Webers track record with Bigmen at KSU

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
KsJoey

Webers track record with Bigmen at KSU

Post by KsJoey » December 20th, 2018, 3:29 pm

In 6 years, Bruce has signed 13 bigmen. In that time, 2, maybe 3 of those guys have turned into Big 12 caliber players. We have 6 bigmen on our roster right now, and outside of Dean, nobody has shown much in terms of being any better than average at very best, though they still have time to improve.

DJ Johnson: 6-8 (PF) DJ was truly a diamond in the ruff. 2* who became a high energy, tough nosed player, even if he wasn't very skilled.
Neville Fincher: 6-9 (C) Never played
Jack Karapetyan: 6-7 (PF) Never really played meaningful minutes
Malek Harris: 6-7 (PF) Didn't play much, and then kick off team
Stephen Hurt: 6-11 (C) JUCO who gave 2 years of fair play. Not great but not a pushover either.
Dante Williams: 6-11 (C): Rarely played and then transferred
Isaiah Maurice: 6-9 (PF) Rarely played, had some potential and then kicked off team
Dean Wade: 6-9 (PF) Best Bigman Kstate has had since Beas
James Love: 6-10 (PF) Has rarely played
Nigel Shadd: 6-9 (PF) Has rarely played
Levi Stockard: 6-8 (PF) Average at his very best
Makol Mawien: 6-9 (PF) Average at very best
Austin Trice: 6-7 (PF) Good Rebounder, that's about it.

What does it take to recruit some quality bigmen and coach them up to be solid players. I feel like the 5 spot is usually a wasted position for us on the offensive end of the ball. This position seems to be plentiful with flops. Weber has done well with Guards, but with Bigmen, it's been tough outisde of DJ and Dean.

bigpurpleman

Post by bigpurpleman » December 20th, 2018, 4:09 pm

Most highly recruited big men don’t go to K-State it seems.

Watutalkaboutwillis

Pick 'Em

Post by Watutalkaboutwillis » December 20th, 2018, 4:15 pm

This team would be amazing with a Curtis Kelly type. Don't know if we have a good big man coach/recruiter on staff. It would seem to me Webber needs to look to make a change in that regard, but I highly doubt he will. There has been too many "projects" or problem kids. Where is the KU Mawein is my question.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » December 20th, 2018, 4:18 pm

bigpurpleman wrote:
December 20th, 2018, 4:09 pm
Most highly recruited big men don’t go to K-State it seems.
True... but it doesn't have to be highly recruited bigmen to make a difference. I can think of a lot of bigmen who were quality Big12 players who didn't make the Top100 out of HS. The difference is finding the guys you can coach up, and then coaching them up. Easier said that done, but especially for Weber.

I'm not saying we need 1st or even 2nd team conference caliber bigmen. I'm saying we should be able to find guys that can excel against mid-majors and inferior teams and hold their own against 3/4 of the bigmen in the big12. Instead, our Bigs(outside of Dean) struggle against almost everyone "most" of the time... though they have their days.
Last edited by KsJoey on December 20th, 2018, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wazucat

Post by wazucat » December 20th, 2018, 4:20 pm

:lol: Oh boy this should get a rise out of the Weberites. :popcorn:

kswildcat

Post by kswildcat » December 20th, 2018, 4:55 pm

Regardless of how you feel about Coach Weber, you can't deny that, other than D.J. and Dean, he hasn't shown the ability to recruit and develop outstanding 4's or 5's.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » December 20th, 2018, 6:06 pm

KsJoey wrote:
December 20th, 2018, 3:29 pm
In 6 years, Bruce has signed 13 bigmen. In that time, 2, maybe 3 of those guys have turned into Big 12 caliber players. We have 6 bigmen on our roster right now, and outside of Dean, nobody has shown much in terms of being any better than average at very best, though they still have time to improve.

DJ Johnson: 6-8 (PF) DJ was truly a diamond in the ruff. 2* who became a high energy, tough nosed player, even if he wasn't very skilled.
Neville Fincher: 6-9 (C) Never played
Jack Karapetyan: 6-7 (PF) Never really played meaningful minutes
Malek Harris: 6-7 (PF) Didn't play much, and then kick off team
Stephen Hurt: 6-11 (C) JUCO who gave 2 years of fair play. Not great but not a pushover either.
Dante Williams: 6-11 (C): Rarely played and then transferred
Isaiah Maurice: 6-9 (PF) Rarely played, had some potential and then kicked off team
Dean Wade: 6-9 (PF) Best Bigman Kstate has had since Beas
James Love: 6-10 (PF) Has rarely played
Nigel Shadd: 6-9 (PF) Has rarely played
Levi Stockard: 6-8 (PF) Average at his very best
Makol Mawien: 6-9 (PF) Average at very best
Austin Trice: 6-7 (PF) Good Rebounder, that's about it.

What does it take to recruit some quality bigmen and coach them up to be solid players. I feel like the 5 spot is usually a wasted position for us on the offensive end of the ball. This position seems to be plentiful with flops. Weber has done well with Guards, but with Bigmen, it's been tough outisde of DJ and Dean.
Did Fincher ever sign? I don't remember him doing so.
If you are going to count Karapetyan and Malek Harris, it seems you should count Wesley Iwundu as well. Six of the 13 you listed are still playing, most with multiple years left to play. Who knows, but big men often improve in their junior and senior seasons. Shadd, for example, is still a redshirt freshman.

Agreed that the five has not been a strength, but when you add in Iwundu the success rate is not that different from a lot of teams. Good bigs are hard to find, no doubt about it.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » December 20th, 2018, 6:24 pm

I don’t think good big men are a dime-a-dozen. They seem to be the difference between the very top teams and everyone else.

Maybe those top tier schools have some sort of recruiting advantage$$$$$$$$$

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » December 20th, 2018, 7:23 pm

Last spring didn't we lose out on a good big Transfer? This has been my biggest weber gripe. Muarice could have been decent. May be they just don't like Bramledge. How was big guy recruiting at Ill.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » December 20th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Finches was listed in the signing class, but never qualified. Eventually went to a small school and didn’t do much. Regardless we saved a scholarship spot for him. Iwundu was definitely a wing though. If he played as a big it was out of position, just like when he was the PG...extremely versatile player. I know Dean is similar in regards to versatility, but Wesley was even more, IMO. Malek played the 4 as a PF almost all the time I can remember. Jack K... I can agree with that as nobody really saw him play in any meaningful minutes. I was just going by his listing and size, which was PF (6-7)
Last edited by KsJoey on December 20th, 2018, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.