rumors on twitter that d'gordon ...

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Sir Ocelot

Re: rumors on twitter that d'gordon ...

Post by Sir Ocelot » March 20th, 2021, 11:23 am

I suppose that most coaches that are recruiting ballplayers at this level have to tell them how great they are and how great their opportunities will be with their team to have a chance of recruiting them.

Then, once they get on campus, the coaches have to tell them that they need to improve and work and work just to keep up with other players on their team and on other teams. They may not be the best player on their team anymore. And there are five players per only one basketball.

Most players have a total change of scenery from high school - city, academics, and people.

And it is very easy to transfer now.

I am not surprised that lots of players transfer.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 20th, 2021, 11:24 am

it is so easy to use a broad brush suggesting that michael beasley or bill walker's academics represent every student-athlete. when the reality is that's a completely false narrative. here's mike mcguirl, why not use him as the example? good grief, he's far more representative.

2020 Academic All-Big 12 Second Team
2019 Academic All-Big 12 First Team
2018 Academic All-Big 12 Rookie Team
Fall 2017 Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll
Spring 2018 Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll
Fall 2018 Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll
Spring 2019 Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll
Spring 2020 Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll (4.0 GPA)
Last edited by tmcats on March 20th, 2021, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » March 20th, 2021, 11:26 am

Way, way too many have transferred out because they are not good enough too play. I think most of us can agree with that in hindsight. But again that’s just a huge recruiting miss. If Weber and assistants can’t see who can play at this level, and who can’t, that’s a red flag and a major problem. And yes there are a few on that list who had the tools to play at this level but never developed their skill level enough to be adequate contributors. And there’s a handful on that list like the Gordon’s this year who have improved somewhat but will never be as good as they think they are in their own minds. Mainly because they can’t shoot and likely like most kids aren’t willing to change. And that’s sad because they have improved in other areas of their games but aren’t willing to accept their roles for the sake of the team. It’s not a one size fits all argument. Part of its on the coaching and recruiting, but part of its the nature of the modern day thinking of entitlement of our kids thinking. And that part is not changing and is becoming prevalent in all sports.
These users thanked the author Puffdad for the post (total 3):
Section 12-2stlcatfankswildcat

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » March 20th, 2021, 11:40 am

tmcats wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 11:24 am
it is so easy to use a broad brush suggesting that michael beasley or bill walker's academics represent every student-athlete. when the reality is that's a completely false narrative. here's mike mcguirl, why not use him as the example? good grief, he's far more representative.

2020 Academic All-Big 12 Second Team
2019 Academic All-Big 12 First Team
2018 Academic All-Big 12 Rookie Team
Fall 2017 Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll
Spring 2018 Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll
Fall 2018 Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll
Spring 2019 Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll
Spring 2020 Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll (4.0 GPA)
I hope you didn't interpret my post as painting with a "broad brush" all student-athletes. My post about a "minor leagues" for football and basketball was precisely for kids like Beasley and Walker. They were both uber-talented, but if they and other athletes like them were/are going to college simply for the exposure (and not to go to class or earn a degree), then it makes a mockery of the student-athlete concept.

Of course, this issue is nothing new and has been a running joke among critics of the current system, which unfortunately does paint all student-athletes with that broad brush.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
tmcats
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

wazucat

Post by wazucat » March 20th, 2021, 12:33 pm

EVERYTHING about our program since Bruce Weber's arrival is his responsibility. He owns it, the GOOD and the BAD. Covid and lax transfer rules and other generic excuses just muddy the water, obfuscate his record. He has by his own actions repeatedly blown up his own roster, he needs to go.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » March 20th, 2021, 1:59 pm

wazucat wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 12:33 pm
EVERYTHING about our program since Bruce Weber's arrival is his responsibility. He owns it, the GOOD and the BAD. Covid and lax transfer rules and other generic excuses just muddy the water, obfuscate his record. He has by his own actions repeatedly blown up his own roster, he needs to go.
I don't think we could win even if we had Lebron James.

NealyFan

Post by NealyFan » March 20th, 2021, 2:47 pm

Sir Ocelot wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 11:23 am
I suppose that most coaches that are recruiting ballplayers at this level have to tell them how great they are and how great their opportunities will be with their team to have a chance of recruiting them.

Then, once they get on campus, the coaches have to tell them that they need to improve and work and work just to keep up with other players on their team and on other teams. They may not be the best player on their team anymore. And there are five players per only one basketball.

Most players have a total change of scenery from high school - city, academics, and people.

And it is very easy to transfer now.

I am not surprised that lots of players transfer.
I blame their fat little girlfriends.
These users thanked the author NealyFan for the post:
wazucat
“It’s a tremendous challenge. The opportunity exists here today... for the greatest turnaround in college football history. And it’s not one to be taken lightly.” —- Bill Snyder

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » March 20th, 2021, 3:03 pm

KsJoey wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 9:08 am
Biggest question now is if there is anybody else transferring out, whether Mike is coming back, and if we can get an impact transfer. Sucks to lose DaJuan and guys every year at an excessive rate. There has to be some internal changes made somewhere.
Ah I think the biggest question is how many out of the 2020 class transfer after the 2022 season? Zero doubt in my mind at least 1 transfers and very possibly more (that's assuming everyone in that class is coming back for the 2022 season)
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » March 20th, 2021, 3:07 pm

I can guarantee we won't "get an impact transfer". The transfer portal is new, and new is bad...we do things "the right way". :roll:

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 20th, 2021, 4:36 pm

last four classes.

source: twitter
Why is there something rather than nothing?