'Cats v 'Neers

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
KITNooga

Re: 'Cats v 'Neers

Post by KITNooga » January 10th, 2019, 11:12 am

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 9:50 pm
it wasn't just a 21-point comeback (those are rare, but they happen), it was how poorly the team played for the first 24 minutes and how well they played the last 16 minutes.
hmmm. it's almost like there actually IS talent on this team even with DW on the bench?
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » January 10th, 2019, 12:47 pm

A quick take on those posters calling out me and others about not enjoying a win. That's not the point at all. But here is the point. We just won a game that we should have won. It might be the easiest conference game on the schedule. They were without their best player, and we were without ours. Those players are both preseason first team All-Conference. So that cancels out, and eliminates any excuses. (And please, no rationalizations about which of these two are more valuable to their team - that's immeasurable.

For over 20 minutes we were about as bad as we can be. We dug a hole that we've seen before. This is the first time that we've been able to dig out of it. It's exciting and exhilarating that we able to do that, and that's the elixir that many are now drinking. I get it. There were also some positive signs, especially the play of McGuirl. That's also good ... if it can continue. Barry Brown also started playing like he did last year. That's also good, and as learnin pointed out, it was possible because McGuirl was hitting shots.

But what else have we seen this season to give us all confidence that this can be sustainable? Along with the positive that lasted for 18 minutes, there were negatives that can't be ignored, and will be vital issues going forward. As one poster pointed out, our 4 bigs produced 2 points and 4 rebounds in a combined 40 plus minutes. Add to that the flurry of fouls committed by this group. We'll still need good play and solid minutes from Cartier, which hasn't happened very often. We still need better shooting from X.

So count me as one who remains hopeful, but also skeptical. That's where I'm at. I'll start getting giddy if and when we beat KU and start stringing some wins together. That's what was expected of this team from the very beginning. Why shrink from that standard and get all worked up over a win over a team that will not make the NCAA Tournament, and will likely finish in the bottom half of the conference.

I go back to that very important word SUSTAINABLE. That's a much more important word for this season than COMEBACK. We'll see if that last 18 minutes last night means more to the season than just one victory.

Ksustephens

Post by Ksustephens » January 10th, 2019, 1:21 pm

So when Texas Tech beats West Virginia at West Virginia (Texas Tech was full strength and West Virginia was not) that was a great win but KState wins and that team wasn’t very good anyway. How much do we hear that? If KState wins than that other team must not be very good. Then we hear about how bad our coach is - well Bob Huggins is usually regarded as a better coach and the other team gave up a sizable lead. Winning in the Big 12 is tough - there are no gimmes. Iowa State who destroyed KU just got beat by Baylor. Had we beat WVU in the first game of the year would they have been better? If we would have beaten Texas they would suck at 1-2 but they beat us at 2-1 and in the top 4 of conference. This comparative analysis is ridiculous at this point in season. Every win is a good win in the Big 12.
pulitzerdave wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 12:47 pm
A quick take on those posters calling out me and others about not enjoying a win. That's not the point at all. But here is the point. We just won a game that we should have won. It might be the easiest conference game on the schedule. They were without their best player, and we were without ours. Those players are both preseason first team All-Conference. So that cancels out, and eliminates any excuses. (And please, no rationalizations about which of these two are more valuable to their team - that's immeasurable.

For over 20 minutes we were about as bad as we can be. We dug a hole that we've seen before. This is the first time that we've been able to dig out of it. It's exciting and exhilarating that we able to do that, and that's the elixir that many are now drinking. I get it. There were also some positive signs, especially the play of McGuirl. That's also good ... if it can continue. Barry Brown also started playing like he did last year. That's also good, and as learnin pointed out, it was possible because McGuirl was hitting shots.

But what else have we seen this season to give us all confidence that this can be sustainable? Along with the positive that lasted for 18 minutes, there were negatives that can't be ignored, and will be vital issues going forward. As one poster pointed out, our 4 bigs produced 2 points and 4 rebounds in a combined 40 plus minutes. Add to that the flurry of fouls committed by this group. We'll still need good play and solid minutes from Cartier, which hasn't happened very often. We still need better shooting from X.

So count me as one who remains hopeful, but also skeptical. That's where I'm at. I'll start getting giddy if and when we beat KU and start stringing some wins together. That's what was expected of this team from the very beginning. Why shrink from that standard and get all worked up over a win over a team that will not make the NCAA Tournament, and will likely finish in the bottom half of the conference.

I go back to that very important word SUSTAINABLE. That's a much more important word for this season than COMEBACK. We'll see if that last 18 minutes last night means more to the season than just one victory.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » January 10th, 2019, 1:30 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 12:47 pm

I'm in this boat
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » January 10th, 2019, 1:52 pm

The only things this victory really brought KSU are hope and time, but right now those are two precious commodities.

I certainly agree that anyone who is convinced that KSU has smooth sailing from here on is overly optimistic to say the least. But, by the same token, this win certainly improves the odds that KSU can weather the storm until Dean returns. With 16 games to go, I would absolutely settle for 9 wins in the next 16 games, and this win is an important step in the right direction. Lots more important steps are needed, and enjoying this victory should not blind anyone to that even larger truth.

Every remaining game until Dean returns is an opportunity to steal a game (especially road games) in my opinion. I do expect KSU to continue to play great defense most of the time, but without Dean I think the offense will remain a struggle -- but hopefully not like the first 24 minutes last night.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » January 10th, 2019, 2:10 pm

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 1:52 pm
The only things this victory really brought KSU are hope and time, but right now those are two precious commodities.

I certainly agree that anyone who is convinced that KSU has smooth sailing from here on is overly optimistic to say the least. But, by the same token, this win certainly improves the odds that KSU can weather the storm until Dean returns. With 16 games to go, I would absolutely settle for 9 wins in the next 16 games, and this win is an important step in the right direction. Lots more important steps are needed, and enjoying this victory should not blind anyone to that even larger truth.

Every remaining game until Dean returns is an opportunity to steal a game (especially road games) in my opinion. I do expect KSU to continue to play great defense most of the time, but without Dean I think the offense will remain a struggle -- but hopefully not like the first 24 minutes last night.
Listening to Weber on the pre game last night it sounded like we could have Dean back in a game or two. He is to the point of working out and if he can remain pain free I would guess the next step is limited minutes in games. Weber also said even after he is back it will take a couple of games for him to get back into game flow and rhythm.

One other positive from last night is I think we'll have minutes more defined in the next few games with SNW and McGuirl getting more and Diarra less. Diarra is going to have to earn his minutes back and thats a good thing and might help him snap out of his slump.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » January 10th, 2019, 2:26 pm

Saying it’s a game we should have done this or not done that is just for the most part fan speculation. It’s fans looking at schedules and records and making assumptions.

WVU is not a terrible team by any means, even it seems like some may try to make them out to be. It’s sports and if you’ve followed or watched long at all you know all kinds of things are possible. It really wouldn’t have matter if we had taken the lead and held it throughout the game. At the end we’d still be 1-2 in conference and still had losses to Texas and Tech where our offense was pretty poor. And it wouldn’t necessarily mean any more than our comeback win as we head to ISU.

You would still be hoping that we’re finally starting to find some offense and that we can still make a run to finish in the top half of the conference and play in the NCAA. And for that matter, none of their goals should be considered unattainable.

And it’s not about getting all giddy about a season with this one win, but just taking that one game, those two hours, and going through numerous emotions ending with feeling happy and filled with joy about what your team just pulled off, instead of ‘we never should have been in the situation’ or ‘this team still is a mess’ of ‘this doesn’t make up for the last few games’. Just seems can’t seem to take a second to enjoy a winning moment. Take a breath. Enjoy the victory. It’s okay. It’s not saying or acting like we just conquered the world. If you can’t enjoy some of the smaller victories in a season or life you’ll probably not find much to he happy and celebrate for a long periods of time.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 10th, 2019, 3:52 pm

bhoovy wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 2:26 pm
Saying it’s a game we should have done this or not done that is just for the most part fan speculation. It’s fans looking at schedules and records and making assumptions.

WVU is not a terrible team by any means, even it seems like some may try to make them out to be. It’s sports and if you’ve followed or watched long at all you know all kinds of things are possible. It really wouldn’t have matter if we had taken the lead and held it throughout the game. At the end we’d still be 1-2 in conference and still had losses to Texas and Tech where our offense was pretty poor. And it wouldn’t necessarily mean any more than our comeback win as we head to ISU.

You would still be hoping that we’re finally starting to find some offense and that we can still make a run to finish in the top half of the conference and play in the NCAA. And for that matter, none of their goals should be considered unattainable.

And it’s not about getting all giddy about a season with this one win, but just taking that one game, those two hours, and going through numerous emotions ending with feeling happy and filled with joy about what your team just pulled off, instead of ‘we never should have been in the situation’ or ‘this team still is a mess’ of ‘this doesn’t make up for the last few games’. Just seems can’t seem to take a second to enjoy a winning moment. Take a breath. Enjoy the victory. It’s okay. It’s not saying or acting like we just conquered the world. If you can’t enjoy some of the smaller victories in a season or life you’ll probably not find much to he happy and celebrate for a long periods of time.
bhoovy wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 2:26 pm

Thanks for the life lesson. By the way, of course it's fan speculation. This is a message board. We're fans. We speculate. Sheesh... It's fun for a lot of us. If it's not for you, that's cool. Don't play along.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » January 10th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Ksustephens wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 1:21 pm
Every win is a good win in the Big 12.
boom. drop the mic
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

kinsleycat
Has thanked: 0

Post by kinsleycat » January 10th, 2019, 4:55 pm

learnin wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 1:38 am
Here you go. This happened several times in the game, but not as blatant as this. The refs were blind when they wanted to be
??? Are you referring to the WVU player (West ?) hitting our player in the face along the sideline? It should have been an easy call for a flagrant 1 but inexplicably the play was not even reviewed. Can't Bruce ask for a review in that case? I was surprised that it wasn't reviewed and can't see how it was missed since it was at half court and out in the wide open.