COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
CinderBiscuit
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Texas Tech Game Thread

Post by CinderBiscuit » January 5th, 2019, 4:49 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 4:33 pm
I was proud of the teams fight today, I feel better about the team today than I did yesterday so that's something. This team just needs to try and get into the tourney and hopefully, with Dean healthy, make a run. I still believe the offense needs to be tailored to the players strengths. Recruiting is a problem too imo, the staff has to close the deal on better players.
This is Bruce's 7th year here. What makes you think anything is going to change? We will continue to pull in a bunch of 3 star players where "needs to develop ... " appears rampantly in their bios.

Bruce is an average coach. We shouldn't expect more than average results.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » January 5th, 2019, 6:16 pm

CinderBiscuit wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 4:49 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
I was proud of the teams fight today, I feel better about the team today than I did yesterday so that's something. This team just needs to try and get into the tourney and hopefully, with Dean healthy, make a run. I still believe the offense needs to be tailored to the players strengths. Recruiting is a problem too imo, the staff has to close the deal on better players.
This is Bruce's 7th year here. What makes you think anything is going to change? We will continue to pull in a bunch of 3 star players where "needs to develop ... " appears rampantly in their bios.

I don't necessarily think things will change. I hope they will or this will be the most disappointing KSU bball season perhaps ever.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

Sir Ocelot

Post by Sir Ocelot » January 5th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Bad work by Mawien - five turnovers.

Good work by Mawien - 11 rebounds.

Glass half empty or half full?

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » January 5th, 2019, 6:44 pm

I don't know if it was a 'great come back' only to fall short or did TT just say, collectively, "We got this game in the bag" when they were up 17-2 and we hadn't scored a field goal in the first ten and a half minutes.

I respect all the optimism on this board on how we are going to still have a terrific season. I am not seeing it. Who is it we are going to beat? Iowa State? KU? That's four losses right there. I am not up on other teams in the league, but this team is not playing good BB and it wasn't playing good BB with Wade in the lineup.

By the time Wade does get back into the line up it is going to take a lot of games for the team to adjust to him and him to the physical demands of the game.

Woe is us...
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke

flatlander

Post by flatlander » January 5th, 2019, 6:50 pm

CinderBiscuit wrote:
gdgjr78 wrote:

Fact and I don't.
:popcorn:

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » January 5th, 2019, 7:23 pm

ksustars754 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 4:48 pm
I just can’t fathom guys who could shoot decently last year, are very bad this year. How does that happen? Seriously though, I’m not a basketball guru so how does that happen?
I'm not a basketball guru but have watched some really good shooters struggle over the years. This is my opinion only: A little off on mechanics, get sped up a little, lose confidence and it snowballs. Then you are shooting to not miss rather than shooting to make it.
IE: Right now it looks like Sneed is falling back a little on his jump shots and leaving a lot of them short.

I thought the offense got us decent looks today considering how good at TT is at defense. However, one of my thoughts is maybe more of Webers old motion would help as guys coming off a screen with the purpose of taking a shot don't think as much. And thats only a thought. I'm not even advocating a change unless the coaches think it would help.

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » January 5th, 2019, 8:41 pm

It's evident that Bruce would like to win every game 1 to 0.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » January 5th, 2019, 8:43 pm

RichardZ wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 6:44 pm
I don't know if it was a 'great come back' only to fall short or did TT just say, collectively, "We got this game in the bag" when they were up 17-2 and we hadn't scored a field goal in the first ten and a half minutes.

I respect all the optimism on this board on how we are going to still have a terrific season. I am not seeing it. Who is it we are going to beat? Iowa State? KU? That's four losses right there. I am not up on other teams in the league, but this team is not playing good BB and it wasn't playing good BB with Wade in the lineup.

By the time Wade does get back into the line up it is going to take a lot of games for the team to adjust to him and him to the physical demands of the game.

Woe is us...
I don’t think there was any “we got this in the bag” attitude. That is the ebbs and flows of college basketball. Happens every week that some teams fall behind by double digits and then either come all the way back and wins or makes it interesting and falls short.

We started being more aggressive and driving the ball and either made it or got the foul. We did a better job driving and kicking out and also finding Mawein. At one point in the second half it was 6-1 in fouls in our favor. And our D was giving them fits. Culver only had 9 points and probably half of that on the line, as Barry really tied him up.

They have a tremendous D also and we didn’t work hard enough against it for the first 10 minutes or so. Once we did there were open shots. Unfortunately we still didn’t hit enough, especially from 3 which was the most brutal part for me. In today’s game you have to be able to knock it down to have a chance to win most games.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » January 5th, 2019, 8:55 pm

CinderBiscuit wrote:
gdgjr78 wrote:

Bruce is an above average coach who is a below average recruiter. That's a major problem for this program, and we will continue to struggle until we get it fixed.

We recruit good athletes (good athletes can play a stymying defense) but some of the 3-star athletes we recruit lack in two major areas IMO. Basketball is a game that requires both art and skill. A great athlete who is short on art and skill has a lower ceiling. The art comes from a mind that understands the nuances of the game and plays the game effortlessly. That's what can be called a player's basketball IQ. The skill part comes from an abnormal eye/hand coordination which enables the player to be a great shooter of the ball, a creative passer and a great ball handler. If you're athletic, and possess those two other things, then your ceiling as a basketball player is very high, and you'll likely make a living at playing the game.

Without mentioning names, we have certain players who are gifted athletically, but are average in basketball IQ and skill areas (average for a D-1 player, not average when compared to most of us). They have a lower ceiling for improvement. I think that's why we've seen so little improvement this season from certain players. They're just not going to get much better. The most complete player we have in terms of possessing all three (athleticism, art and skill) is Dean Wade. But having just one player like this isn't enough.

An example of a past player who had both art and skill, but may not have been a super athlete, was Jacob Pullen. He was a 3-star player in high school, but his ceiling was higher than most 3-star players because he had the art and the skill. Jacob wasn't a "great" athlete, but he ended up being a very, very good basketball player for us. I think we need to start looking for more Jacob Pullens.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 5th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Agreed. We need more kids with 🔥. Kids who want to humiliate their opponent. Alleycats.