KSU vs UT Jan 1st at the Bram

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
learnin

Re: KSU vs UT Jan 1st at the Bram

Post by learnin » January 3rd, 2019, 9:11 am

Piedmontcat wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 7:32 am
At full strength, I think we are a better team than Texas. A big part of what happened in the last 10 minutes was about depth and bench play. They got 66 minutes from their bench. We got 37. They got 30 pts. We got 6. If we are at full strength, Mike & Cartier are coming off the bench and cutting their minutes significantly which keeps them and the starters fresh. At 10:46 we are up 1. They then go on to score 32 points in the next 9:00 mainly on 7 threes and 3 point blank shots by Hayes. That run doesn’t happen with fresh players on D.
You nailed it. +

learnin

Post by learnin » January 3rd, 2019, 9:17 am

gdgjr78 wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 7:47 am
What does last night say about next year? This team has regressed from last year and honestly next year I see massive massive problems. Offensively this team and program needs a complete overhaul.
Well, you got a good look at next year. For 2/3 of this game, K-State was holding their own. Will Diarra find his game again? Dajaun Gordon, recruit from Chicago, is one of Chicago's finest this year. He has been taking it to some of the best teams in Chicago. Montavious Murphy has, also, been doing very well. Mike McGuirl has scoring potential and should assume a bigger role next year.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » January 3rd, 2019, 9:35 am

Ksustephens wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 9:07 am
Next year is next year just like this year is not last year. It’s foolish to look to future based on current results. I mean look at the teams that are doing well this year that we’re not expected to because of loss of good personnel. Maybe we won’t have as many injuries sitting on the bench - maybe next year some other players will step up. Who saw an elite run last year without our best player?
gdgjr78 wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 7:47 am
What does last night say about next year? This team has regressed from last year and honestly next year I see massive massive problems. Offensively this team and program needs a complete overhaul.
Exactly. The (understandable) mistake this year was to assume the this group without Dean Wade could play as well as they did in the amazing NCAA tourney run. That doesn't necessarily happen just because it is "the same guys". Indeed, that "the same guys" argument breaks down from game to game, let alone from season to season -- and not just for KSU. Next year will be a completely different team with different dynamics and skills. At this point, the big questions are what THIS team will be able to do if Kam and Dean are out for very long. The game against Texas Tech sounds scary, but the magic of college basketball is that you never know for sure until they play the game.

Hopefully Kam and Dean will be back before too very long.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » January 3rd, 2019, 9:55 am

pulitzerdave wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 1:31 am
Read the KC Star story. Even their beat writer agreed that we weren't likely to win this game at full strength. Not the way we've been playing this season when Wade and Stokes were healthy. What I saw tonight, was a Texas team that was more talented than us, has had better recruiting classes than us, and a team that was confident and dominate, especially over the last 10 minutes. Take the blinders off folks, especially you Harv. Harv the pied piper of KSU basketball. Everybody just follows along and listens to his bullshit. He can't stand to face the truth. Which is, this basketball team is not as good as we thought it was going to be. And it's OK to say that, because it's true. But fans don't like to face the truth when it stares them in the face. We can use the excuses about injuries and such, but the fact is, we weren't playing up to expectations when Dean and Kam WERE in the lineup. Somebody stand up and tell me that we have been good this year. We dropped like a rock in the polls and score in the 40's when we lose. We supposedly have two "pros" in the lineup without Dean Wade. So much hype this year about Sneed and Brown, but neither could do anything tonight against better players. End of story!
Dave, you are preaching to the choir. I have posted consistently that KSU has been overranked since the amazing NCAA run last season. I had a recent post where I went through that run game-by- game to point out that there was no reason to believe that KSU would be anything more than "somewhere in the top 30 WITH Dean Wade", let alone without him. This is a scrappy team that when at full strength can beat some much more "talented" teams because this is truly a team, not a group of individuals each trying to "get their points".

You are the one, not me, who declared Diarra as the Second Coming who should put Kam on the bench, or have you forgotten your loudly proclaimed predictions so soon. Diarra may someday be a very good player, perhaps even better than Kam, but not yet. When healthy, Kam is the very shooter/scorer that you say KSU needs. Unfortunately he has dealt with injuries for much of his career. Sometimes that happens. Hopefully he will come back and stay healthy for the rest of this season. Sneed and Brown were outnumbered last night. They are not good enough to do it all by themselves for forty minutes against what we all agree is a very talented Texas roster. They needed help, but that help was sitting injured on the bench.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 3rd, 2019, 9:56 am

just pray dean and kam are back soon. with them, k-state is good. without them, we aren't. dropping a couple 1000 point scorers out of the lineup is obviously going to make a huge difference.
Last edited by tmcats on January 3rd, 2019, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » January 3rd, 2019, 9:57 am

learnin wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 9:11 am
Piedmontcat wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 7:32 am
At full strength, I think we are a better team than Texas. A big part of what happened in the last 10 minutes was about depth and bench play. They got 66 minutes from their bench. We got 37. They got 30 pts. We got 6. If we are at full strength, Mike & Cartier are coming off the bench and cutting their minutes significantly which keeps them and the starters fresh. At 10:46 we are up 1. They then go on to score 32 points in the next 9:00 mainly on 7 threes and 3 point blank shots by Hayes. That run doesn’t happen with fresh players on D.
You nailed it. +
Even before that Run, it should have never of been that close. Our defense was holding them well, but our offense couldn't take advantage and get a good lead.

I understand when a team gets hot(like Texas did late last night) and just outscores us. But we were also dead even before that run and in turn, couldn't absorb any kind of run and have a chance to win the game. We have stifled offenses for large periods of the game, several times this year. When that happens, it's a great opportunity for us to go up by 15-25 points and take a commanding lead of the game, yet, so many times our offense can't respond as well. Or if we get up by a lot, then we let up. It's just a frustrating team to watch this year.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 3rd, 2019, 9:59 am

This team was over rated with Dean, so what do you expect? We still have not beaten a really good team in two years (except Kentucky). That's it.

Go ahead and throw your anger at me, but I've been saying this for awhile now and nothing changes. We crap the bed more than a 95 year old in a nursing home.

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » January 3rd, 2019, 10:00 am

I chuckle that my post about complainers was pegged as "Emotional." Hell, I'm the one thinking our team just got dealt a bad hand that it's trying to deal with. I'm not bad-mouthing the players or the coaches. I know they're trying their level best to win and represent KSU well. I can live with that. Apparently, others can't. Each to his own.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » January 3rd, 2019, 10:03 am

I rewatched the portion of the second half where Texas made their run. For the most part our defense was decent. We had close outs on the three point shooters but they just made them. No one player was responsible for not being up in place on a three point shooter and on one McGuirl and Diarra both closed on him. Their point guard got inside and created a couple of close shots for their big guy and got a lob to him once when X didn't close in hard enough and knock him off his line on his roll to the basket. Big problem during this stretch was we missed open threes that were just as open as the ones Texas got.
Defense could have stayed glued closer to the three point shooter but some of our help defense that was keeping them from penetrating would have suffered.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » January 3rd, 2019, 10:12 am

tmcats wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 11:39 pm
i was in the gym, unlike most of you guys. it's a different perspective. to me, texas isn't very good. talented, yes. just not good. but obviously, we're worse without our seniors. time after time we missed open shots. finally, it wore the team out mentally, and they collapsed. ugly, but not unexpected without our point guard and poy.
From another guy who was there I think this is a pretty good synopsis. Open threes missed by Diarra and Sneed were answers we needed in response to Texas threes. Kam and Dean would have made this a completely different game as the Texas defense was vulnerable to Deans short jumpers in the middle and that would have given Mak more good looks. Needed Kam as a guy who could penetrate the defense as Diarra does not have that skill.