Officer Tatum's take on the football players boycotting.

The defending Big XII Champions
learnin

Re: Officer Tatum's take on the football players boycotting.

Post by learnin » July 15th, 2020, 9:48 am

stlcatfan wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 12:27 pm
NealyFan wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 11:34 am

When baseball was integrated, people said the same thing. Why do uppity minorities have to ruin a good thing? People were pissed that Hank Aaron passed Babe Ruth. He received death threats.

If seeing black men kneel or players speaking out against white supremacy triggers you, you should probably find another source of entertainment. Maybe corn hole or professional bowling would be more your speed.
With all due respect, you are comparing apples and oranges. Jackie Robinson and Hank Aaron didn't (to my knowledge) refuse to stand for the National Anthem because they thought it represented a country that was racist and oppressed black people. Of course, keep in mind that when Kaepernick and other "oppressed" millionaire football players were taking the knee, we had a Black president, a Black U.S. Attorney General, Black mayors of large cities, Black DA's, Black police chiefs, etc.

Those two never (to my knowledge) gave public support to a Marxist organization that was openly anti-American, anti-Western, anti-police, anti-family, and pro-LGBT, pro-abortion rights, and whose members made openly racist comments about white people.

By the way, you STILL have not told me what, in particular, you disagreed with in the Officer Tatum video. What did he say that you don't agree with?
If Hank Aaron never knelt at the Star Spangled Banner, or supported a "Marxist" organization, why did he receive death threats for breaking Ruth's record?

If Hank Aaron was playing today, I'm sure he would be right there supporting BLM, etc.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » July 15th, 2020, 10:38 am

you don't know that, learnin'. you're making a wild assertion. superstar hank may have been more like tiger woods than lebron james in his approach to race issues. throwing a philosophical blanket over people based solely on their skin color is as systemic racist as it gets, my friend.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » July 15th, 2020, 10:58 am

learnin wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 9:48 am
stlcatfan wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 12:27 pm

With all due respect, you are comparing apples and oranges. Jackie Robinson and Hank Aaron didn't (to my knowledge) refuse to stand for the National Anthem because they thought it represented a country that was racist and oppressed black people. Of course, keep in mind that when Kaepernick and other "oppressed" millionaire football players were taking the knee, we had a Black president, a Black U.S. Attorney General, Black mayors of large cities, Black DA's, Black police chiefs, etc.

Those two never (to my knowledge) gave public support to a Marxist organization that was openly anti-American, anti-Western, anti-police, anti-family, and pro-LGBT, pro-abortion rights, and whose members made openly racist comments about white people.

By the way, you STILL have not told me what, in particular, you disagreed with in the Officer Tatum video. What did he say that you don't agree with?
If Hank Aaron never knelt at the Star Spangled Banner, or supported a "Marxist" organization, why did he receive death threats for breaking Ruth's record?

If Hank Aaron was playing today, I'm sure he would be right there supporting BLM, etc.
I was just a kid when Hank Aaron passed up Babe Ruth, by hitting #715, but I do remember the mostly white crowd cheering wildly for Aaron as he rounded the bases. The white players on the opposing team congratulated him as he passed by. A couple of white people even ran out on the field to congratulate him while he was rounding third base. The white announcer was very excited making the call and his mostly white teammates mobbed him at home plate.

That is what sports should be about - cheering for your team and watching for the love of the game. Now college and professional sports is more about money (i.e., greed) and politics, which is why millions of sports fans are rapidly losing interest, myself included.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

MGPcat

Post by MGPcat » July 15th, 2020, 11:22 am

PurpleOnWhite wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 9:36 am
MGPcat wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 4:33 pm

Did I say he couldn’t? Nope, don’t believe I did!
Oh! Really? When you find every way possible to diminish and marginalize the man and his message, I would say my description was spot on. Who you, MGP?
No, I'm pointing out that he is using his platform to deny that platform to others.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » July 15th, 2020, 11:29 am

MGPcat wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 11:22 am
PurpleOnWhite wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 9:36 am

Oh! Really? When you find every way possible to diminish and marginalize the man and his message, I would say my description was spot on. Who you, MGP?
No, I'm pointing out that he is using his platform to deny that platform to others.
Both he and the athletes have a right to freely express their views. If you don't agree with Officer Tatum, you don't have to watch his videos. If you don't agree with the players holding the football program hostage and the university supporting BLM, you don't have to watch their games or give money to the university.

learnin

Post by learnin » July 15th, 2020, 12:12 pm

tmcats wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 10:38 am
you don't know that, learnin'. you're making a wild assertion. superstar hank may have been more like tiger woods than lebron james in his approach to race issues. throwing a philosophical blanket over people based solely on their skin color is as systemic racist as it gets, my friend.
I suggest you go on line and read Mr Aaron’s remarks about the racism. He has been pretty vocal about it and minces no words about how he feels. My remark is based upon the many remarks Henry has made in his later years concerning the subject especially when he says that it’s no different now, “they just wear suits and ties”.

My remark is based on his remarks and not the color of his skin.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » July 15th, 2020, 1:03 pm

whatever your basis, unless hank said it, it's best left unsaid by others.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

MGPcat

Post by MGPcat » July 15th, 2020, 2:56 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 11:29 am
MGPcat wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 11:22 am

Both he and the athletes have a right to freely express their views. If you don't agree with Officer Tatum, you don't have to watch his videos. If you don't agree with the players holding the football program hostage and the university supporting BLM, you don't have to watch their games or give money to the university.
You're right. And I have the right to freely express my views as well, and if someone is going to post this video, then that opens it up to criticism.

MGPcat

Post by MGPcat » July 15th, 2020, 3:03 pm

learnin wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 12:12 pm
tmcats wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 10:38 am
I suggest you go on line and read Mr Aaron’s remarks about the racism. He has been pretty vocal about it and minces no words about how he feels. My remark is based upon the many remarks Henry has made in his later years concerning the subject especially when he says that it’s no different now, “they just wear suits and ties”.

My remark is based on his remarks and not the color of his skin.
I took the history of baseball class from Crocodile Bob, I believe his name was, at K-State. Much harder class than one would expect, mainly because of how specific the test questions were (I remember on the final- who was Cy Young's batterymate?) We read "I Had a Hammer" by Hank Aaron, and one thing I remember from that book as the threats he received during the run up to the record. When those guys ran out on the field to congratulate him, he didn't know if they were going to congratulate him or stab him.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » July 15th, 2020, 3:27 pm

MGPcat wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 2:56 pm
stlcatfan wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 11:29 am

You're right. And I have the right to freely express my views as well, and if someone is going to post this video, then that opens it up to criticism.
Agreed. Just like when you or I say something here or on another platform, that opens us up to criticism, as well. Officer Tatum criticized the Black football players at K-State for overreacting to a student's tweet, but he was not denying their right to have a platform.