Conference minutes per game next year

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Re: Conference minutes per game next year

Post by AJcat7755 » April 11th, 2018, 10:19 am

ajcksu82 wrote:In theory, with Wainright gone, Patrick would be a logical next backup at the 3 spot/wing behind Xavier Sneed if Weber wanted to keep the same style/size when putting in backups. However, can Patrick do what is required?

I agree, he is the top option to leave if there is another signing and it sounds like K-State is still after some transfers after getting Trice.
Just saw a tweet that Syracuse transfer Matthew Moyer still has plans to visit K-State, along with Texas, Florida, Xavier and Vanderbilt. Which means the staff is still recruiting at least one more spot that is not open. Now it may be a thing where the unnamed player on the chopping block gets to stay unless they get someone else, or it could be that player may just leave regardless.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » April 11th, 2018, 11:24 am

If he came he’d be on scholly next year but couldn’t play till the year after next. Isn’t that right? Unless Syracuse released him like Illinois did with Mark Smith. I just don’t know if he did enough at Syracuse to warrant filling out a scholly and watch him practice and lose anybody right now. We’re already assuming that Trice is replacing Wainwright which may or may not be true.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » April 11th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Puffdad wrote:If he came he’d be on scholly next year but couldn’t play till the year after next. Isn’t that right? Unless Syracuse released him like Illinois did with Mark Smith. I just don’t know if he did enough at Syracuse to warrant filling out a scholly and watch him practice and lose anybody right now. We’re already assuming that Trice is replacing Wainwright which may or may not be true.
You hope the staff has a scoresheet.

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » April 11th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Puffdad wrote:If he came he’d be on scholly next year but couldn’t play till the year after next. Isn’t that right? Unless Syracuse released him like Illinois did with Mark Smith. I just don’t know if he did enough at Syracuse to warrant filling out a scholly and watch him practice and lose anybody right now. We’re already assuming that Trice is replacing Wainwright which may or may not be true.
I don't think Smith is eligible next year either. Releasing a player does not make them eligible. A player must go through a full appeals process w the NCAA that is usually denied.

The only players immediately eligible without the appeal are the grad transfers. Even walk-ons have to sit out a year (see Baker Mayfield)

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » April 11th, 2018, 12:43 pm

From what I understand Syracuse's release has nothing to do with him playing or not next year. He has to sit out a year per the NCAA. His release, or lack thereof, is for financial aid. So if Syracuse doesn't release him, he has to pay his own way for a year and wouldn't be able to get a scholarship that year. Which may actually be better for K-State because he wouldn't take up a spot, but horrible for the student. Similar to when Snyder wanted to block the WR transfer. What everyone missed was K-State wasn't stopping him from leaving, just stopping him from getting a scholarship for a year.

As for the benefit of Moyer over a replacement:

Matthew Moyer - 6'8" 215lb SF. Was a 4* and the 66th best player in the 2016 class, 10th best SF. He is a RS FR, so he already used his RS and would have to sit out 2018 a year giving him 2 years left to play. In his single year of play, in 16.8 mpg, averaged 3.2 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 0.3 bpg

Possible cuts to make room:

Brian Patrick - 6'5" 185lb SG. Was a 3* and NR in the 2016 class. 2 years left to play. In 2 years of play, he has averaged 6.7 mpg, 1.9 ppg, 0.5 rpg, 0.0 bpg. Still has a RS to use if needed. Seems like he has been jumped over by McGuirl, does Williams jump over him as well?

Nigel Shadd - 6'9" 238lb PF. Was a 3* and the 353th best player in the 2017 class, 84th best PF. He will be a RS FR next year and will have 4 years left to play. In 8 games this year, he averaged 6.3 mpg, 1.1 ppg, 2.0 rpb, 0.0 bpg. Still has a RS to use if needed. Had a knee injury this year that limited his playing time.

James Love - 6'10" 220lb PF. Was a 3* and the 393rd best player in the 2016 class, 87th best PF. He will be a RS SO next year after using a RS for a foot injury his FR year and will have 3 years left to play. In 15 games he averaged 4.6 mpg, 0.7 ppg, 0.4 rpg, 0.3 bpg. Believe he could try and apply for a medical redshirt at the end of his 3 years due to losing 1.5 years because of injury. Has had a couple of injuries in his short career.

So the question is, is Moyer sitting out a year and getting 2 after that better then having the other players? Are Shadd and Love needed next year now that K-State has Trice, so could they replace one with Moyer? Staff seems to think they still could use Moyer or else he wouldn't be visiting so something is up.
Last edited by AJcat7755 on April 11th, 2018, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piedmontcat

Post by Piedmontcat » April 11th, 2018, 12:50 pm

Moyer would be the highest rated recruit on our team by a large margin. Rivals had him at #40 nationally. ESPN had him the lowest of the rankings and that was still #74. I know that recruiting rankings aren't perfect but, unless the kid is a mental case, they are usually not far off. It would be a big deal to get him on the roster and have him around for a few years. Watched his mix tape and checked his 1 year at Cuse. Skilled. Long. Very good rebounder and defender at Syracuse but got recruited over. If he's a good kid, he would be a very good get.
Last edited by Piedmontcat on April 11th, 2018, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » April 11th, 2018, 1:03 pm

The longer the season went along the less playing time he was getting. And I didn’t think Syracuse was exactly loaded inside. I Also noticed that Boehim and his father had some conflicts. Supposedly he practiced ok for a couple days after an ankle sprain and said he was ok to play but his FATHER said he wasn’t playing. That didn’t go over well as you might expect. He was highly rated so I’m sure he’s got some tools but I’m just not sure it’s worth it. But if the coaches think so...... go for it. JMO, but if he was that good... he wouldn’t have been getting less and less minutes as the season went along.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » April 11th, 2018, 1:09 pm

FWIW, I seem to recall that Shadd may get a medical redshirt for this season, so he would be a redshirt freshman next season.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » April 11th, 2018, 2:24 pm

IStillLikeHarv wrote:FWIW, I seem to recall that Shadd may get a medical redshirt for this season, so he would be a redshirt freshman next season.
Forgot about that. Although I don't think they can apply for a medical redshirt until their eligibility is expired. So he would have used a RS, assuming he could after appearing in 8 games.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » April 11th, 2018, 2:41 pm

ajcksu82 wrote:
IStillLikeHarv wrote:FWIW, I seem to recall that Shadd may get a medical redshirt for this season, so he would be a redshirt freshman next season.
Forgot about that. Although I don't think they can apply for a medical redshirt until their eligibility is expired. So he would have used a RS, assuming he could after appearing in 8 games.
The 8 game would not be a problem since the maximum is 30% of the season. KSU played 37 games, so the 30% would be 11 games. The injury must have taken place before the second half of the season, and he last played in the 15th game, so it would seem he would be alright there as well, but that would have to documented for the NCAA no doubt.