Dean Wade tidbits

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Gorhoops

Re: Dean Wade tidbits

Post by Gorhoops » March 25th, 2021, 8:35 am

KsJoey wrote:
March 24th, 2021, 10:09 pm
I'm happy for him. Even though he was very successful at Kstate, it also shows he really should have been utilized better. For him to average 12.9ppg as a senior... he really should have been close to, or over 20. I know injuries had some to do with that. He became a star at KSU, but he's blossoming to his potential now at the Cavs.

I'm not sure, I think there are a lot of factors to the idea of how he was used as KSU and Puff would obviously be the guy to answer as he is watching the games much closer now, but my thought from what I see is his role with the Cavs is as a pure floor spacer. He is such a great shooter and the Cavs have Sexton and Garland who I think they love to try and get those guys into the paint, so Dean is very much a catch and shoot guy off of kickouts from those guys. Puff, please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

At KSU, I think the coaches wanted him to do a lot more than just be a floor spacer, and quite honestly, we didn't really have guys that were great at penetrating and kicking. Barry obviously got better over the years as a driver, but he generally wanted to finish at the rim when he drove. Kam was more of a spot up shooter, as was X, and Carti for the most part, although Carti did drive it now and again. I think the coaches at KSU wanted to use Dean as a passer in a lot of ways because he was such a great passer and they also wanted to use him on the glass if possible.

Again, Puff can correct me, but I think Dean has more of a very specific role with the Cavs whereas at KSU the coaches wanted him to do a lot of different things. It was also pretty clear that Barry was an alpha and dictated a lot of what was going to happen for the other players, including Dean.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » March 25th, 2021, 10:22 am

Yeah, I see Dean as a long range shooter first for the Cavs at this point in his career. That is where he stands out, but I feel his overall skills are also a big part of why he is in there. He does everything well and is just a good team player. Right now he has a well defined role but I look for that role to broaden as he gets more playing time over the next 2 or 3 years. Also listening to his post games interviews he brings a lot of steady positive energy and a great attitude. Puff? :)

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » March 25th, 2021, 6:55 pm

Originally that is what the Cavs wanted for sure is a spot up shooter that’s 6’9” and a rebounder. If you watch a lot of NBA that’s how they all do it. Two guys spot up in the corner behind the 3 point line at all times. I found this just an incredible stat but 70% of Dean’s shots have come from 3 point range. 70%! And 99 of his 153 points have come from the 3 point line. That’s insane to be frank. But they all do it. Every team has to have either 3 or 4 knockdown 3 point shooters on the floor at all times. If you’re not a knockdown shooter you better be an A+ defender or a incredible assist guy. Most of the 5’s anymore are able to stretch the floor as well.

But here recently about 7 or 8 games ago I’ve noticed they have encouraged him to drive it and the results have been great! He’s scoring on his jump stops and quite often getting it to the rim. He’s also starting to really run up his assists as a drive and kick guy. So they are encouraging it more and more. Not all the NBA guys are allowed to put it on the floor but it looks like they’ve figured it out with Dean. He’s also only had 4 turnovers in his last 276 minutes of playing time. That’s incredible. I couldn’t be more thrilled that they have expanded his role and the results are really turning heads. So he’s basically starting to get his shots from everywhere recently. And he’s getting a lot of publicity as a guy whose always in the right spot defensively. Sound familiar? 😂

kswildcat

Post by kswildcat » March 26th, 2021, 10:06 am

Thanks for the insight, Puff. I love watching Dean play and I'm so happy they are expanding his role. He does things the right way and he'll be a great pro!

wazucat

Post by wazucat » March 26th, 2021, 10:45 am

Love to hear he is using his many talents to good effect in the big league .

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » March 30th, 2021, 9:21 pm

These users thanked the author Puffdad for the post (total 2):
Section 12-2spot2180

Section 12-2

Post by Section 12-2 » March 30th, 2021, 10:08 pm

"That country boy sure can play".
Credit lyrics to Chuck Berry

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 31st, 2021, 7:55 pm

Good for DW. I wonder it the KSU fan base will ever forgive him for bailing on two straight NCAA tourneys?

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » March 31st, 2021, 11:57 pm

Hypeman wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 7:55 pm
Good for DW. I wonder it the KSU fan base will ever forgive him for bailing on two straight NCAA tourneys?
Oh I think most of them will forgive him for breaking a bone in his foot.
These users thanked the author Puffdad for the post (total 2):
RichardZSection 12-2

ksuatheart

Post by ksuatheart » April 1st, 2021, 7:07 am

Last game was brutal, but he got to start and play over 30 minutes. But 6 teammates combined to shoot 10 of 44 including their shots inside the arc.