Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
oscar
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: The Mayor is looking for a job

Post by oscar » December 7th, 2018, 12:10 pm

thebigh wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 10:56 am
Worst coached team in America. Thank the good lord our AD stuck the course and avoided Underwood. Even when it was unpopular at the time.
Would be curious to see where the rankings are on the best and worst coached teams? Must have missed those

Piedmontcat
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Piedmontcat » December 7th, 2018, 12:41 pm

tmcats wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 10:53 am
thebigh wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 7:54 am
I hear the fightin Illini are already working on how to hire him.
underwood's group has been on tv a lot, so i've watched them a few times. he has some talented youngsters and has been competitive in all the games i've seen. it's just that second half adjustments are made and his "frank martin" defense gets cut-up like warm butter by higher level coaches. commentators said last night that statistically, the illini have the worst 2point defense in the country - backdoor/layup city. lost by 10 to ohio state; 0-2 in the league; 2-7 overall.
I wonder how much the emphasis on freedom of movement has changed the game for guys like Underwood & Martin. While there are still some very tough defensive-minded teams in the top 25, the old physical “dare them to call all the fouls” style coaches are not flourishing right now.

tmcats
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 117 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 7th, 2018, 3:44 pm

only watched a little of frank's team. they're ugly. i mean they just don't have it. underwood, on the other hand, has talent. he'll adjust. they'll get better as the season rolls along and the youngsters get seasoning. but the b10 is very tough. no off nights like frank will get in the sec. neither make the dance though.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

IStillLikeHarv
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 16 times

Post by IStillLikeHarv » December 7th, 2018, 5:16 pm

tmcats wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 3:44 pm
only watched a little of frank's team. they're ugly. i mean they just don't have it. underwood, on the other hand, has talent. he'll adjust. they'll get better as the season rolls along and the youngsters get seasoning. but the b10 is very tough. no off nights like frank will get in the sec. neither make the dance though.

As an Illini fan, I wish I shared your optimism. I predicted an 18-win season, but right now I am having trouble finding 13 wins to avoid a 20-loss season. There is much unhappiness in Champaign. On the other hand, Brad did get a six-year contract at 3 million a year, so the buyout is likely to give him some time to get things back on track. I am hoping for a miracle this season, but things are a bit grim right now.

xtrawildcat
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by xtrawildcat » December 7th, 2018, 8:07 pm

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 5:16 pm
tmcats wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 3:44 pm

As an Illini fan, I wish I shared your optimism. I predicted an 18-win season, but right now I am having trouble finding 13 wins to avoid a 20-loss season. There is much unhappiness in Champaign. On the other hand, Brad did get a six-year contract at 3 million a year, so the buyout is likely to give him some time to get things back on track. I am hoping for a miracle this season, but things are a bit grim right now.
Harv, you need to talk him out of that half court pressure defense or at least tell him only to use it as a change up. High level coaches with good guards are going to have a heyday agains it. Hes a smart guy so maybe he is already making that change.

IStillLikeHarv
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 16 times

Post by IStillLikeHarv » December 7th, 2018, 9:28 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 8:07 pm
IStillLikeHarv wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 5:16 pm

Harv, you need to talk him out of that half court pressure defense or at least tell him only to use it as a change up. High level coaches with good guards are going to have a heyday agains it. Hes a smart guy so maybe he is already making that change.

I have actually posted that repeatedly on the Illini board, but for some bizarre reason, Brad is going his own way instead of listening to me. Go figure.

:D
These users liked IStillLikeHarv for the post:
KITNooga (December 8th, 2018, 11:38 am)

tmcats
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 117 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 8th, 2018, 11:06 am

underwood has been known to adjust. he did that at oSu turning around a dreadful start to win 20 and make 'the dance.' (then he bolted.) he was running that pressure 'd' there as well and got boat-raced until switching out of it. surely, he'll do the same in champaign. illini have some winnable games on the docket now: unlv, directional tennessee and missouri.

frank and his 4-4 gamecocks on the other hand, oh my: michigan, uva, and clemson. :roll:
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

KITNooga
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by KITNooga » December 8th, 2018, 11:38 am

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 9:28 pm

I have actually posted that repeatedly on the Illini board, but for some bizarre reason, Brad is going his own way instead of listening to me. Go figure.

:D
those damned coaches! really!

:rofl:

Wyocat
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Post by Wyocat » December 9th, 2018, 10:24 am

Maybe the Mayor would want to try his hand at coaching football.