Will basketball be the reason why we wind up in a dork conference

Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
SCKSCat

Re: Will basketball be the reason why we wind up in a dork conference

Post by SCKSCat » August 1st, 2021, 6:34 am

Now days your brand is important if you want to be in a good conference. Your brand is your marketing and cache to get slotted into ESPN games in primetime. Well our brand is awful. What do we have to sell? Our football program has some brand value, but we don't have a very good combo brand that would bring much marketing value to a new conference. Why are we in this position? I put a lot of blame on having bland ADs and Presidents. Weflad would have not stood for this. It is sickening that because of KU's basketball brand that they might wind up in a good conference since they can offer some marketing value to a league. Both teams must have excellent seasons or we are toast and Mountain West or Missouri Valley bound.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » August 1st, 2021, 9:44 am

It is obviously anecdotal, but I follow the Illinois boards closely and most UI fans are derisive about having KU join the B1G. The idea of adding a team with a conference football record of 6-83 is just not as appealing as many KU fans seem to think -- at least not to fans on the UI message board. About the only positive comments are along the lines of, "Hey, let 'em in, they would be one of the few teams we could beat!" :D

Except for actual "basketball leagues", I think most of the decisive factors will be in football and the media market. KSU is pretty good in football (last season was probably an aberration), but the media market is the real problem, not basketball per se. Even if KSU surges up the B1g 12 basketball ranks over the next few seasons, it won't really move the needle on the value of its media market.

Realignment is coming somewhere down the road, and the best hope for teams like KSU may be to develop innovative solutions like offering the media rights via streaming services as part of a major new network. If Amazon wants to break into streaming college sports in a big way, for example, that could be an option for programs with smaller media markets to maximize their earning. Going head-to-head with the major media markets is never going to be a good answer, imo.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » August 1st, 2021, 11:30 am

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
August 1st, 2021, 9:44 am
It is obviously anecdotal, but I follow the Illinois boards closely and most UI fans are derisive about having KU join the B1G. The idea of adding a team with a conference football record of 6-83 is just not as appealing as many KU fans seem to think -- at least not to fans on the UI message board. About the only positive comments are along the lines of, "Hey, let 'em in, they would be one of the few teams we could beat!" :D

Yeah, just the little that I have seen from Big Ten boards, they are not real thrilled with the idea of ever adding KU and ISU. The Big Ten already has a footprint in Iowa and KU football has been abysmal. The conference wants someone who can bring enough value to justify getting north of $50 million per year. Otherwise, they are just another mouth to feed.

rajstat

Post by rajstat » August 2nd, 2021, 10:40 am

Our last two years in basketball has been horrible. Not rebuilding years, worse than that. If I am not wrong, last year was our only year in recent history with a losing record at home. Last year was worse than the previous and ideally, that should not happen. You are supposed to improve during your rebuilding years (and, we were not the only school with covid problems). Yes, we had a wonderful run in the NCAA tourney and got big 12 champion. That should be good but as somebody said, it is all about perception.
These bad seasons came after those winning years and the most recent in memory. Unless we improve dramatically this year, which is possible but the Big 12 is going to be tough, we are in a bad place regarding basketball at the moment.
Hopefully they turn a page this year and proves me wrong. But I don't feel that good about our basketball program right now.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » August 2nd, 2021, 10:53 am

last year is written off due to covid.
"A tour of revenge." Noah Johnson

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » August 2nd, 2021, 11:06 am

Didn’t Baylor win a NC?
These users thanked the author PurpleOnWhite for the post (total 2):
wild@niteSection 12-2

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » August 2nd, 2021, 3:35 pm

rajstat wrote:
August 2nd, 2021, 10:40 am
Our last two years in basketball has been horrible. Not rebuilding years, worse than that. If I am not wrong, last year was our only year in recent history with a losing record at home. Last year was worse than the previous and ideally, that should not happen. You are supposed to improve during your rebuilding years (and, we were not the only school with covid problems). Yes, we had a wonderful run in the NCAA tourney and got big 12 champion. That should be good but as somebody said, it is all about perception.
These bad seasons came after those winning years and the most recent in memory. Unless we improve dramatically this year, which is possible but the Big 12 is going to be tough, we are in a bad place regarding basketball at the moment.
Hopefully they turn a page this year and proves me wrong. But I don't feel that good about our basketball program right now.

I agree with most of what you say here, but I would note a few things. The last two seasons were both terrible beyond any doubt, but I see the first year as the worst because it really should not have happened. That team had enough talent/experience to be at least a .500 team instead of a 21-loss team. I do put blame for that poor showing on the coaches and players. Last year was more of a perfect storm situation. Having a major lack of experience is never a good thing, but it is common in a rebuilding year. What was not common were all the additional problems associated with the pandemic that hit inexperienced teams harder than experienced teams. That is why I think the turnaround in the last six games was so important. It took a lot of losing to get there, but the team appeared to play half decent basketball when the lights finally came on, particularly on defense.

There is no question about the need for a major turnaround this season, and ADGT has said in so many words that Weber understands that. Setting aside the debate about how much improvement KSU fans feel is needed to meet their expectations, to the outside world even a season like the first season for the Brown/Wade/Stokes crew would be a major step forward (though 5 conference wins is not enough for me, fwiw). Keep in mind that seven of the KSU players, including some key players, still have four years of eligibility going into this season -- one of the few benefits of the pandemic I guess.

rajstat

Post by rajstat » August 2nd, 2021, 4:44 pm

IStillLikeHarv, let's hope for the best. I agree, we did show much improvement during the last 6 games! Hopefully, a much better season!
These users thanked the author rajstat for the post:
IStillLikeHarv

wazucat

Post by wazucat » August 3rd, 2021, 2:51 pm

Basketball is not relevant when comparing programs, football drives this train and basketball is a rounding error , chump change, and the Squawks thinking their admittedly top level BB program is a stairway to Heaven is just typical Squawk arrogance and ignorance.

rajstat

Post by rajstat » August 3rd, 2021, 4:25 pm

In my professional life, I have often seen people will say certain things does not matter for promotion. This translates to: "it does not matter if you are really good or exceptional or just good, but if you are bad in it: this will go against you."