FB Players speaking out against KSU Student

For the most part, this board's a free for all. Don't say I didn't warn you...
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: FB Players speaking out against KSU Student

Post by tmcats » June 29th, 2020, 4:03 pm

1863 makes cogent arguments and he makes them well. however, there are few fans that agree with his takes, including me. i'd guess that i represent a majority. but there's no way of knowing. most of us simply want this to end amicably.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

WIldWIllieCat

Post by WIldWIllieCat » June 29th, 2020, 4:10 pm

the name-calling in your previous post suggests otherwise
"The peculiar office of a demagogue is to advance his own interests, by affecting a deep devotion to the interests of the people. .”

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » June 29th, 2020, 4:14 pm

nancy is a name.

WIldWIllieCat

Post by WIldWIllieCat » June 29th, 2020, 4:21 pm

tmcats wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 2:21 pm
whinny nancys who have taken their ball and gone home because their feelings were hurt
probably the response you should've gotten from the ticket office :lol:
"The peculiar office of a demagogue is to advance his own interests, by affecting a deep devotion to the interests of the people. .”

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » June 29th, 2020, 4:27 pm

the ticket office got their response right. the pocketbook speaks loudest. by the way, nice take of a quote out of context.

WIldWIllieCat

Post by WIldWIllieCat » June 29th, 2020, 4:42 pm

whose "hurt feelings" entitle them to threatening the university's pocketbook exactly?

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » June 29th, 2020, 4:48 pm

kstatefan1863 wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 3:42 pm
PurpleOnWhite wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 3:24 pm

What do you expect BW and CK^2 to say? Where have they been until now? Pretty convenient to jump on the wagon when you have a $2 million salary at stake.

I’m sure there are changes that need to be made. But to this long time supporter, the threats to walk if various demands (Some unconstitutional) aren’t met crossed a line that will cause damage to the university. This is divisive even with your red lipstick.
I think the support all of our coaches, as well as the administration, is genuine. I haven't seen anything that would make me think otherwise. These are all coaches that seem to love their athletes like they're family, so I'm sure they're tired of them being discriminated against. While at first some of the athletes were trying to get the kid kicked out for what he said, they walked that back after they met with the coaches, student groups, and administrators. So they're not trying to create anything that is unconstitutional. They are asking the University to look at their policy on discrimination and harassment, because that is grounds for being dismissed. I would like to think that everyone would be able to support that. In the end, I don't think this will damage the university. Everything I've seen in the steps that have been taken has made me proud of my alma mater. The only damage has been is from the kid that made that awful tweet about George Floyd, but I think most people realize he doesn't represent most K-Stater's values.
The main problem I have with it is going to social media and dragging thousands, who represent, attended, or support KState through the mud. I was and still am middle class. I worked my way through college, paid off thousands in school loans, and never treated one single black person or athlete badly. Im like many, many other KState alum in this regard.

I was friends in college with a black sprinter who grew up rich, got treated like royalty by the athletic dept and he was very racist towards whites who were not in his circle. Not hateful, but did not trust or like them. Again, this kid grew up in a very wealthy area in Texas and had far more privileges than I, but I didn't hold that against him. There is a definite chip on the shoulders towards all whites by some of these black athletes. Sorry folks, but that is racism. Not to the degree of Jaden, but its still a form of racism. Dont give me "well we treated them badly for years, etc...." No. I, and many others never did. Me and thousands of other whites have never held anyone back.

On top of that, when going out with some of my roommates, who were football players (some black and some white), they would often get recognized and get free drinks or meals, meanwhile I paid. They never complained about that and I know for fact that still happens. I watched DJ Johnson get free drinks at an Aggieville bar one night from a white bartender. Black athletes at KState are not mistreated. Just the opposite mostly, unless you point to individual morons like Jaden.

I do believe there is still a lot of "good ol boy" white racism still alive and well, and I know this is what they're trying to fix, but again, they're approach, in the future, needs to change, just as hopefully racist whites attitudes change.

Airing dirty laundry on social media is not the way to fix this issue for anyone. It's done now, but this is THE thing I hope everyone learns from this. When you encounter racism, if its demands you feel you must make, do it privately, otherwise many people who aren't involved are adversely effected.
Last edited by wild@nite on June 29th, 2020, 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Opensource

Post by Opensource » June 29th, 2020, 5:03 pm

K-State athletes are coming together with the support of coaches and administration to take on the racist actions. The only people upset are people who must not like that outcome. They, logically must be fine with existing structural racism and want to live in their fantasy world of equality for all.

kstatefan1863

Post by kstatefan1863 » June 29th, 2020, 5:17 pm

wild@nite, I know a lot of people that would agree with you about the social media being the main issue. Sometimes I even find myself getting irritated with it. At the same time though, that is how these kids were able to accomplish getting the coaches and administration to work on this with them so quickly. I love that they are doing it now, but sadly, I fear that if they had gone the private route, it wouldn't have had the same urgency. Did you hear about what Christiana Carr was sent via social media? If not, please look it up so you can understand how some people responded to her.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the sprinter. Nobody should feel like they're being discriminated against. I would like to share though that just because someone that had more privileges than you did growing up, doesn't mean they didn't have to deal with racism and have hurdles (no pun intended) that white kids didn't. I grew up in KCMO, but I had friends in very well off areas of Johnson County as well, and some of them were black. They had nicer clothes and cars than I did, and they were super smart and got good grades, but they were still treated differently than many of the white kids they grew up with. This might be why some people carry a chip on their shoulder, and perhaps are weary of trusting white people. It's sometimes difficult to see someone that comes from money and think of them as being mistreated, but it does happen. I'm not saying that was the case with your friend, but I wanted to point that out, because it's something I noticed when I was growing up.

As you mentioned, it's out there on social media now, and there isn't anything we can do about it. Whether it was right or wrong for them to go about it that way will probably always be a topic of discussion, but perhaps the change that is taking place will make it to where we can avoid groups of our students feeling like they need to take these measures. I certainly hope so.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » June 29th, 2020, 5:38 pm

Opensource wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 5:03 pm
K-State athletes are coming together with the support of coaches and administration to take on the racist actions. The only people upset are people who must not like that outcome. They, logically must be fine with existing structural racism and want to live in their fantasy world of equality for all.
With all due respect, your post is classic demagoguery. In truth, what a lot of people are upset about is how the athletes responded to the kid's insensitive joke about George Floyd. It could have and should have been handled much better. By saying publicly they will not play for K-State until a list of demands are met (including expelling McNeil) was not well thought out and ended up making themselves look bad in the process (not to mention, putting the entire university in a bad light).

The administration likely can't kick this kid out of school without risking a lawsuit because his First Amendment rights would be violated. So now what are the athletes going to do? They will either have to find a face-saving way of giving up their demands or transfer to another school. The best thing they could have done is ignore the dumb tweet.