'Cats v 'Neers

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
kinsleycat
Has thanked: 0

Re: 'Cats v 'Neers

Post by kinsleycat » January 9th, 2019, 10:06 pm

Key stat. 'Cats only turned the ball over 6 times tonight, compared to 17 by WVU. We really needed that because we were out rebounded 37-23

learnin

Post by learnin » January 9th, 2019, 10:07 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 9:48 pm
Barry drug this team to a win, kudos to that senior for not letting his team lose a game it couldn't afford to lose. He will be sorely missed next year
Thought Weber couldn’t recruit. It wasn’t just Barry. McGuirl was just as important.

Piedmontcat

Post by Piedmontcat » January 9th, 2019, 10:16 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
Barry drug this team to a win, kudos to that senior for not letting his team lose a game it couldn't afford to lose. He will be sorely missed next year
We hadn’t seen that Barry in a while, it was sure good to see it tonight

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » January 9th, 2019, 10:17 pm

Piedmontcat wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 10:16 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
Sure looked like an in-game adjustment to me. Bruce had to spread the floor and let him go.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » January 9th, 2019, 10:19 pm

WIldWIllieCat wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 10:17 pm
Piedmontcat wrote:

Sure looked like an in-game adjustment to me. Bruce had to spread the floor and let him go.
A little more of that earlier in the game would have been nice.

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » January 9th, 2019, 10:25 pm

How do we score 3 points in 11 minutes, 18 the next 9 and then 50 in the second half? We must start the game better. We simply did not start well enough to expect to win tonight. We are damn lucky.
Win the dang day!

Piedmontcat

Post by Piedmontcat » January 9th, 2019, 10:28 pm

WIldWIllieCat wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 10:17 pm
Piedmontcat wrote:

It also helps Barry’s game immensely when other guys start making 3’s. When the help D has to honor the 3 point line, he gets a lot more room to operate.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 9th, 2019, 10:32 pm

Piedmontcat wrote:
gdgjr78 wrote:
We hit some outside shots. Barry would do that every game if we could spread the floor. McGuirl was the savior.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » January 9th, 2019, 10:35 pm

learnin wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 10:07 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
Thought Weber couldn’t recruit. It wasn’t just Barry. McGuirl was just as important.
No he wasn't, barry started penetrating (something he should be doing ALL the time) and it opened up everything. He also was hyper active on defense with his hands generating numerous steals and extra possessions. McGuirl played well and hit some big shots but Barry was the engine behind that comeback. The coaching staff either came to their senses and told him to attack the basket or he decided to do it on his own. Btw recruiting (especially in regards to big guys) is still a big problem with this program. 2 pts and 4 boards from our big men tonight btw, TWO points and FOUR rebounds. One miraculous comeback doesn't change that.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » January 10th, 2019, 12:04 am

Incredibly tough gritty game by the team. They could have moped and thought here we go again and just went through the motions, but they fought instead.

And WVU, while not likely a conference contender, is not just garbage. They played Tech to a 3 point game and even led in the last 2 minutes. They’re also learning to play without an all conference player. This league has no rummies, but also no elite team either. So every night it’s a battle and a chance.

And yes other home teams that were favored have fallen behind by 20 or close to it at home and won. It happens every year multiple times. It’s basketball. A 20 point lead isn’t quite what it used to be.

I get people being frustrated during a game and posting that frustration, but some can’t even seem to enjoy the win of an incredible comeback as they have to instead grumble how we shouldn’t have been in the position and this was bad and that was bad. Good grief, just enjoy a win for a change.

There were certainly some frustration during the game but lots to make you feel good, the biggest being getting the win.

Barry got it going. McGuirl showed what many were hoping for coming in. Stokes hit big shots and even X got a little going. We were 63% from the line but you take away Trice going 0-4 and we were 80%. I’ll take that. 39% from 3 I’ll take any day. We only had 6 turnovers and to a pressure team. Give me that.

Shooting can be a contagious thing. No one was able to hit much the last few games, so the missing was contagious. Tonight several found their touch, so hitting shots was contagious. Don’t know if it means anything for Saturday with ISU, but I like it better than what we had been doing.

I have no idea what this team will make of this season but what I have seen is there is no quit in them and with that there’s always a chance.

I hope this is the night we can say this team found it and got it rolling, but I just want to see them continue what they did in the second half tonight at ISU on Saturday and go from there.

I for one am happy and thrilled with the win. Go get another on Saturday Cats.