UMKC transfer getting our attention (he can play)

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Hypeman

Re: UMKC transfer getting our attention (he can play)

Post by Hypeman » March 31st, 2021, 7:46 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 4:33 pm
If I had to choose between D Gordon and M Smith I pick Gordon especially since he's only played 2 years. He's a better athlete, defender, and rebounder. Smith is a better perimeter shooter and they both are careless with the ball. I guess you can call it a wash if you really like Smith.
I guess I’m looking forward to seeing Smith. I thought the loss of Gordon would hurt pretty bad because of the little things a guy with that sort or athleticism can do. That said he seemed like a pouter but I could be wrong being that we were watching on TV all year. Adding smith sounds like it could be a was at worst or maybe an improvement. The nice thing is that he’s experienced and won’t need much time to adjust.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 31st, 2021, 7:49 pm

Puffdad wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 6:56 pm
Hypeman wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 3:32 pm

On the surface, the two guards look like real good pick-ups. Yapping about his assist to TO ratio is nothing more than folks hoping for failure. If the guy was the Illinois POY, he’s will probably going to be the most talented player on the team next year.

It looks like a big off-season recruiting win for BW. He may be down, but don’t count him out quite yet. We all know what he can do with even marginal talent, and that’s win baby, with a capital W.
BTW Hype “yapping about his assist to turnover ratio” isn’t hoping for failure. It’s a stat that needs to be fixed to have a chance for success.
If I recall correctly, he doesn’t have a lot of assists or turnovers for a full season. I assume he’s a wing shooter which would explain a lot about that stat. Seems some are looking for something to complain about. We just landed an Illinois POY for god sakes. “Illinois”. They got a few players in that state. That sound like a big deal.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » March 31st, 2021, 7:54 pm

Hypeman wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 7:41 pm
wild@nite wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 6:58 pm

But Puff, you are just an established veteran coach who has coached and coached against several next level guys. You couldn't possibly know as much as someone who "laced em up" at that level. 🙄
Where did you coach Wildman? 1A HS? :snore: We already know where puff coached.

Since you asked..... I've coached at every level except 5A and turned down a college position in 1997 to stay at the HS level because I valued seeing my children on a nightly basis. I've discussed this on here before. Puff has had that opportunity too. I haven't pursued it since.

Hey, I'm no John Wooden, but telling me I don't know what im talking about is ignorant. I'm defending that and you are digging deeper holes in your knowledge level. Surprise. Hype is what we all know you as. It's about all you bring.

If you are so "snore" with it, why ask?
Last edited by wild@nite on March 31st, 2021, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 31st, 2021, 7:57 pm

wild@nite wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 7:54 pm
Hypeman wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 7:41 pm

Where did you coach Wildman? 1A HS? :snore: We already know where puff coached.

Since you asked..... I've coached at every level except 5A and turned down a college position in 1997 to stay at the HS level because I valued seeing my children on a nightly basis. I've discussed this on here before. Puff has had that opportunity too. I javen't pursued it since. Hey, I'm no John Wooden, but telling me I don't know what im talking about says a lot about your lack of knowledge.

So you’ve never been around the college game. It’s a world of difference from HS.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » March 31st, 2021, 8:05 pm

Hypeman wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 7:57 pm
wild@nite wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 7:54 pm

Since you asked..... I've coached at every level except 5A and turned down a college position in 1997 to stay at the HS level because I valued seeing my children on a nightly basis. I've discussed this on here before. Puff has had that opportunity too. I javen't pursued it since. Hey, I'm no John Wooden, but telling me I don't know what im talking about says a lot about your lack of knowledge.

So you’ve never been around the college game. It’s a world of difference from HS.
Wasn't fortunate enough to get a scholly out of HS (6'0" shooting guards with average athleticism isn't attracting many coaches) and chose not to coach at that level, but I'm very aware that there is a significant difference from HS to D2 or D1. I've coached and coached against many of those players, but that isn't the point. The point is could NWMS beat KState or ISU this year? Yes, they could. Every time? No. Early on, especially, they could have. Are you saying they could go to Duke and take em to the wire, but couldn't beat that garbage ISU team on occasion?

Wrong.... Just flat wrong.

Now, if you want to continue down the "I played college ball", Al Bundy road, have at it. My point has been made. You disagree and think Im clueless. The feeling is mutual.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 31st, 2021, 8:18 pm

wild@nite wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 8:05 pm
Hypeman wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 7:57 pm

Wasn't fortunate enough to get a scholly out of HS (6'0" shooting guards with average athleticism isn't attracting many coaches) and chose not to coach at that level, but I'm very aware that there is a significant difference from HS to D2 or D1. I've coached and coached against many of those players, but that isn't the point. The point is could NWMS beat KState or ISU this year? Yes, they could. Every time? No. Early on, especially, they could have. Are you saying they could go to Duke and take em to the wire, but couldn't beat that garbage ISU team on occasion?

Wrong.... Just flat wrong.

Now, if you want to continue down the "I played college ball", Al Bundy road, have at it. My point has been made. You disagree and think Im clueless. The feeling is mutual.
:thumbsup: Good call. Let’s agree to disagree.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » April 2nd, 2021, 11:04 am

He's heading to Florida. Doubt KSU was ever strongly considered.
These users thanked the author AJcat7755 for the post:
gdgjr78

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » April 2nd, 2021, 12:00 pm

I promise, this is my last post on this, but someone just told me about this comment (and sent me other links) so I looked it up, and just couldn't resist not posting it. Apparently, Coach K doesn't know what he's talking about either. I think he's a cheater, but he knows bball.
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/col ... 84708.html

“Coach said it, that team knows how to win,” Jones said. “Coach even said he thinks they’ll beat a lot of DI teams. It was a good win, especially knowing they shot 15 of 34 (from three) and we were still able to force them into 21 turnovers. It was a lot of good things we took from the game and we can look to improve on.”

Other interesting links on the topic. Whether you agree or not, it can, does, and will continue to happen. It's naive to think otherwise.

https://proskillsbasketball.com/playing ... asketball/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketb ... r=5adf2f57

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » April 2nd, 2021, 5:55 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 11:04 am

He may have answered the KSU staffs phone call but that's about it.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

Coach314

Post by Coach314 » April 3rd, 2021, 9:11 am

gdgjr78 wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 5:55 pm
AJcat7755 wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 11:04 am

He may have answered the KSU staffs phone call but that's about it.
Weber gave a great presentation. Spoke to Mckissic and his Mom for an hour and a half.
These users thanked the author Coach314 for the post:
Puffdad