Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
Gorhoops
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 247 times

Re: Scottie Hazleton is leaving

Post by Gorhoops » March 10th, 2020, 2:20 pm

wild@nite wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 12:16 pm
You guys call it job hopping, I call it being a good coach and wanting to better yourself and your family. Until he reaches a dream position, he will hop because he's good and there will be a demand. People seek him out, offer him far more $, and you expect him to stay? C'mon guys.... Bill Snyder was rare. He will be a HC, if he wants to in 3-4 years, if not sooner. Good for him.

Yes and no. Obviously looking to improve your lot is a part of life, but it also can bring a reputation as a job hopper, which is what Hazelton has since he has moved so much. That is fine, but it can also potentially be a negative as he looks to be a head coach. Will an AD be comfortable hiring a guy that has had 7 jobs in 10 years or whatever it is? Some will, but some won't. It is one thing to job hop as a DC, people can recover pretty smoothly if a guy leaves after a year or two as the DC. But as a head coach, even though an AD might not expect someone to stay forever like Coach Snyder, they also might not like the idea of a guy bolting at the very first opportunity that opens up if it is more money or whatever.

Bill Snyder is rare, but a guy that has had 7 jobs in 10 years can be classified as a job hopper and it is a legitimate stigma.

AJcat7755
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 272 times

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » March 10th, 2020, 2:31 pm

IMO, it all depends on why they change jobs and how long they stay at each job.

For example, if they leave a job because their HC was fired, and maybe the new HC didn't retain them, or they were demoted, then I don't think that is a hit to their career. (ex. Blake Seiler)

Or if they are at a job for 3 or more years, then it's more acceptable that they move. (My company doesn't even let you move internally till you have been in a position for 2 years).

Or if they are "forced out" without actually being fired, and have to take a lateral or lower position to save face.

Or if their alma mater, hometown, or a family matter requires them to make a move. (ex. Bob Huggins)

I took a job out of college, and 6 months later, I was offered a 55% raise so I put in my 2 weeks that day so I'm never going to blame someone for taking a pay raise. It just comes down to how frequently you make those jumps.

With his clause built in, I would not be surprised to see Hazelton jump to a HC, in the NFL or college, in 3-5 years.

powercat5000
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by powercat5000 » March 10th, 2020, 6:36 pm

Sorry, but if I was offered to double my salary at another location and my current job wouldn’t come even close to matching that amount.... I’d be gone. With Hazelton I can understand why he left and I can understand why ad gene Taylor didn’t try to match- especially if Hazelton wasn't a recruiter, and one year at ksu isn’t enough to prove he’d be good year in and year out
These users liked powercat5000 for the post (total 2):
NealyFan (March 10th, 2020, 8:29 pm) • tmcats (March 11th, 2020, 10:20 am)

wild@nite
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 540 times

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » March 11th, 2020, 2:36 am

Gorhoops wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 2:20 pm
wild@nite wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 12:16 pm
You guys call it job hopping, I call it being a good coach and wanting to better yourself and your family. Until he reaches a dream position, he will hop because he's good and there will be a demand. People seek him out, offer him far more $, and you expect him to stay? C'mon guys.... Bill Snyder was rare. He will be a HC, if he wants to in 3-4 years, if not sooner. Good for him.

Yes and no. Obviously looking to improve your lot is a part of life, but it also can bring a reputation as a job hopper, which is what Hazelton has since he has moved so much. That is fine, but it can also potentially be a negative as he looks to be a head coach. Will an AD be comfortable hiring a guy that has had 7 jobs in 10 years or whatever it is? Some will, but some won't. It is one thing to job hop as a DC, people can recover pretty smoothly if a guy leaves after a year or two as the DC. But as a head coach, even though an AD might not expect someone to stay forever like Coach Snyder, they also might not like the idea of a guy bolting at the very first opportunity that opens up if it is more money or whatever.

Bill Snyder is rare, but a guy that has had 7 jobs in 10 years can be classified as a job hopper and it is a legitimate stigma.
In the coaching profession, as long as you are moving up and getting sought after for good performance, it isn't looked at as job hopping.