Wins don't come easy any more

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
learnin

Re: Wins don't come easy any more

Post by learnin » February 10th, 2017, 6:56 pm

learnin wrote:
hilltopwildcat wrote:I won't argue a bit with you learnin' on what you saw. The game is entirely different now. The "take it to the hole" seed has been planted and is growing well. Players today crash to the bucket as hard as they can and will go through or into any defender trying to draw a foul. The other night I had 2 very weak girl's teams playing. They continually went hell-bent for the basket even if, frequently, there would be 2 opponents standing between them and the goal. Then they plead to the officials for a foul. They seemed to forget they were shooting 30% from the line.

The art of the pull-up J is long gone.
Great points. I think the shot clock has had a detrimental effect on the game, but it doesn't have to be that way. I believe if the powers would change
one thing about the game, it could remedy the ugliness and the, "take it to the hole" mentality. They should stop the wrestling in the post. I thought they were going to clean this up, but it still is too physical. They need to return to the proper way. A player cannot interfere, physically, with the free movement of a player other than to set a screen or box out. If a player posts up, you must either get in front of him to try and deny the pass (without wrestling) or stay between him and the basket to defend the basket. If a good post player gets the ball down low, a defender can drop down to help out and stop his ability to make a move to the basket. If not, then, the post player is one on one with the defender. If he's good, he will probably score especially if he has a short hook.

Why would this clean the game up? If a defense can lock down for 25 seconds, a guard is, generally, forced to create something and it is, often, very ugly. If a post player is allowed to post up without having to wrestle, it will open things up and give teams options.

If you're officiating high school, hilltop, they must be trying to emulate the college and pros because they don't have a shot clock, no?

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » February 10th, 2017, 11:43 pm

learnin wrote:
learnin wrote:
Great points. I think the shot clock has had a detrimental effect on the game, but it doesn't have to be that way. I believe if the powers would change
one thing about the game, it could remedy the ugliness and the, "take it to the hole" mentality. They should stop the wrestling in the post. I thought they were going to clean this up, but it still is too physical. They need to return to the proper way. A player cannot interfere, physically, with the free movement of a player other than to set a screen or box out. If a player posts up, you must either get in front of him to try and deny the pass (without wrestling) or stay between him and the basket to defend the basket. If a good post player gets the ball down low, a defender can drop down to help out and stop his ability to make a move to the basket. If not, then, the post player is one on one with the defender. If he's good, he will probably score especially if he has a short hook.

Why would this clean the game up? If a defense can lock down for 25 seconds, a guard is, generally, forced to create something and it is, often, very ugly. If a post player is allowed to post up without having to wrestle, it will open things up and give teams options.

If you're officiating high school, hilltop, they must be trying to emulate the college and pros because they don't have a shot clock, no?
No shot clock thank goodness although I think some states are testing it. Heaven knows we don't need something else to deal with. All these lines and arcs and LDB's and replays are just killing the game.

learnin

Post by learnin » February 11th, 2017, 1:07 am

Don't know how you keep track of it all.