NIL (name, image, likeness) good or bad for team

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
SCKSCat

NIL (name, image, likeness) good or bad for team

Post by SCKSCat » July 15th, 2021, 7:23 am

I have seen many comments on how this will affect the individual player, but how will it affect the concept of team.
My concern is an enthusiastic alumnist might pay a player for NIL rights with the understanding that the player will play no matter what. If no, good bye Alumni support. We know at KSU the opinion of grunt fans have no weight as their cries for coach changes are ignored. Big donor Alumni call the shots.
I fear NIL will destroy the team concept and interfere with a coach coaching.
Will facilities suffer with alumni money going to players instead of to facilities?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » July 15th, 2021, 10:09 am

SCKSCat wrote:
July 15th, 2021, 7:23 am
I have seen many comments on how this will affect the individual player, but how will it affect the concept of team.
My concern is an enthusiastic alumnist might pay a player for NIL rights with the understanding that the player will play no matter what. If no, good bye Alumni support. We know at KSU the opinion of grunt fans have no weight as their cries for coach changes are ignored. Big donor Alumni call the shots.
I fear NIL will destroy the team concept and interfere with a coach coaching.
Will facilities suffer with alumni money going to players instead of to facilities?
i'm not sure what qualifies as a 'grunt fan,' but money has always spoken loudest in america, not only at k-state but throughout society. and yes, carl ice is going to have gene taylor's ear before mark blowby.

and as an employee, i didn't stop listening to my mentor after i got a raise. so, i'm not sure a player would stop listening to his coach either.

in my view, player transfers are a far larger concern than players receiving some cash for their name, image, or likeness. losing joshua youngblood to rutgers and dujuan gordon to missouri bothers me more than skylar thompson or nigel pack getting a few grand from nike for their jersey name.
Why is there something rather than nothing?