COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Puffdad

Re: North Dakota Game, 4 PM Today

Post by Puffdad » November 28th, 2021, 8:56 pm

Illiniwink wrote:
November 28th, 2021, 7:28 pm
Puffdad wrote:
November 28th, 2021, 6:49 pm
21assists. One great positive. I’m sure Coach is thrilled!! Massoud with 3 assists! That’s 1/4 of his career total!
I enjoyed the shooting percentages but was really impressed by the unselfish sharing of the ball by everyone. It was great to see McGuirl's performance--hope that is a sign he is out of his "slump," Go Cats. 2 losses already but must remember they were to ranked teams. An overall nice performance today, for sure.
Totally agree on the sharing of the ball! That was a huge difference compared to the last few games. I know that’s been a point of emphasis in practice and a source of concern for the coaching staff.

There aren’t many options for creating their own shots. They will have to share the ball and create offense together running some good action.
These users thanked the author Puffdad for the post (total 2):
ksudennyWildcatEngineer

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » November 28th, 2021, 9:10 pm

oscar wrote:
November 28th, 2021, 7:22 pm
Puffdad wrote:
November 28th, 2021, 6:24 pm
Pretty tough to watch for me. ND is 1-23 from 3 and 1-8 from the free throw line…..and I even coached jr. high girls basketball for a couple years 40 years ago! 😂 Ranks right up there with some of the worst I’ve endured.
My cousin worked his way up the ranks coaching small school girls including junior high and now he is retired, He mentioned how many junior high games result in more jump balls than points scored!
Thank God when they changed the rules for alternating possessions instead of jump balls! It took a half hour off of game times!! :clap: :rofl:
These users thanked the author Puffdad for the post:
stlcatfan

oscar

Post by oscar » November 28th, 2021, 9:47 pm

Puffdad wrote:
November 28th, 2021, 9:10 pm
oscar wrote:
November 28th, 2021, 7:22 pm

My cousin worked his way up the ranks coaching small school girls including junior high and now he is retired, He mentioned how many junior high games result in more jump balls than points scored!
Thank God when they changed the rules for alternating possessions instead of jump balls! It took a half hour off of game times!! :clap: :rofl:
Oh my gosh, I saw him coach in his early days when he was at a small school in Nebraska, score must have been 8 to 6 and yes thank goodness for that posession arrow!

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » November 28th, 2021, 10:05 pm

Here is a link to the game highlights (I hope).

https://twitter.com/i/status/1465132798403039236
These users thanked the author IStillLikeHarv for the post:
stlcatfan

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » November 28th, 2021, 10:45 pm

These users thanked the author Puffdad for the post:
stlcatfan

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » November 29th, 2021, 11:16 am

I think team play is even more crucial for this team then most teams. They have some ability to create their own shots but to really play well they will have to focus on getting good shots from passing the ball. I think these guys have both the unselfishness and ability to become a cohesive unit where the whole can exceed the sum of the parts, if they play smart team first ball.

Share the ball then do not hesitate to take the shot or drive when the opportunity arises in the flow of the offense. This style of play and the ability to make open shots and finish could make an average team pretty good. I think this could be a good shooting team if they have time to shoot. So far they have not made threes when the shots were hurried. When they are open and have time to shoot they have been good. Good ball movement and experience should help them improve their shooting against better competition.

This team is better than last year's team primarily to the degree that shooting is improved.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » November 29th, 2021, 11:25 am

i watched the first four minutes on the plus's replay, then decided that was enough. so, i can't comment on what i saw. but the team needs a whole hell of lot more out of ish or someone else at the four spot, maybe landers, idk. :|
Why is there something rather than nothing?

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » November 29th, 2021, 12:01 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
November 28th, 2021, 7:41 pm
One of the worst opponents I can remember. So can't take much from this game.
But a few my thoughts.
Offense was fine but I was very unimpressed with the defense and would have had a different score against a team that can make open threes.

1. Ezeagu is a pretty effective back up center if he doesn't get in foul trouble. Good hands. Sets really good screens. Can finish a little bit at the rim. Pretty good in help defense. Not the greatest but serviceable.
2. Pack can make shots and will be a difference maker when he is on. Played bad defense tonight after some games where I thought he played pretty good defense.
3, Nowell can make plays. A few out of control plays tonight but mostly solid with good results. Teams that make catch and shoot threes will take advantage of him due to his size so we have to see how that goes in games going forward.
4. McGuirl had a solid game and when he takes his threes on the line instead of four feet back, can be effective.
5. IMO, Kabsuke's defense and lack of rebounding and toughness make him unplayable as we go against real teams. Hope he proves me wrong.
6. We were not running plays for Massoud at all and I expect that was on purpose. Still need to see more toughness and rebounding from him.
7. Landers is going to be a pretty good four year player for us.
Good observations.

1. Eze is not petty but effective and does some surprising things. I like his attitude, muscle and effort. He gets it.

2. Pack is a very good player. One of the best shooters to ever play at K-State. Smart.

3. I love Nowell. He is fun to watch. Creator/Disrupter. He is the best of the transfers to this point. His moxy and ability to create more than offset his turnover issue. If Coach Weber allows him to play his game he could take the offense to another level.

4. McGuirl needs to play like the veteran he is and I think he will.

5. Kasubke shows signs of improvement and maybe his shot will come with increasing confidence. He works hard and I am not writing him off......yet.

6. Massoud has been a little disappointing to date. Another big guy who wants to be a 3 instead of a 4. Very inconsistent.

7. I have liked Logan Landers from the get go. I think he is starting to get it and brings a well rounded game. Kind of a throwback type of K-State player and I think he will be a solid if not a very good player before he is done here. He may soon be the equal of Ish in most facets of the game. I see more minutes for him if Ish continues to struggle from 3. We don't need big guys taking several 3s per game and making only 20% of them.

I am anxious for the return of Seryee and Carlton Languard to see if they can help at the 4 and 5 spots.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post:
tmcats

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » November 29th, 2021, 12:31 pm

Seryee is out for the entire season, I believe. I didn't watch any of the game because I'm tired of being frustrated. Weber ball is killing the interest in the program. I'm guessing the attendance was low, as was the viewers on TV. Bad sign.
These users thanked the author wild@nite for the post:
randallcat85

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » November 29th, 2021, 12:32 pm

katlander wrote:
November 29th, 2021, 12:01 pm
xtrawildcat wrote:
November 28th, 2021, 7:41 pm
One of the worst opponents I can remember. So can't take much from this game.
But a few my thoughts.
Offense was fine but I was very unimpressed with the defense and would have had a different score against a team that can make open threes.

1. Ezeagu is a pretty effective back up center if he doesn't get in foul trouble. Good hands. Sets really good screens. Can finish a little bit at the rim. Pretty good in help defense. Not the greatest but serviceable.
2. Pack can make shots and will be a difference maker when he is on. Played bad defense tonight after some games where I thought he played pretty good defense.
3, Nowell can make plays. A few out of control plays tonight but mostly solid with good results. Teams that make catch and shoot threes will take advantage of him due to his size so we have to see how that goes in games going forward.
4. McGuirl had a solid game and when he takes his threes on the line instead of four feet back, can be effective.
5. IMO, Kabsuke's defense and lack of rebounding and toughness make him unplayable as we go against real teams. Hope he proves me wrong.
6. We were not running plays for Massoud at all and I expect that was on purpose. Still need to see more toughness and rebounding from him.
7. Landers is going to be a pretty good four year player for us.
Good observations.

1. Eze is not petty but effective and does some surprising things. I like his attitude, muscle and effort. He gets it.

2. Pack is a very good player. One of the best shooters to ever play at K-State. Smart.

3. I love Nowell. He is fun to watch. Creator/Disrupter. He is the best of the transfers to this point. His moxy and ability to create more than offset his turnover issue. If Coach Weber allows him to play his game he could take the offense to another level.

4. McGuirl needs to play like the veteran he is and I think he will.

5. Kasubke shows signs of improvement and maybe his shot will come with increasing confidence. He works hard and I am not writing him off......yet.

6. Massoud has been a little disappointing to date. Another big guy who wants to be a 3 instead of a 4. Very inconsistent.

7. I have liked Logan Landers from the get go. I think he is starting to get it and brings a well rounded game. Kind of a throwback type of K-State player and I think he will be a solid if not a very good player before he is done here. He may soon be the equal of Ish in most facets of the game. I see more minutes for him if Ish continues to struggle from 3. We don't need big guys taking several 3s per game and making only 20% of them.

I am anxious for the return of Seryee and Carlton Languard to see if they can help at the 4 and 5 spots.
Good post. But what indication do you have that Kabsuke is coming around or even works hard. He has a total of four rebounds in 80 minutes of play. Thats the number of rebounds you can collect if you just stand in place and wait for the ball to come to you.
8 points. He currently has the worst defensive rating on the team. Yesterday, North Dakota was consistently driving past him making our defense rotate to provide help.

I didn't think Seryee could play this year but Linguard may start to get a few minutes. Weber says he has participated in a total of 5 practices in the last 9 years so we can hope but shouldn't expect much.