OK. I'll start it.

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
hilltopwildcat

Re: OK. I'll start it.

Post by hilltopwildcat » January 18th, 2017, 8:10 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:
pulitzerdave wrote:I don't like the idea of Mitch Richmond. Has he proven that he can coach? Great players seldom make great coaches. There are probably a multitude of reasons for that, which I won't get into. I will say this. If Weber has another 5-13 Big 12 meltdown, I'm ready to reboot. Even 7-11 shouldn't save his job. I've given the guy the benefit of the doubt for 3 seasons now. I think he's a pretty good coach, but a below average recruiter. We have to start being honest and realistic about our talent level. It's just not what it should be to start moving back up the ladder. I believe that the success of a program is about 70% recruiting, 20% coaching and 10% luck. On the recruiting grade, I'd give us a C-. On coaching, I'd give us a B. On luck, we get an F. Those grades spell MEDIOCRITY.

For the foreseeable future, we need a better point guard, a tall, athletic center who is a beast, and more depth at every position. I'm OK with Dean Wade and X as Big 12 caliber players, but the rest of next year's team, IMO, is marginal. I was starting to like Barry Brown, but he still shows much immaturity and is too short to be an effective 2 in this league, and not a good enough passer and playmaker to play point. Stokes pales in comparison to other elite point guards in this league, of which there are many. I don't know anything about Diarra because I haven't seen him play a single minute. Is he one of those guys that everyone raves about in practice, but doesn't measure up in games? I don't know, but we've had plenty of those "athletic" guys in the past who weren't basketball players. Maybe he'll be great - we'll see. My point is, we need to have better players 1-10 to be an upper division team. When you have to rely on Austin Budke (who's not a D-1 player) for important minutes, you're in trouble. Harsh words, but it's about time to face the music. If this season doesn't turn quickly, then I'm ready for a new coach, who can pull in top 125 talent on a consistent basis, with an occasional top 40-50 guy. That's the only way we're going to get better,We can slog along for years, hoping that a few 3-star guys will emerge as better than their ranking, but that's a frustrating journey. Our next coach should be a dynamic personality, a known entity, and a great recruiter. Another Bob Huggins.
-------------------------
Please be SPECIFIC, not just meander through a wish list.

Mitch Richmond is a NBA Hall of Famer. He has been a talent scout for the NBA. He is the BEST person KSU has a chance at to recruit NBA talent. If you have some one better that will come to Manhattan, Kansas please post a name.
Not sure we can assume that because of Mitch's resume, he'll start reeling in NBA talent. As far as I know the jury is still out on that.

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » January 18th, 2017, 9:21 pm

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m- ... 87765.html

Ok, please name a better recruiter than Mitch Richmond that would take the KSU Varsity Mens Basketball Coaching position.

It is easy to just list general deficiencies. This thread is a discussion of who could be a possible replacement (and I do not think he will be replaced) of Coach Weber.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » January 18th, 2017, 11:20 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m- ... 87765.html

Ok, please name a better recruiter than Mitch Richmond that would take the KSU Varsity Mens Basketball Coaching position.

It is easy to just list general deficiencies. This thread is a discussion of who could be a possible replacement (and I do not think he will be replaced) of Coach Weber.
Easy!! I didn't say he couldn't or there wasn't anybody else who could. The best recruiter we've seen in a long time here was Dalonte, hardly an NBA Hall of Famer. Your article didn't state what players he's recruited and at 9-11 St John's is hardly a juggernaut. All I'm saying is let's don't lay big expectations on him...just yet anyway.

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » February 16th, 2017, 2:48 pm