Might be best medicore record team next year

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
SCKSCat

Might be best medicore record team next year

Post by SCKSCat » July 11th, 2021, 7:31 am

I think we are going to have a very good team next year.
If in another league, record wise, a juggernaut.
But man the Big 12 will have some monsters next yead.
A final middle placing in the standings will not be bad.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » July 11th, 2021, 8:40 am

SCKSCat wrote:
July 11th, 2021, 7:31 am
I think we are going to have a very good team next year.
If in another league, record wise, a juggernaut.
But man the Big 12 will have some monsters next yead.
A final middle placing in the standings will not be bad.
Yep.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » July 11th, 2021, 1:24 pm

Here we go...
These users thanked the author gdgjr78 for the post:
wazucat
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » July 11th, 2021, 4:53 pm

KU and Texas will be top 5 teams. Baylor in the top 10. WVU, OU, OSU should be in the 25-35 range. Should be #1 RPI conference even without mentioning ISU, KSU and TCU. But there is no reason why KSU shouldn't set a target to be 4th in the Big 12.

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » July 11th, 2021, 7:09 pm

Tho Austin has been the place where good coaches go to die, I wouldn't bet against Beard turning them into a perennial powerhouse.

ksustars754
Has thanked: 0

Post by ksustars754 » July 11th, 2021, 9:24 pm

If the conference is that good and the Cats are 6th in the league but still a 7 seed or so in the tourney, that’s fine by me. It just can’t be “8th and fringe NIT team but cmon conference is amazing so that’s actually improvement” finish.

INTERSTATEDAD

Post by INTERSTATEDAD » July 11th, 2021, 10:41 pm

Certainly seems as though the Cat's and the rest of the B12 have their work cut out for them. The NIL's have given the KU "money barons" the ability to pay the the team in the open. They all magically decided to come back.....

I just want to see good fundamental basketball and let the chips fall where they may.

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » July 12th, 2021, 8:47 am

Seriously??? Just a few months ago people (including Weber) were talking about how KSU would move up because of what all the other teams were losing. Terrible thought process by the way...

Like I said then, everybody is going to try to improve (including Baylor & KU) & finishing in the bottom half of the league again will be a failure. If KSU just wants to sit back and wait for every team to get worse, they will continue to wallow at the bottom of the conference!
These users thanked the author JOKKO for the post (total 2):
SCKSCatgdgjr78

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » July 12th, 2021, 9:40 am

This coming year is going to be unusual for a number of reasons. I think the preseason polls may be even more guesswork than usual as a result.

The first point I would raise is the importance of the "super senior" rule with extended eligibility that overrides the 13-scholarship limit. Not only will we see players returning for a fifth year of actual competition (not just five to play four) for the first time ever, but there will be more room for good players in college basketball because of the increase in the overall number of scholarships for this year.

KSU isn't as fortunate as some teams in this area since KSU had only one senior, and he was a nice player but not a star. None-the-less, having a fifth-year player with McGuirl's ability and experience as the "fourteenth player on the bench" sure helps with team depth. Also, KSU will be getting a fifth-year player in Mark Smith who will also give a boost to team experience.

There is no question about the rich getting richer with the new transfer rules. Combined with the point raised above, this will lead to some monster rosters for some of the top teams. Getting an NCAA bid will likely be much tougher this particular year as a result. One potential downside is that coaches may have to deal with some serious team chemistry issues. Only time will tell how this all works out.

As for KSU, I do expect to see some dramatic improvement in the level of play compared to the last two seasons (not a high bar, obviously), but it will be a major challenge to get an NCAA bid. We can only hope that the dramatic improvement over the last six games (largely freshman driven) continues and blossoms with the addition of substantial new talent. I am looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

wazucat

Post by wazucat » July 12th, 2021, 10:28 am

Why aspire for greatness when mediocrity is there for the taking.
These users thanked the author wazucat for the post (total 2):
wild@nitegdgjr78