Article: Spradling key to KSU's success

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
ninglu86
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Article: Spradling key to KSU's success

Post by ninglu86 » September 24th, 2013, 8:02 pm

From KC star

Last year, the Kansas State basketball team benefited from a preseason trip to Brazil in coach Bruce Weber’s first season.

This year, the Wildcats, like all other college teams, get an early jump on the season because of a change in NCAA rules. With the loss of several veterans and a roster that includes a five-member freshman class, Weber wants all the extra time he can get.

“It adds up to about six or seven more practices over the course of six weeks,” Weber said. “It comes a good time.”

Weber and Kansas State women’s coach Deb Patterson will preview their teams and talk all things K-State on Wednesday at the annual Kansas City Catbackers’ basketball banquet at the Ritz Charles in Overland Park.

Several players will be there, including Will Sprading, Nino Williams and Shawn Meyer from the men’s team and Katay Leick, Bre Lewis and Kelly Thomson from the women’s team.

Weber, who led the Wildcats to a 25-6 overall mark and a share of the Big 12 regular-season title in his first season, will use the time to break in Spradling at the point.

Spradling, the former Shawnee Mission South standout, has played shooting guard for most of his first three seasons. He moves to the point this season to fill the spot vacated by Angel Rodriguez, who stunned the program by transferring to the University of Miami after the season.

“Early on, he going to have to do it,” Weber said. “He’s played some point before, even before we got there. We feel good to have him there.”

Spradling also played some point last season when Rodriguez suffered a foot injury in mid-December. He logged several minutes at the point in the victory over Florida at Sprint Center, when he had 17 points and five assists in 38 minutes.

Weber said he’s relying on veterans such as Spradling, who averaged 7.4 points and 2.4 assists last season, as well as Shane Southwell, Thomas Gipson, Omari Lawrence, D.J. Johnson and Williams to guide a promising newcomer class following the departures of Rodriguez, Rodney McGruder, Martavious Irving and Jordan Henriquez.

“They’re going to have to be consistently productive,” Weber said.

Among the freshmen, shooting guard Marcus Foster, the Texas 3A player of the year, should supply offense. The class also includes point guards Nigel Johnson and Jevon Thomas, although Thomas won’t be eligible until the second semester.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/24/45 ... rylink=cpy

Mor7up

Post by Mor7up » September 26th, 2013, 11:58 am

Definitely. Spradling is going to be key. I hope Weber is able to achieve some success this year to prove his detractors wrong.

kearneymen

Post by kearneymen » September 27th, 2013, 7:23 am

kearneymen

Post by kearneymen » September 27th, 2013, 1:17 pm

Tons of talk about how good Foster is... After reading these comments I guess we open like this:

PG: Sprads, Nigel
SG: Foster, Omari/Nigel/Sprads
SF: Omari, Shane/Iwundu/Nino
'PF': Shane, Nino/Iwundu --> Jack K once he gets healthy will be in the mix
'C': Gip, DJ

By the start of B12 play it'll probably be pretty different... especially with Thomas in the mix. Not a lot of players, so everyone on the bench better be ready to roll.
That;s

ninglu86

Post by ninglu86 » September 29th, 2013, 12:54 am

I've never been all that impressed with Spradling. I'm very worried about our PG situation next season. Losing Angel was huge.

kearneymen

Post by kearneymen » September 29th, 2013, 8:04 am

I agree Ning there is no replacing Angel this year, but at least having a senior there to start the season will be helpful to the younger kids. Sprads can at least get us in the right sets and understand what the coaches are asking of him/the team... that said I don't know if he can physically do what they are asking him.

wazucat

Post by wazucat » September 30th, 2013, 10:49 pm

Spradling. Key. To. Success. Let that sink in.

Exile

Post by Exile » September 30th, 2013, 11:57 pm

Well, if anyone remembers me from 'that other board' I'll raise my point about him again. When Sprad was a freshperson, he was the great hope. Bobby Knight extolled his virtues and basketball sense. Then, I turn around and suddenly he's pretty much a zero and being thought of as an average SG. No one has ever explained what happened. In fact, I seem to be pretty much the only person who remembers him as anything other than average. Was he injured all last year?

JazzCatDRP
Administrator

Post by JazzCatDRP » October 1st, 2013, 1:43 am

Im' right there with you Exile. I remember discussion with some KU fans where they were wondering if they missed out on a stud right in their own back yard. What happened to him? Coaching? Confidence? A combination? Crazy...

ninglu86

Post by ninglu86 » October 1st, 2013, 3:21 am

Exile wrote:Well, if anyone remembers me from 'that other board' I'll raise my point about him again. When Sprad was a freshperson, he was the great hope. Bobby Knight extolled his virtues and basketball sense. Then, I turn around and suddenly he's pretty much a zero and being thought of as an average SG. No one has ever explained what happened. In fact, I seem to be pretty much the only person who remembers him as anything other than average. Was he injured all last year?
Bobby Knight was praising Sprad like crazy because Sprad, at the time, with Pullen running the show, was knocking down open Js. Also, Sprad did then, and still do, take a lot of charges for the team. That part of Sprad's game is very admirable.

While I respect the heck out of him for "taking one for the team" over and over, overall though, I do believe he has been nothing more than a nice role-player, which worries me that he is the key to success.