Markquis Nowell to K-State

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
katlander

Pick 'Em

Re: Markquis Nowell to K-State

Post by katlander » March 31st, 2021, 10:51 am

Puffdad wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 10:32 am
Sounds nice but I don’t know why...... but I always preferred they show me.
Show you what?

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » March 31st, 2021, 3:35 pm

So with Smith and Nowell what do we have, one more available scholarship to offer?

Any one seen who else they might be looking at (Mr AJ sir)?
Seems an experienced 4 that could contribute wouldn’t be a bad idea?

Should be full of guards now.
Have two guys to play the 5.

Or stash it for next year if there’s not someone who could be a difference maker for next season??

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » March 31st, 2021, 4:36 pm

IF this guy has attitude issues next year with his role and/or minutes on the team I better not hear the old familiar excuses that it's out of the coaching staffs hands etc. They know EXACTLY what they are getting, a kid that bailed mid-season on his team last year because he was unhappy.
These users thanked the author gdgjr78 for the post (total 5):
epicsnyderPuffdadwild@nitePurpleOnWhitewazucat
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » March 31st, 2021, 4:45 pm

katlander wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 10:51 am
Puffdad wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 10:32 am
Sounds nice but I don’t know why...... but I always preferred they show me.
Show you what?
How willing they are to settle into the role that coach needs them to fill.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » March 31st, 2021, 8:19 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 4:36 pm
IF this guy has attitude issues next year with his role and/or minutes on the team I better not hear the old familiar excuses that it's out of the coaching staffs hands etc. They know EXACTLY what they are getting, a kid that bailed mid-season on his team last year because he was unhappy.
Agreed, I like what the kid has to offer on the court, but there's also a lot of risk. His coach essentially said "Good riddance". But in Bruces situation, he has to take some risk and hope it pays off... he doesn't have anymore time to wait for the younger guys to get older. We shall see.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » March 31st, 2021, 9:16 pm

Nowell brings many possibilities, but one crucial factor.

If anything happens to Nijel that results in him missing significant time on the court, Nowell is a true point guard who has some of the same abilities that Nijel has. A different player, but both can run an offense. I hope KSU never has to deal with Nijel being out, but if they do, Nowell is the insurance policy.

Nowell's other obvious role is to back up Nijel so he doesn't have to play 40 minutes a game. There is a definite risk/reward factor involved with Nowell (and transfers in general), but the potential rewards with Nowell and Smith are worth a reasonable risk. The coaches have a lot of leverage in both cases. We'll see, but I am optimistic that both Nowell and Smith can be positive contributors.
These users thanked the author IStillLikeHarv for the post (total 2):
SCKSCatstlcatfan

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 2nd, 2021, 8:33 am

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 9:16 pm
Nowell brings many possibilities, but one crucial factor.

If anything happens to Nijel that results in him missing significant time on the court, Nowell is a true point guard who has some of the same abilities that Nijel has. A different player, but both can run an offense. I hope KSU never has to deal with Nijel being out, but if they do, Nowell is the insurance policy.

Nowell's other obvious role is to back up Nijel so he doesn't have to play 40 minutes a game. There is a definite risk/reward factor involved with Nowell (and transfers in general), but the potential rewards with Nowell and Smith are worth a reasonable risk. The coaches have a lot of leverage in both cases. We'll see, but I am optimistic that both Nowell and Smith can be positive contributors.

I agree with all of this but I see more from Nowell. This guy is a creator. I love Nijel and think he will be an all league type player for us. I think it is BS that he was left off the all freshman team. Nijel is fundamentally sound and does not take a lot of chances. He plays sound and with confidence but not with swagger.

Nowell has attitude and makes things happen. He is a disruptive type of player. A creator. I see his style of play more in the vein of Denny and Jake. Up tempo, all out, and in attack mode. Probably more Denny then Jake. He plays fast. He brings another dimension to the team. My biggest question is how this style will mesh with the other players on our team and if he can hold up defensively against B12 guards. I like the idea of him at the point and Nijel spotting up for threes. But they are so small, but Jake and Denny were small too. So we'll see.

This guy is a proven commodity and needs to see the floor. 15 or more minutes per game unless it just doesn't work.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 2nd, 2021, 8:41 am

Puffdad wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 4:45 pm
katlander wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 10:51 am

Show you what?
I would like to know exactly why they decided to transfer. Will they be happy coming off the bench or do they expect to win a starting spot? That may be the key to their staying at K-State. Hopefully Bruce has checked this out. His job depends on it.

Quietstorm5

Post by Quietstorm5 » April 2nd, 2021, 9:01 am

katlander wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 8:41 am
Puffdad wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 4:45 pm

I would like to know exactly why they decided to transfer. Will they be happy coming off the bench or do they expect to win a starting spot? That may be the key to their staying at K-State. Hopefully Bruce has checked this out. His job depends on it.
It seems to have been checked out. There are a couple of articles out today that show the connection the staff has to him and why and how they got the quick commit. Shane has known Nowell and his family for many years. So I think everyone feels comfortable with expectations and they have discussed things in detail about available playing time. Rivals info dovetails with this. But we won't have proof positive until the season starts.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 2nd, 2021, 9:20 am

Good news that Shane knows him and his family. Its all starting to make sense. Do you know what his issues were at APB?