other schools' coaching news and stuff ...

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
farrout10

Re: other schools' coaching news and stuff ...

Post by farrout10 » March 16th, 2024, 6:55 pm

Guess we didn’t know what we had just ran into!

DeereCatFan

Pick 'Em

Post by DeereCatFan » March 16th, 2024, 9:19 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 6:38 pm
Cyclones are putting it to Houston.
It will make these fans even more difficult
I might have to call in sick Monday.....
These users thanked the author DeereCatFan for the post:
stlcatfan

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » March 16th, 2024, 10:06 pm

Basketball is a strange, strange game. The best can look like chumps, not champs in one game.

Play ISU again and the score might reverse.

Just goes to show that when a team gets full of self importance, the Basketball Gods have a way of humbling you -- on national TV.
These users thanked the author ToledoCat#3 for the post:
katlander

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » March 16th, 2024, 10:18 pm

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 10:06 pm
Basketball is a strange, strange game. The best can look like chumps, not champs in one game.

Just goes to show that when a team gets full of self importance, the Basketball Gods have a way of humbling you -- on national TV.
I’m not sure anyone got full of themselves. It’s how basketball goes. When you have games you can’t put the ball in the hoop you’re going to lose. Houston was brutal shooting. Baylor was brutal shooting. North Carolina was brutal shooting. I watched a little of the MAAC with Fairfield and St Peters. Fairfield is supposed to be one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the country and couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn. It happens.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » March 16th, 2024, 10:20 pm

Hartman used to talk a lot about rhythm. That's what it is, rhythm.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post:
WildcatEngineer

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » March 17th, 2024, 8:15 am

bhoovy wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 10:18 pm
ToledoCat#3 wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 10:06 pm

I’m not sure anyone got full of themselves. It’s how basketball goes. When you have games you can’t put the ball in the hoop you’re going to lose. Houston was brutal shooting. Baylor was brutal shooting. North Carolina was brutal shooting. I watched a little of the MAAC with Fairfield and St Peters. Fairfield is supposed to be one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the country and couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn. It happens.
Houston's offense was exposed. They could not get good shots. And they were unable to create shots outside of their offense.
Some times team miss open shots but that was not Houston's problem.

ToledoCat#3

Post by ToledoCat#3 » March 17th, 2024, 9:54 am

I think Houston began to believe it was inevitable for them to win the tourney and the Big Dance. The Clones likely brought them down out of the clouds and will make them doubly hard to oust in the Big Dance.

ToledoCat#3

Post by ToledoCat#3 » March 17th, 2024, 9:54 am

I think Houston began to believe it was inevitable for them to win the tourney and the Big Dance. The Clones likely brought them down out of the clouds and will make them doubly hard to oust in the Big Dance.

NatCat2

Post by NatCat2 » March 17th, 2024, 10:16 am

I kind of expected Iowa State to win the Big12 tournament. Their mugging defense plays well at home with a big crowd and the Big12 refs will let them get away with it. And with Big12 refs and their traveling fans filling it up in KC I figured they’d still get away with it.
Let’s see how far they make it in the tourney. At some point they’ll have an officiating crew that won’t let them mug the other team so they’ll be in foul trouble and the other team will be shooting free throws all game. And from the double bonus. Plus the teams they play will get better and they’ll take advantage of it.
I predict they make it to the sweet 16 but not the final four.
These users thanked the author NatCat2 for the post:
stlcatfan

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » March 17th, 2024, 10:45 am

NatCat2 wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 10:16 am
I kind of expected Iowa State to win the Big12 tournament. Their mugging defense plays well at home with a big crowd and the Big12 refs will let them get away with it. And with Big12 refs and their traveling fans filling it up in KC I figured they’d still get away with it.
Let’s see how far they make it in the tourney. At some point they’ll have an officiating crew that won’t let them mug the other team so they’ll be in foul trouble and the other team will be shooting free throws all game. And from the double bonus. Plus the teams they play will get better and they’ll take advantage of it.
I predict they make it to the sweet 16 but not the final four.
They have learned this approach from KU. Mug the other team until the refs start calling fouls - and if they don't you get away with it, if they do start calling it then whine about a few fouls and back it down just a touch and still get away with fouling while playing overly physical defense (yet still fouling). The refs typically won't call a foul every possession down the court because they know that ruins the flow of the game, so they get accustomed to how physical the game is being played and let stuff go. The other team has to match or exceed the physicality of it and force the officials to blow the whistle every time down the court - or get into an altercation that forces the refs to tighten EVERYTHING up. Bill Self has done this forever when playing in Lawrence. Frank Martin figured this out and was overall pretty good and matching or exceeding the physicality of play. You have to force the officials to blow their whistles to get the game under control. ISU has taken the same approach. As noted, it ends up hurting them down the road in the NCAA tourney when they can't get away with it. The real problem is, when the fouls are only called on one team. The team on the receiving end has to respond by hammering the other team in retaliation and force the refs to call it both ways or the game will totally get out of control. That's when you put in a few back up players and just hammer the other team physically - and I mean hammer them. Essentially force the officials to get the game under control.
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post (total 2):
Kralicekstlcatfan
EMAW