Article on Massoud

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
xtrawildcat

Article on Massoud

Post by xtrawildcat » April 20th, 2021, 8:03 am

Sorry if this article may have been posted already. Interview Robinett had with Massoud. This guy sounds like a guy who can play like Shane Southwell. I hope we don't mess him up with upper body weight training.

Shooting with weighted balls as he describes is my idea of upper body weight training for players who shoot from range.

New transfer Ismael Massoud eager to showcase unique offensive skills at Kansas State
BY KELLIS ROBINETT
APRIL 20, 2021 05:00 AM

Forget for a moment that Ismael Massoud is a 6-foot-8 forward who spent much of last season playing the role of a traditional big man at Wake Forest.

Kansas State’s newest incoming transfer won’t be doing much of that for the Wildcats next season.

Even though Massoud is capable of battling for rebounds and playing with his back to the basket in the paint, his offensive skillset is much better suited for the perimeter. One look at his stats is all it takes to realize his natural position is at the four as a stretch player or even on the wing as a three. He is the rare big man who shoots it better from three-point range (36.3%) than he does from two-point range (35.3%).

“We were undersized because of COVID and just in general, so I had to play a lot at the five last season,” Massoud said. “It definitely made me a better player, being down there and playing against bigger guys. It made me stronger, too, but I’m looking forward to moving back to the perimeter.”

“They have really great guard play at Kansas State and they obviously have really good bigs. I expect to fit right in between both of those and complement them.”

Indeed, the Wildcats plan to use Massoud as a plug-and-play forward who can stretch the floor with his shooting ability while also occasionally asking him to move inside to help fill the rebounding void left by departing transfers Antonio Gordon and DaJuan Gordon.

K-State men’s basketball coach Bruce Weber said he was hesitant to fill the team’s final scholarship spot this cycle, because the Wildcats already had 13 scholarship players with Mike McGuirl returning as a “super senior.” But he changed his mind after talking to Massoud, saying he “was too good to turn down.”

He should immediately compete for a starting spot at the four.

“He’s definitely an upgrade to our forward spot, especially on the offensive end,” K-State assistant coach Shane Southwell said. “He has that ability to stretch the floor with his shooting ability, but also as a passer. People have to be mindful of his ability as a passer and where he is on the floor. Just looking at his tape from this past season, you can watch the opposing bench and see how mad they were when Ismael got a shot up because he is that much of a scoring threat. He will definitely be a big-time weapon for us.”

Massoud averaged 8.3 points and 3.4 rebounds as a sophomore last season. But he flashed big-time potential in a victory over Pittsburgh in which he drained eight three-pointers on his way to a career-high 31 points. He also had 17 points in a game against Duke.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 20th, 2021, 8:14 am

sounds like a dean wade type on offense. hopefully, he learns to be that category of defender as well.

tickles me to have shane southwell now a face and voice of the program. he's going to be a rock star with that infectious persona.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 20th, 2021, 5:28 pm

There is a good article headline in the Wichita Eagle about Southwell's recruiting prowess today. As a bonafide fiscal efficient conservative (cheapskate), I have used all of my free monthly articles.. So can someone copy and post.

NealyFan

Post by NealyFan » April 20th, 2021, 6:48 pm

Maybe the next coach will retain him
“It’s a tremendous challenge. The opportunity exists here today... for the greatest turnaround in college football history. And it’s not one to be taken lightly.” —- Bill Snyder

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 20th, 2021, 7:12 pm

NealyFan wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 6:48 pm
How long before he becomes the next HC (anywhere)?

Maybe (hopefully) Weber gets it turned back around with the frosh class (soon to be sophs) and the transfers, Southwell continues to help bolster recruiting over the next couple years, they win another championship and go to the tournament each year and Weber turns the keys over to Southwell?
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
NealyFan

NealyFan

Post by NealyFan » April 20th, 2021, 10:06 pm

bhoovy wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 7:12 pm
NealyFan wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 6:48 pm

Maybe (hopefully) Weber gets it turned back around with the frosh class (soon to be sophs) and the transfers, Southwell continues to help bolster recruiting over the next couple years, they win another championship and go to the tournament each year and Weber turns the keys over to Southwell?
If that happens, great.
“It’s a tremendous challenge. The opportunity exists here today... for the greatest turnaround in college football history. And it’s not one to be taken lightly.” —- Bill Snyder

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » April 21st, 2021, 10:39 am

NealyFan wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 10:06 pm
bhoovy wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 7:12 pm

If that happens, great.
Hopefully Ksu wins at least a couple games in the Ncaa tourney then. If Ksu doesn't make the Ncaa tourney next year or survive past the 1st Rd it will mean 1 time in the past decade Ksu has made it to the 2nd rd of the Ncaa tourney.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"