mu fans continue to debate their departure ...

The defending Big XII Champions
wazucat

Re: mu fans continue to debate their departure ...

Post by wazucat » March 25th, 2020, 9:49 am

tmcats wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 10:33 am
i never blamed missouri for leaving. ku would have left too if the b10 had offered.

i thought louisville would have been a far better choice than wvu or tcu for that matter. tcu probably got in because of texas politics, i.e. wanting to fix the internal state issues associated with the frogs getting booted in favor of baylor in the original b12.

i do agree that both louisville and to a lesser degree cincinnati would have been stronger members. wvu is just too far away and the conference already dominates texas as stated above.
Well duh :wink:

wazucat

Post by wazucat » March 25th, 2020, 9:55 am

20 20 hind sight WVU brings nothing of value to the Big 12. MU should have stayed once the Big 10 snubbed their noses. SEC East, the jokes on you Tigers. TCU was a horrible choice and that is not 20 20 hind sight, it was plain to see from day 1.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » March 25th, 2020, 12:46 pm

Since 2012:

Missouri
BB - 2 NCAA appearances
FB - 4 Bowl Games (Cotton, Citrus, Texas, Liberty)

Texas A&M
BB - 1 NCAA apperance
FB - 8 Bowl Games (Cotton, Chick-fil-A, Liberty, Music City, Texas, Belk, Gator, Texas)

Nebraska
BB - 1 NCAA appearance
FB - 6 Bowl Games (2x Capital One, Gator, Holiday, Foster Farms, Music City)

Colorado
BB - 4 NCAA appearances
FB - 1 Bowl Game (Alamo)

West Virginia
BB - 5 NCAA appearances, 3 Sweet 16
FB - 6 Bowl Games (Pinstripe, Liberty, Cactus, Russell Athletic, Heart of Dallas, Camping World)

TCU
BB - 1 NCAA appearance
FB - 6 Bowl Games (Buffalo Wild Wings, Peach, 2x Alamo, Liberty, Cheez-It)

If you had to pick 2 out of that, I would think WVU would be one of them and Colorado would be one of the ones you don't pick. The rest are debatable.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » March 25th, 2020, 9:51 pm

Hypeman wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 5:58 am
MU probably made a good choice from a financial and risk management perspective. I always thought of MU as St. Louis’ school and KU as KC’s school. I always feel like St. Louis has a bit of a southern vibe too, so maybe that’s where they belong.

I don’t know if the Big 12 made bad choices in WVU and TCU. It probably doesn’t matter or make any difference. And it depends which perspective you are looking from. From UT’s perspective, we’re all bad choices and 2nd rate, and some of us are even 3rd class.
Mo is very interesting. Of course, with the success of NWMSU, they have a really large following in the NW part. Truth be told there are tons of Nub fans in NW Mo. Going south MU support picks up but along the border with IA there are many Hawkeye fans too. KC is pretty much split, I'd guess favoring the 2020 Lawrence Journal World National Men's Basketball Champions. My guess central Mo is strongly black and gold. Springfield area used to be big Hog country till Mo State took their step up. Also plenty of OU/Cowboy fans in that corner as well. My guess is that the Bootheel is $EC country, at least southern. St Louis is wannabe Chicago and Notre Dame has a huge presence in the large Catholic population there. Leftovers are tig fans.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 25th, 2020, 10:42 pm

There is certainly a lot more diversity in MO, and a few more D1 teams to cheer for from MU, MSU, SEMO, SLU and of course there are way more D1 teams in IL that a lot of people in St. Louis may have attended. The state also seems a little less college sports crazy than Kansas, but of course they have the pro sports

Question ... What’s NWMSU?

NealyFan

Post by NealyFan » March 26th, 2020, 9:29 am

Hypeman wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 10:42 pm
There is certainly a lot more diversity in MO, and a few more D1 teams to cheer for from MU, MSU, SEMO, SLU and of course there are way more D1 teams in IL that a lot of people in St. Louis may have attended. The state also seems a little less college sports crazy than Kansas, but of course they have the pro sports

Question ... What’s NWMSU?
Isn’t it called Truman St now? Formerly Northwest Missouri State
“It’s a tremendous challenge. The opportunity exists here today... for the greatest turnaround in college football history. And it’s not one to be taken lightly.” —- Bill Snyder

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » March 26th, 2020, 9:42 am

It is indeed Truman State.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 26th, 2020, 9:51 am

I know Truman State well, great school for undergraduate programs. But why would they garner a lot of sports fans?

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 26th, 2020, 9:58 am

Nevermind. I just did at little Internet research. Looks like NWMSU had a good D2 b-ball team last year.

NWMSU is “not” Truman State. The Truman State I know is one of the better academic schools in the mid-west. It looks like NWMSU is definitely not that. I don’t know about Truman’s sports team but it looks like they are D2. I don’t know that D2 sports teams get huge followings outside their local community.

When you mentioned NWMSU, I originally thought that was a reference to the Waterboy. LoL.

kswrangler52

Post by kswrangler52 » March 26th, 2020, 11:05 am

Truman used to be Ne Mo State. They were in the MIAA with Washburn ESU and Pitt. Never much in FB but did pretty well in BB.