Might be best medicore record team next year

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
xtrawildcat

Re: Might be best medicore record team next year

Post by xtrawildcat » July 22nd, 2021, 7:28 pm

I took the time to watch a couple of Missouri games yesterday. Illinois and South Carolina.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mi ... &FORM=VIRE
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mi ... &FORM=VIRE

Even after watching I do not know how Mark Smith will impact our results.
On offense:
1. MU ran an offense that left one player standing in the corner while D Smith and a couple of other players ran ball screens and isos out top to try to attack the rim. Almost like MU wanted to play 4 on 4. Mark Smith was usually that player in the corner.
2. He was always sent back to defend against fast breaks so very few offensive rebounding opportunities.
3. Had a quick release and in these two games was hitting threes.. But all of his shots came off other players actions. They did not run screens to open him up for shots in these two games.
4. He did drive the lane a few times and looked competent executing and finishing or at least drawing a foul when he did.
5. Compared to D Gordon he did not try to force offense and took care of the ball in these two games.
Defense.
1. Seemed solid but did not seem to guard the other teams play makers. Was in the right position on help but MU seemed to value shading the perimeter shooter more than aggressively helping on drives. So some drives to the rim happened without Smith helping but I think he would have no problem playing whatever the coaches wanted. Did not get lost on weak side defense like Dajuan.
2. Seemed to do a good job of blocking out but not as good as Dajuan at going and getting the ball.

I definitely see why Smith would be interested in playing for a different coach that would let him be more of the offense. Now we'll find out if he fits well in a role similar to what Mike McGuirl had last year. (Occasional playmaker, occasional spot up shooter, occasional shooter off screens)

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » July 23rd, 2021, 7:14 pm

Maybe we are about to become a basketball top dog in power meh conference.

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » July 23rd, 2021, 8:37 pm

North Central Kansas league

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » July 23rd, 2021, 11:08 pm

PurpleOnWhite wrote:
July 23rd, 2021, 8:37 pm
North Central Kansas league
Hopefully Ft. Hays isn't in the league.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
Highway26north