'Cats v 'Neers

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
kinsleycat
Has thanked: 0

Re: 'Cats v 'Neers

Post by kinsleycat » January 10th, 2019, 4:57 pm

learnin wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 1:38 am
Here you go. This happened several times in the game, but not as blatant as this. The refs were blind when they wanted to be
??? Are you referring to the WVU player (West ?) hitting our player in the face along the sideline? It should have been an easy call for a flagrant 1 but inexplicably the play was not even reviewed. Can't Bruce ask for a review in that case? I was surprised that it wasn't reviewed and can't see how it was missed since it was at half court and out in the wide open.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 10th, 2019, 5:00 pm

kinsleycat wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 4:57 pm
learnin wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 1:38 am
Here you go. This happened several times in the game, but not as blatant as this. The refs were blind when they wanted to be
??? Are you referring to the WVU player (West ?) hitting our player in the face along the sideline? It should have been an easy call for a flagrant 1 but inexplicably the play was not even reviewed. Can't Bruce ask for a review in that case? I was surprised that it wasn't reviewed and can't see how it was missed since it was at half court and out in the wide open.
Yes indeed. I have no reason why one of our coaches didn’t ask for a review. I was hollering for one

learnin

Post by learnin » January 10th, 2019, 5:10 pm

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 1:52 pm
The only things this victory really brought KSU are hope and time, but right now those are two precious commodities.

I certainly agree that anyone who is convinced that KSU has smooth sailing from here on is overly optimistic to say the least. But, by the same token, this win certainly improves the odds that KSU can weather the storm until Dean returns. With 16 games to go, I would absolutely settle for 9 wins in the next 16 games, and this win is an important step in the right direction. Lots more important steps are needed, and enjoying this victory should not blind anyone to that even larger truth.

Every remaining game until Dean returns is an opportunity to steal a game (especially road games) in my opinion. I do expect KSU to continue to play great defense most of the time, but without Dean I think the offense will remain a struggle -- but hopefully not like the first 24 minutes last night.
No team, in this conference, is going to have smooth sailing. Every team will face a challeng almost every night.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 10th, 2019, 5:17 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 2:10 pm
IStillLikeHarv wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 1:52 pm
The only things this victory really brought KSU are hope and time, but right now those are two precious commodities.

I certainly agree that anyone who is convinced that KSU has smooth sailing from here on is overly optimistic to say the least. But, by the same token, this win certainly improves the odds that KSU can weather the storm until Dean returns. With 16 games to go, I would absolutely settle for 9 wins in the next 16 games, and this win is an important step in the right direction. Lots more important steps are needed, and enjoying this victory should not blind anyone to that even larger truth.

Every remaining game until Dean returns is an opportunity to steal a game (especially road games) in my opinion. I do expect KSU to continue to play great defense most of the time, but without Dean I think the offense will remain a struggle -- but hopefully not like the first 24 minutes last night.
Listening to Weber on the pre game last night it sounded like we could have Dean back in a game or two. He is to the point of working out and if he can remain pain free I would guess the next step is limited minutes in games. Weber also said even after he is back it will take a couple of games for him to get back into game flow and rhythm.

One other positive from last night is I think we'll have minutes more defined in the next few games with SNW and McGuirl getting more and Diarra less. Diarra is going to have to earn his minutes back and thats a good thing and might help him snap out of his slump.
Glad you brought this up Xtra. Speaking of Cartier. There is no doubt Cartier’s doldrums have kept this team from being more productive on offense. I remarked early on that I did not like his body language and unfocused play. I don’t know what’s been going on in his head, but I think last night might have been a real slap in his face. Twitter had a post of Cartier remaining in the gym quite a while after all had left to get up some shots. We can only hope this shock will spur him on to return to form.

Watutalkaboutwillis

Pick 'Em

Post by Watutalkaboutwillis » January 10th, 2019, 5:47 pm

The senior leadership at half is what brought them out. It needed to happen earlier in the year but Barry had his Pullen moment this game. it was reported he told the team that if they didn't think they could win the game to not even step foot on the court. then seeing Wade pull the starters together before the half and give them the pep talk was outstanding. And also Weber getting into McGuirl's head and fixing it seemed to help. He now needs to work on Diarra and the posts. Mawein, Stockard, love was like 36 minutes of 0 points. 13 fouls. Woof

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » January 10th, 2019, 7:01 pm

learnin wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 5:17 pm
xtrawildcat wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Listening to Weber on the pre game last night it sounded like we could have Dean back in a game or two. He is to the point of working out and if he can remain pain free I would guess the next step is limited minutes in games. Weber also said even after he is back it will take a couple of games for him to get back into game flow and rhythm.

One other positive from last night is I think we'll have minutes more defined in the next few games with SNW and McGuirl getting more and Diarra less. Diarra is going to have to earn his minutes back and thats a good thing and might help him snap out of his slump.
Glad you brought this up Xtra. Speaking of Cartier. There is no doubt Cartier’s doldrums have kept this team from being more productive on offense. I remarked early on that I did not like his body language and unfocused play. I don’t know what’s been going on in his head, but I think last night might have been a real slap in his face. Twitter had a post of Cartier remaining in the gym quite a while after all had left to get up some shots. We can only hope this shock will spur him on to return to form.
I watched the Wichita news last night when I got home and they had a feed from the Bramlage floor. (probably pre recorded but some time after the game. Diarra was in the background working on step back threes with a trainer rebounding for him. I thought maybe he is working on a way to get his shot off. Regardless, just an indication how important this is to him.

Also, quite a bit of commentary going around about him showing a lack of effort by not diving on a floor for a loose ball. He ran and reached for it and the wVU player dove on the floor and was able to pry it away from Diarra. I think he made a judgement on the what he thought the right play for that situation was and he was wrong. More a bad judgement than lack of effort. ( Just my opinion.)

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » January 10th, 2019, 9:22 pm

Again, many of you have totally missed the point. This "one game at a time" cliche is exactly that. A little 5-word slogan that ignores what's happened in the previous number of games, which now comprise half of the season. The fact is, and still remains, that this team has not played all that well ... certainly not up to their own expectations. One comeback victory over a very mediocre West Virginia squad means very little unless it can be followed up with improvement and momentum can be achieved because of it. Momentum seems to be something that this team struggles to achieve. So, let's wait and see what happens. Will this victory help our shooters make more baskets? Will it make our bigs more effective? Will it break certain players out of a season-long slump? We'll see. But I'm not buying any of it yet until I see more than 18 minutes of good basketball. Why? Because there's been so many other minutes of BAD basketball.

NOT GIDDY YET.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » January 10th, 2019, 11:19 pm

I think the point is a lot of us enjoyed that win. For me it was very satisfying as we beat Huggins in a way that has WVU fans calling it one of the worst losses in the Huggins era. Now we play two really tough games on the road where a loss will be expected. I have not seen any posters predicting either of those as wins. But this win takes a little bit of pressure off. So maybe we can steal one of the next two. And win or lose, decent chance we get Dean back and see what we can do then.
And if they don't get Dean back healthy, all they can do is keep fighting.

And as another poster said. Every Big 12 win is hard to get and to be celebrated.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 11th, 2019, 2:20 am

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm giddy because a loss, the other night against West Virginia, would probably have dug too deep a hole for this team to climb out of for a number of reasons. It would have shattered what little remained of confidence. I'm giddy because this team has never been one that is good coming from behind. Twice, this year, they've come back from a huge deficit. I'm giddy because, the greatest come back in K-State history, showed me that the spark of greatness is still burning in this team somewhere down deep and can be stoked into another run. I'm giddy because Mike McGuirl is the ball player I thought he was. It told me that last year wasn't a fluke. I'm giddy because this team came back from 21 points while West Virginia didn't roll over and play dead. They continued to score. I'm giddy because Dean may be coming back soon.

I'm not giddy about any upcoming game. From what I've seen no fan, of any of these Big XII teams, should be giddy about their team beating another team on any given night. This conference is going to be a dog fight.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » January 11th, 2019, 10:18 am

learnin wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 2:20 am
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm giddy because a loss, the other night against West Virginia, would probably have dug too deep a hole for this team to climb out of for a number of reasons. It would have shattered what little remained of confidence. I'm giddy because this team has never been one that is good coming from behind. Twice, this year, they've come back from a huge deficit. I'm giddy because, the greatest come back in K-State history, showed me that the spark of greatness is still burning in this team somewhere down deep and can be stoked into another run. I'm giddy because Mike McGuirl is the ball player I thought he was. It told me that last year wasn't a fluke. I'm giddy because this team came back from 21 points while West Virginia didn't roll over and play dead. They continued to score. I'm giddy because Dean may be coming back soon.

I'm not giddy about any upcoming game. From what I've seen no fan, of any of these Big XII teams, should be giddy about their team beating another team on any given night. This conference is going to be a dog fight.

Well, I wasn't giddy before I read your post, but now... :D

While giving an "Amen" to your last comment, there certainly are reasons to feel good about that comeback against WVU, and some of those reasons may have longer term implications. No guarantees, of course, but reasons for hope -- and hope would have been a rare commodity indeed if KSU had not COMPLETED that amazing comeback.