NIL Question

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

NIL Question

Post by ToledoCat#3 » March 28th, 2024, 9:18 pm

Is it prohibited for a BB coach to put some of his own money into his school's NIL collective?

It seems it would be prohibited, but in today's free-for-all, I was wondering.
These users thanked the author ToledoCat#3 for the post:
stlcatfan

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » March 28th, 2024, 9:28 pm

I don’t believe they can directly. I’m guessing there’s always ways around things if they should choose to do so.

I know the coaching staff is not who, again, directly makes the decisions on who gets NIL and how much. But we’d all be kidding ourselves if we didn’t believe the NIL collective wasn’t taking direction from the coaching staff in some way. The coaching staff is saying something to someone about how important a player is to the team, maybe a ranking of some sort, and that’s being conveyed to the NIL as to what level NIL a certain player then receives. Or that would be my guess anyway. Pure speculation.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » March 29th, 2024, 8:55 am

A team is allowed to have someone on staff who can advise players about NIL and such opportunities for them to pursue. A coach can use their NIL to promote a NIL collective and ask for people to consider giving to it. A program can identify a NIL collective as the school's official collective.
I grew up a farm where we used artificial insemination on our cows to take advantage of the genetics of certain bulls. We got the goody out of a bull without actually having the bull involved. Same thing goes for NIL collective and a school.