Joe Petrakis to Western Carolina

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: Joe Petrakis to Western Carolina

Post by tmcats » July 6th, 2021, 1:36 pm

or, does he even follow basketball? ku has ten new roster members this year, ten! illinois just lost the best center in the game to the portal.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » July 6th, 2021, 3:02 pm

tmcats wrote:
July 6th, 2021, 1:36 pm
or, does he even follow basketball? ku has ten new roster members this year, ten! illinois just lost the best center in the game to the portal.
I believe he is more referring to the fact that he went to a lower level.

I have been critical of Weber the last year, but Petrakis transferring to get a D1 scholarship should be more of a feather in BW's cap. JP was never going to be much of a contributor at KSU, but he was a great player to get as a walkon. I am sure he learned quite a bit his one year and now has turned it into a scholarship.

Time for everyone to quit complaining about players transferring. No one is immune & it might get worse before it gets better.
These users thanked the author JOKKO for the post:
tmcats

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » July 6th, 2021, 4:58 pm

people who insist on taking potshots at the program ought to at least do so with some semblance of understanding the game, program, sport itself.

epicsnyder

Post by epicsnyder » July 6th, 2021, 5:24 pm

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
July 6th, 2021, 9:51 am
epicsnyder wrote:
July 6th, 2021, 6:20 am
Just ANOTHER guy that leaves, and ends up at a less competitive program, in a less competitive conference. Seems like we have had more than our fair share of those.
Do you actually follow KSU basketball? Joe was a walk-on from a JUCO who was clearly not a high major player from his JUCO stats. He was a willing practice player because his dream was to be at KSU. He was eventually awarded a scholarship (for one semester, IIRC) to reward him for his contributions as a practice player. He was never a recruited scholarship player at KSU.
Do you (and the homers that liked your post) actually READ posts or just read INTO the post what you want? Never said anything about him being a scholarship player. Did I? Please, all of you, explain your stance that we haven't had a bunch of guys leave, to lesser programs. :popcorn:
In a perfect world, everyone would choose hard work, morals and ethics over obscene money and fame. And everyone outside of Lowrents would be required to be a red blooded, card carrying Payhawk hater.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » July 6th, 2021, 6:26 pm

epicsnyder wrote:
July 6th, 2021, 5:24 pm
IStillLikeHarv wrote:
July 6th, 2021, 9:51 am

Do you actually follow KSU basketball? Joe was a walk-on from a JUCO who was clearly not a high major player from his JUCO stats. He was a willing practice player because his dream was to be at KSU. He was eventually awarded a scholarship (for one semester, IIRC) to reward him for his contributions as a practice player. He was never a recruited scholarship player at KSU.
Do you (and the homers that liked your post) actually READ posts or just read INTO the post what you want? Never said anything about him being a scholarship player. Did I? Please, all of you, explain your stance that we haven't had a bunch of guys leave, to lesser programs. :popcorn:
:rofl:

You said he was "just another guy who...". The point is that he is not just another guy. He was a young man who came to KSU unrecruited because his dream was to be at KSU even though he knew he was not a high major player. He more than fulfilled his dream (since he was awarded an open scholarship for a semester) and then went on to another school that probably would not have even offered him a scholarship based on his JUCO play. The kid was a total success story, and you are moaning about it.
These users thanked the author IStillLikeHarv for the post:
tmcats

epicsnyder

Post by epicsnyder » July 6th, 2021, 9:33 pm

Yep, just another of many who have left and slid down a notch. But you keep reading into what you wish. You clearly missed my point.
In a perfect world, everyone would choose hard work, morals and ethics over obscene money and fame. And everyone outside of Lowrents would be required to be a red blooded, card carrying Payhawk hater.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » July 8th, 2021, 2:23 pm

istilllikeharv!

Quietstorm5

Post by Quietstorm5 » July 8th, 2021, 4:29 pm

epicsnyder wrote:
July 6th, 2021, 9:33 pm
Yep, just another of many who have left and slid down a notch. But you keep reading into what you wish. You clearly missed my point.
So you feel going from a walk-on for 1.5 years to a full ride scholarship for 3 years is a step down?
These users thanked the author Quietstorm5 for the post:
stlcatfan

epicsnyder

Post by epicsnyder » July 8th, 2021, 4:59 pm

Quietstorm5 wrote:
July 8th, 2021, 4:29 pm
epicsnyder wrote:
July 6th, 2021, 9:33 pm
So you feel going from a walk-on for 1.5 years to a full ride scholarship for 3 years is a step down?
Good God why can't some people farking read or comprehend meaning.

YES. It is a "step down".

Because it was in reference to TALENT LEVEL AND LEVEL OF COMPETITION. I have no problem with kids transferring. I have no problem with kids going to a better situation for them.

NealyFan

Post by NealyFan » July 8th, 2021, 5:01 pm

I am happy for Joe. My original response was towards scholarship players who transferred down. Bad talent evaluation or development.
“It’s a tremendous challenge. The opportunity exists here today... for the greatest turnaround in college football history. And it’s not one to be taken lightly.” —- Bill Snyder