Report on Players Who Signed for Next Year

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
xtrawildcat

Report on Players Who Signed for Next Year

Post by xtrawildcat » January 7th, 2019, 12:37 am

Just to catch everyone up on activities of our four recruits signed for next year. Some of this has already been posted.

1. Goodnews Kpegol Already on the team and will redshirt this year..3 star recruit 6ft 5 guard.
If you get to a game early, he is participating in warm ups.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2tlJ5SDo60

2. Dejuan Gordon 4 star recruit ranked number 114 in 247 composite. 6ft 3 off guard or wing. Best player on Curry that is the best team in Chicago.
Article from Chicago Sun Times regarding Curies win over Simeon in late December.
https://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.co ... n-pontiac/
Highlight video most of you have seen already. He has that Wes Iwundu bring it up from the left side issue with his shot. Not as bad but needs to be improved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO-EUL77GhU

3. Montavious Murphy 6ft 8-9, T3 star recruit. Playing for Averaging 20 points and 11 boards for Concodia Lutheran in the Houston area.
Highliights of game against a Georgia team with Anthony Edwards 6ft 5 guard rated number 4 in 247 composite. Murphy with 31 pts and 14 rebounds in that game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujvJwXa9Ji8

Antonio Gordon 6ft 8or9 Lawton Eisenhower. Don't have a video handy but this is a write up on a 43 point game he had. I think he had 45 in another game
https://www.swoknews.com/local-sports/e ... l-pc-north

learnin

Post by learnin » January 7th, 2019, 1:03 am

Thanks for doing this xtra. Some have been wondering about next year. Gordon is one of Chicago's best and Murphy has been doing very well in Texas. Not only that, Sneed, McGuirl, Mawein and Cartier will return. These are seeing a lot of minutes under stress because of Dean and Kamau being sidelined.

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » January 7th, 2019, 8:00 am

I think Shaun Neal-Williams has shown some real ability too.

I think we've the talent to win next year, but then again we should have the talent to win this year as well. I just hope we don't beat all the joy for the game out of 'em.

bindweed

Post by bindweed » January 7th, 2019, 9:56 am

Well said Willie, I just don't see anyone having fun on this team.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » January 7th, 2019, 10:07 am

learnin wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 1:03 am
Thanks for doing this xtra. Some have been wondering about next year. Gordon is one of Chicago's best and Murphy has been doing very well in Texas. Not only that, Sneed, McGuirl, Mawein and Cartier will return. These are seeing a lot of minutes under stress because of Dean and Kamau being sidelined.
Next year, these freshmen will be getting a good amount of minutes. They'll have to. Barry is playing most, if not all, the entire game. Plus no Stokes. Just a lot of minutes that'll be missing.

Piedmontcat

Post by Piedmontcat » January 7th, 2019, 10:10 am

bindweed wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 9:56 am
Well said Willie, I just don't see anyone having fun on this team.
Winning is fun. When you work as hard as these guys do, it’s not fun unless you are winning. The truth is we have only had 1 game they likely felt good about since Thanksgiving (Vandy). They badly need a game - very soon - where they leave the floor with the crowd cheering and a water bottle shower in the locker room.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » January 7th, 2019, 12:23 pm

Gordon should be pretty good but I'm not buying any of the other guys being ready to contribute immediately. I'm going to need to see better players on the court before I believe any recruiting hype.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » January 7th, 2019, 2:16 pm

I just hope one of these new guards is able to shoot the ball at a decent rate. We have enough of the "Gritty but can't shoot" guards to last a while.

wazucat

Post by wazucat » January 7th, 2019, 6:58 pm

WIldWIllieCat wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 8:00 am
I think Shaun Neal-Williams has shown some real ability too.

I think we've the talent to win next year, but then again we should have the talent to win this year as well. I just hope we don't beat all the joy for the game out of 'em.
Please define "win next year " ? Conference win % 55,60,65,70,75,80,85 win em all?

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » January 7th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Please, no more gritty, athletic guards who can't shoot. I want us to make baskets. I'd rather have someone like Iowa's Bohanan who can shoot the daylights out of the basketball, but may not be a great athlete.

Also, I'm going to wait and see how these recruits play against better competition. Tearing it up in high school and putting together highlight videos does not give you a complete picture of a player's ability. I admit, I've been suckered into thinking some of these guys are ready for prime time by watching their videos. No more. I want players with a high offensive ceiling. Let's get out of scoring in the 40's and 50's and get back to 21st century basketball.