. He just seems to be in the right spots and has a knack for scoring in the lane.
- Southwell can pass like none other... sadly most of his sweet passes were followed up with a missed shot or fumbled ball
- Our assist to turnover ratio was good
- The defense (before we got tired) was good

The Bad:
- We can't shoot. We missed a lot and by a lot. It was a horrid shooting performance.
- Our free throw percentage was beyond horrid... if we make 60% of the free throws we win the game easily... just bad bad bad
- No depth (see above)
- We missed at least 5-6 bunny shots... just could not put the ball in the hoop
- Will and Southwell had to force it too much, but they sort of had too
- DJ has not developed his offensive game, tons of easy misses. He is an energy guy and when Gip gets back he will be helpful, but not for 38 minutes per game
- We are not very good... We need Gip, Nino and Jevon at 100% ASAP. Jack needs to get into shape as well.

catl

Post by catl » November 9th, 2013, 9:43 am

The team I saw last night will compete with TCU for last in the conference if they don't find some shooting touch.

ninglu86
Been thanked: 0

Post by ninglu86 » November 9th, 2013, 9:44 am

I think your analysis is right on. I'm over it though.

First game. Excited for the next one.

iowa_wildcat

Post by iowa_wildcat » November 9th, 2013, 10:07 am

I watched a different game than most folks obviously. I will agree about the free throw shooting. Other than that, this game was on Bruce Weber. Don't get me wrong: I am a Weber fan. Bruce has to let it all hang out or this will be a long season. This team will not win with Will at the point. Weber has to go with his freshmen and let them have their ups and downs on the fly. The upperclassmen on this team cannot carry the team. If it is not going to be a great year, Bruce needs to make sure that it is a year of excitement and growth. Young guns will skin their knees often, but oh how quickly they grow and mature if not sitting on the bench.

Catscratcher

Post by Catscratcher » November 10th, 2013, 12:37 am

iowa_wildcat wrote:I watched a different game than most folks obviously. I will agree about the free throw shooting. Other than that, this game was on Bruce Weber. Don't get me wrong: I am a Weber fan. Bruce has to let it all hang out or this will be a long season. This team will not win with Will at the point. Weber has to go with his freshmen and let them have their ups and downs on the fly. The upperclassmen on this team cannot carry the team. If it is not going to be a great year, Bruce needs to make sure that it is a year of excitement and growth. Young guns will skin their knees often, but oh how quickly they grow and mature if not sitting on the bench.
I presumed all along that BW would be doing that. Maybe he needed the affirmation??
Spot-on IaWC!! :agree:
Last edited by Catscratcher on November 12th, 2013, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cats8582

Post by cats8582 » November 10th, 2013, 12:45 am

I, on the other hand, am not a Brice Weber fan. But I have every hope that his coaching will make me a fan of his. Scoreboard has a way of making folks fans of coaches.

kearneymen

Post by kearneymen » November 10th, 2013, 7:13 pm

iowa_wildcat wrote:I watched a different game than most folks obviously. I will agree about the free throw shooting. Other than that, this game was on Bruce Weber. Don't get me wrong: I am a Weber fan. Bruce has to let it all hang out or this will be a long season. This team will not win with Will at the point. Weber has to go with his freshmen and let them have their ups and downs on the fly. The upperclassmen on this team cannot carry the team. If it is not going to be a great year, Bruce needs to make sure that it is a year of excitement and growth. Young guns will skin their knees often, but oh how quickly they grow and mature if not sitting on the bench.
Yeah, I agree with this in general... as the game went I thought out best combo going forward would be:

PG: Nigel / Will
SG: Will / Foster / Omari
SF: Foster / Nino / Iwundu
PF: Shane / Iwundu / Nino
C: Gip / DJ

I know that is a short team, but that's what we got... but I can't see how playing Will 38 minutes at the point is good for the team. I love what he brings to the table, but he can't be a distributor, creator and shooter. He is just a shooter and at the moment struggling like others with that.

Another thought I had: with the new everything is a foul rule, I see the value of having Will on the floor as he is our best free throw guy by a lot

mobygrape

Post by mobygrape » November 11th, 2013, 2:46 pm

I wonder why the game was played on Friday night. High School Football and Soccer and bird season opener had to hurt attendance.