Might be best medicore record team next year

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: Might be best medicore record team next year

Post by tmcats » July 13th, 2021, 6:25 pm

yeah willie, it's an open secret that the larger half here are seriously funny for the liquidity of their gas, but this is obviously their outlet for clearly confused yet unbiased opinions.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » July 13th, 2021, 9:38 pm

How much coaching can the staff do with these guys in the summer? Seems like it used to be that a summer trip was a big deal b/c it gave the coaches an extra month with the team. Has summer coaching been liberalized in the age of Covid? With so many newcomers, and apparently a talent infusion, extra hands-on coaching time could be critical to this team's development. Weber may be a terrible recruiter but when he inherits talent (Illinois in '04: KSU in '12) or stumbles on to talent, he knows what to do with it.

Putting aside the debate about Weber's persona (awkward, noncharismatic, excuse-spouting technocrat v. honest, humane, x&o magician), what seems beyond debate is that both his O and his D are relatively complex and synchronized, and on those occasions (too few you may say) that he has talent to coach and time to coach it, the results are usually surprisingly good. This year will be a very good test of that assessment, If it holds I don't think the pre-season analyses of the experts hold much weight. And if it doesn't hold then he'll probably be fired and/or retire and perhaps move on to coach at College of Charleston, which he was reportedly set to do before KSU called.

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » July 14th, 2021, 8:47 am

Highway26north wrote:
July 13th, 2021, 9:38 pm
How much coaching can the staff do with these guys in the summer? Seems like it used to be that a summer trip was a big deal b/c it gave the coaches an extra month with the team. Has summer coaching been liberalized in the age of Covid? With so many newcomers, and apparently a talent infusion, extra hands-on coaching time could be critical to this team's development. Weber may be a terrible recruiter but when he inherits talent (Illinois in '04: KSU in '12) or stumbles on to talent, he knows what to do with it.

Putting aside the debate about Weber's persona (awkward, noncharismatic, excuse-spouting technocrat v. honest, humane, x&o magician), what seems beyond debate is that both his O and his D are relatively complex and synchronized, and on those occasions (too few you may say) that he has talent to coach and time to coach it, the results are usually surprisingly good. This year will be a very good test of that assessment, If it holds I don't think the pre-season analyses of the experts hold much weight. And if it doesn't hold then he'll probably be fired and/or retire and perhaps move on to coach at College of Charleston, which he was reportedly set to do before KSU called.
The off-season coaching changed roughly 5 years ago. I don't believe the "full" practices can be held, but they are way more lax than what they previously were (I'm sure some of the coaches on here know more about the current limits than I do). The fall "midnight madness" events have pretty much become a thing of the past.

Teams taking a summer trip have always been allowed to do full practices, but I don't think that is allowed this summer again (shouldn't be anyway).

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » July 19th, 2021, 12:52 pm

I really have little hope that our record will be better than 500.
Weber is not capable of getting players to exceed their capabilities.
The capabilities of our team are good as a team, but less than the majority of the teams in the B12.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » July 19th, 2021, 1:47 pm

weber has shown he can coach good talent. lots of it at k-state this season. i look for a strong, upper-half finish.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » July 19th, 2021, 2:17 pm

tmcats wrote:
July 19th, 2021, 1:47 pm
weber has shown he can coach good talent. lots of it at k-state this season. i look for a strong, upper-half finish.
Thanks for bolstering my wavering optimism. I get anxious for college basketball news during this time of year. I wish our athletic department would push out information tidbits about the team, players, and practices during this time of year. After posting I finally found a Wichita Eagle article about Murphy leaving. It mentioned that Massoud is exceeding all expectations and likely will be starting, and Landers, Lewis, Carlton will be fighting for playing time. So maybe we have a way better team than I think. I am holding back on my assumption about Weber though. He is respected in his field and has published books on coaching, but coaches are judged by what they have done lately. Lately has not been good for Weber.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » July 19th, 2021, 3:51 pm

I'm not sure you can be on the hot seat more than Weber is this coming season. He simply has to be an upper level conference team and an NCAA tourney team or he should be shown the door. As has been mentioned, his success in his title runs has bought him some extra time that other coaches like a Prohm didn't get, but he has to get it done this year, period.

With that said, he has his work cut out for him. A lot of teams in the league have added some serious dudes and the league will be very tough, but that really doesn't matter, he has to get it done or he likely will be shown the door.
These users thanked the author Gorhoops for the post:
catl

oscar

Post by oscar » July 20th, 2021, 2:03 pm

Weber likely would have been fired after the terrible 2020-21 season under normal circumstances. No way he gets another re boot if this season is not NCAA Tournament advance season.

wazucat

Post by wazucat » July 20th, 2021, 2:49 pm

oscar wrote:
July 20th, 2021, 2:03 pm
Weber likely would have been fired after the terrible 2020-21 season under normal circumstances. No way he gets another re boot if this season is not NCAA Tournament advance season.
:lol: I doubt he is canned regardless of his record this coming season

oscar

Post by oscar » July 20th, 2021, 3:00 pm

wazucat wrote:
July 20th, 2021, 2:49 pm
oscar wrote:
July 20th, 2021, 2:03 pm
:lol: I doubt he is canned regardless of his record this coming season
Man alive, another crappy season and this is straight up the tenth best program in ten team league. Just nuts that they’d let this program fall off the edge.