Recruiting Thread

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
SCKSCat

Re: Recruiting Thread

Post by SCKSCat » May 21st, 2022, 7:14 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
May 21st, 2022, 6:27 pm
Reggie "RJ" Luis to UMass
Aj, would it be a fair statement that we have a fair shot at Valencia, but even that is precarious?
Are we really in the game with anyone else?
All of the supposedly hot leads in March have went poof.
For.me getting beat out by glow balls for Davis was the low point.
Do the dead period rules apply to the upperclassmen in the portal or to HS recruits only?
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
randallcat85

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » May 21st, 2022, 7:25 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
May 21st, 2022, 7:14 pm
AJcat7755 wrote:
Aj, would it be a fair statement that we have a fair shot at Valencia, but even that is precarious?
Do the dead period rules apply to the upperclassmen in the portal or to HS recruits only?
Davis was really the only player I believe the coaches felt they had and lost and the outcome was really crazy for everyone. All others they knew early enough that they weren't in the running. For example most thought LSU had Shawn Phillips for a while.

Valencia I think wants to go to KSU, but for whatever reason, KSU isn't ready to take him. Maybe it's the other way around though. Recruiting is crazy, but he was supposedly the silent verbal but something happened on his visit to delay it officially.

Dead period is only for HS recruits from what I gather. I believe it was created to let students focus on their school.

As I have said, I think they will make a run after players that pull out of the NBA Draft. Who knows of they can land them or not. There are still 100s of players in the portal after that, but they may not be the top players anymore, but they have to go somewhere. KSU won't be filling up on local KS walkons, but it may be names we haven't heard of.
These users thanked the author AJcat7755 for the post:
stlcatfan

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » May 21st, 2022, 7:42 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
May 21st, 2022, 7:14 pm
AJcat7755 wrote:
I don't think Davis had any intention of transferring to another school. His hitting the portal was likely just to get his name out there. Looks like it worked as he was able to land an NIL deal and still get to go back and play for his dad.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

I Have A Jareem

Post by I Have A Jareem » May 21st, 2022, 8:34 pm

Haven’t heard any direct link to Mayer, but if he wants to come & be a focal point of an offense then come on down. Tang said in more than one interview with Baylor podcasters prior to his hiring that he was very proud of his maturity on & off the court. If they were somewhat close you know Tang already has his cell #.

Adam Zagoria@AdamZagoria
Baylors Matthew Mayer to withdraw from NBA Draft, will transfer.
These users thanked the author I Have A Jareem for the post (total 2):
SCKSCatstlcatfan

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » May 22nd, 2022, 6:53 am

I Have A Jareem wrote:
May 21st, 2022, 8:34 pm
Haven’t heard any direct link to Mayer, but if he wants to come & be a focal point of an offense then come on down. Tang said in more than one interview with Baylor podcasters prior to his hiring that he was very proud of his maturity on & off the court. If they were somewhat close you know Tang already has his cell #.

Adam Zagoria@AdamZagoria
Baylors Matthew Mayer to withdraw from NBA Draft, will transfer.
It looks like a lot of other schools have already reached out to Mayer. UNC and Texas Tech seem to be the leading contenders at this point.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 22nd, 2022, 8:32 am

AJcat7755 wrote:
for those who don't know, frank martin is now head coach at umass.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » May 22nd, 2022, 8:44 am

Mayer wants to go to the NBA. I suspect that he wants to be more than a complimentary player. Likely a headliner. Playing time. I would think that he would want to ibe n a good league. I suspect having a coach who can make him better is important. Kansas State punches all of these buttons.
But who knows if money is more important. Maybe Mayer can find a big NIL and the.above. I think the competition for his services are SEC teams. I am am not going the dishes on the table until I know he is really coming to supper. It is kind of pitiful to get wound up over a speculative long shot. At least this spring, this year, that speculation seems.it might happen.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
stlcatfan

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » May 22nd, 2022, 9:43 am

SCKSCat wrote:
May 22nd, 2022, 8:44 am
Mayer wants to go to the NBA. I suspect that he wants to be more than a complimentary player. Likely a headliner. Playing time. I would think that he would want to ibe n a good league. I suspect having a coach who can make him better is important. Kansas State punches all of these buttons.
But who knows if money is more important. Maybe Mayer can find a big NIL and the.above. I think the competition for his services are SEC teams. I am am not going the dishes on the table until I know he is really coming to supper. It is kind of pitiful to get wound up over a speculative long shot. At least this spring, this year, that speculation seems.it might happen.
That's the theory. Players pulling put of the draft still want to play in the NBA and were told they need to work on X, or play X position. They don't need to go to a blue blood for visibility with the NBA, they already have it. In theory, they don't need NIL as top priority because they are hoping to make that NBA money. What they should be prioritizing is somewhere to help them work on their skills and show the NBA. They aren't looking to go to a school to sit on a bench. Against, that's the theory, we will see if that plays out or if they all just go get the $$
These users thanked the author AJcat7755 for the post (total 2):
SCKSCatstlcatfan

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » May 22nd, 2022, 7:50 pm

Kerwin Walton, UNC guard and former Hopkins star, has had several workouts for NBA teams while looking at options in the college portal, sources tell @TheAthletic. Clemson, Kansas St, Memphis, Oklahoma, Texas Tech currently atop his list. A decision could come next week.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » May 22nd, 2022, 8:07 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
May 22nd, 2022, 7:50 pm
Kerwin Walton, UNC guard and former Hopkins star, has had several workouts for NBA teams while looking at options in the college portal, sources tell @TheAthletic. Clemson, Kansas St, Memphis, Oklahoma, Texas Tech currently atop his list. A decision could come next week.
You know, life is just a numbers game. The law of averages should start kicking in before long.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post (total 2):
randallcat85Section 12-2