Reality versus optimism. Tough to handle.

For the most part, this board's a free for all. Don't say I didn't warn you...
ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Re: Reality versus optimism. Tough to handle.

Post by ToledoCat#3 » April 7th, 2021, 11:39 am

The only time in my 60+ years as a K-State fan that I actually wanted KSU to lose so it could get a new coach was when Tan Tom Assburied was coach. I hated that guy as our coach. Wooly? I just felt sorry for him. but wished him success.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » April 7th, 2021, 12:13 pm

After two disastrous seasons I'm not buying any offseason hype. I'll believe it when I see it on the court.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » April 7th, 2021, 12:26 pm

katlander wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 10:24 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 6:57 pm
The problem is some posters on this board believe Ksu is the only team in the conference that will improve AND that Ksu is bringing in ultra talented recruits ready to play right away. The past couple of offseasons the returning and incoming talent has been grossly overrated.
I don't know anyone who thought our incoming talent was going be great right out of the gate. i think most of us knew we would likely finish near the bottom of the conference this year. Damn gouger, whose team are you on. All I hear from you is negativity. Regardless who the coach is I cheer for the Cats and the Coach. I get the feeling you want a cheater. I don't. Its pretty hard to compete with the cheaters but some years we have done pretty well and Weber deserves credit where credit is due.
Good God "I get the feeling you want a cheater.", why because I'm irritated with Weber after two disastrous seasons in a row and more transfers than I can count that have led to multiple team rebuilds. Where's the foundation of this program that should be firmly established after 9 years? Sure feels like it's been built on sand that is constantly shifting and moving (10 games under .500 in conference play after 9 years). I don't want a cheater I want a winner and I'm tired of the nonstop excuses from the Weberites.

katlander

Post by katlander » April 7th, 2021, 2:44 pm

How many of the top programs are on the up and up? How and why did Gonzaga get Suggs? Does anyone really know, or even care, what is going on. Too much emphasis on winning is the impetus for cheating. Apparently when we got Beasley Huggie and Frank were cheating. I suspect both Baylor and Beard of cheating. I think it is wide spread. Not all players are for sale but a chance for an 18 year old to get 100K for his family is fairly enticing. KU is in trouble because they were reckless. But to think that there is not a lot of this going on is a bit naive.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » April 7th, 2021, 3:07 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 12:13 pm
After two disastrous seasons I'm not buying any offseason hype. I'll believe it when I see it on the court.
And that is a completely reasonable attitude. I think many fans will rightly remain agnostic about KSU basketball until they prove on the court that the surge at the end of last season was not simply a fluke. We will also have to see how the pieces all fit together, and we won't know that until they play against good competition. I think there is plenty of evidence both ways going into next season, so it's just a matter of not letting biases have too big an effect -- unless you want them to, and that's any fan's privilege.

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » April 7th, 2021, 4:49 pm

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 3:07 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 12:13 pm
And that is a completely reasonable attitude. I think many fans will rightly remain agnostic about KSU basketball until they prove on the court that the surge at the end of last season was not simply a fluke. We will also have to see how the pieces all fit together, and we won't know that until they play against good competition. I think there is plenty of evidence both ways going into next season, so it's just a matter of not letting biases have too big an effect -- unless you want them to, and that's any fan's privilege.
I don't think the end of the season was a fluke. I just think it was a product of the opponents they got to play at the end of the year.

The performance against Baylor (even in a loss) was encouraging, but the other 3 Ws were all pretty much "meh" against the other Wednesday teams.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » April 7th, 2021, 7:03 pm

JOKKO wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 4:49 pm
IStillLikeHarv wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 3:07 pm

I don't think the end of the season was a fluke. I just think it was a product of the opponents they got to play at the end of the year.

The performance against Baylor (even in a loss) was encouraging, but the other 3 Ws were all pretty much "meh" against the other Wednesday teams.
The last Baylor game is something I continue to think about now. Baylor had not seemed themselves since the covid layoff and they lost their next game so I initially believed it was more about Baylor being off than Ksu playing better. Certainly I can see the point of view that the Baylor game performance is a good indicator for next year but for me the proof is in the pudding next year.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » April 7th, 2021, 7:45 pm

Last few games of the season showed promise regardless who the opponent was. But we beat a good OU team and played as competitive with Baylor as anybody except for the Baylor Covid games.

McGuirl letting the game come to him a bit. Taken off the ball and not forcing as much.
Healthy Pack showing he can make plays and hit shots. Plus play on the ball and off the ball.
Bradford becoming a force on offense that other teams have to deal with. Kaosi becoming a capable back up to Bradford.
Miguel playing lock down on ball defense and creating on offense. But with lots of room to grow.

Lost Dejuan but replaced him with Mark Smith.
Lost Rudi but replaced him with an all Sun Belt guard who can create plays and make shots.
Lost AG but will replace him with a healthy Murphy.

Possiblility of adding another transfer at the 4 spot. Massoud from Wake Forest.

Then see if Luke can become a contributing player. Linguard and Lewis have potential but definitely unknown if they will become contributors.

Finally, add two freshmen in Max and Landers. Unknown if they can contribute next year.

Quite a lot to likr about next years teams but also lots of unknowns. Just have to wait and see the play.
These users thanked the author xtrawildcat for the post (total 2):
stlcatfantmcats

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » April 8th, 2021, 8:30 am

One thing I have been thinking a lot about lately is whether Weber will adapt to how college basketball operates in the current time? Honestly, college basketball at this point is more like juco basketball in that it may not matter what you do, your roster is going to see quite a bit of turnover year after year. People that are going to be successful obviously have to work really hard to build a culture that people want to stay in for multiple years, but coaches that are going to be successful also are going to have to adapt to coaching in a time when you can't rely on having guys for 3 or 4 years.

Coach Weber as publicly said he doesn't like taking transfers and his recent track record with juco guys proves that pretty clearly. Fact is, being active in the transfer game is going to be incredibly important moving forward and the ability to quickly integrate new players into your program is going to be huge as well. It was obvious that the juco guys in recent years generally had a hard time integrating to the defense-first way of doing things. I hate to say coaches need to lessen their demands, but making adjustments definitely seems necessary.

Will be interesting to see how it goes moving forward.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 8th, 2021, 9:04 am

several people commenting on roy williams's retirement tied it to among other things the changing roster/recruiting/transfer environment that he loathed.
"Internet brains are teflon to the positive but velcro for the negative."