Scottie Hazleton is leaving

Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
Tbonespop
Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 391 times

Re: Scottie Hazleton is leaving

Post by Tbonespop » February 27th, 2020, 10:30 pm

I'm bummed to see Haz go, but I knew it would happen next year if it didn't happen this year. He's a job hopper. Great coach, but job hopper. I wish him well.

Folks need to settle down though with respect to how big of a loss this is. Remember, Klieman is a defensive coach, first and foremost like Snyder was with offense. Klieman is the man behind our defense and the DC runs it on game day. CK will find somebody good. I don't worry about the defense. I worry about the offense. My $0.02
These users liked Tbonespop for the post (total 3):
stlcatfan (February 27th, 2020, 11:00 pm) • epicsnyder (February 28th, 2020, 7:00 am) • learnin (February 29th, 2020, 7:33 pm)

Hypeman
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Hypeman » February 27th, 2020, 11:59 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 5:55 pm
AJcat7755 wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 5:35 pm

It's not about believing KSU can or can't be great, it's understanding reality of how things work. If the $1 million a year for Scottie is accurate, that's the 20th highest paid assistant in the nation. KSU can not afford that, it's a simple as that. KSU is not Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Texas, etc.
I agree. $1 million a year for an assistant college football coach is just crazy money. In another thread on this board we are discussing the financial strain on the academic side of K-State. We can't afford to fully fund academics yet some here think we were foolish not to match Michigan State's offer. If Hazelton doesn't feel $550,000 a year to coach the defense is enough money then so be it. He's a good coach and we will miss him, but doubling his already huge salary to keep him here for another two years is not worth it, IMO. Best of luck to him at his new school.
Amen

wild@nite
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 539 times

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 28th, 2020, 2:10 am

Tbonespop wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 10:30 pm
I'm bummed to see Haz go, but I knew it would happen next year if it didn't happen this year. He's a job hopper. Great coach, but job hopper. I wish him well.

Folks need to settle down though with respect to how big of a loss this is. Remember, Klieman is a defensive coach, first and foremost like Snyder was with offense. Klieman is the man behind our defense and the DC runs it on game day. CK will find somebody good. I don't worry about the defense. I worry about the offense. My $0.02
Most great coaches are job hoppers until they reach their personal goals. It's called "bettering yourself" financially. Most of us would do the same in our own professions if people came calling with $'s.

csteel25
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by csteel25 » February 28th, 2020, 8:26 am

wild@nite wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 2:10 am
Tbonespop wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 10:30 pm

Most great coaches are job hoppers until they reach their personal goals. It's called "bettering yourself" financially. Most of us would do the same in our own professions if people came calling with $'s.
Good thing we never hired that job hopping Nick Saban and paid him what he was worth. Could not have afforded the trophy case.

tmcats
Has liked: 1141 times
Been liked: 784 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 28th, 2020, 10:08 am

wild@nite wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 8:48 pm
s
powercat5000 wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 8:14 pm
KSU athletics budget is pushing $85 Million - i don't want to hear anything about not being able to afford a coach in the main moneymaker sport.
Total budget doesn't mean surplus. Michigan States is $130 million. Your point is?
actually, k-state revenue and support last reporting cycle totaled a tad over $101 million. the department operated with a $14 million surplus. it's been financially healthy since john currie took the reigns.

we have no clue why haz wasn't retained. i suspect there were a number of variables beyond salary.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

AJcat7755
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 272 times

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 28th, 2020, 10:16 am

Seen varying reports that Scottie is being watched and/or has interest in the NFL. If true, no matter of money is going to keep him at a school when college football is not his end goal.

Gorhoops
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 247 times

Post by Gorhoops » February 28th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Hate to see Coach Haze go, I enjoyed his interviews as he seemed like a pretty cool guy. But, moving along, have to trust Coach Kleiman to fill the spot with another great coach. I don't think he needs to be in a huge hurry, as has been mentioned, I think the defense is Coach Kleiman's and he can run the show in spring ball I would think. From listening to Goolsby speak on Klanderman, I would be okay with him and Coach Malone also has DC experience, so either would probably do a good job.

But I really don't think we will see a huge change in the style and philosophy of the defense. I think we will see a very similar style to last season, no matter who the DC is. Hopefully the new guy can continue the need to improve tackling.
These users liked Gorhoops for the post:
stlcatfan (February 28th, 2020, 5:04 pm)

tmcats
Has liked: 1141 times
Been liked: 784 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 28th, 2020, 12:28 pm

speaking of style, wasn't it refreshing to see our corners in a press rather than bend-don't-break scheme? and i don't recall any less effective pass defense, in fact, i'm confident it was better than under snyder's system.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

Opensource
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by Opensource » February 28th, 2020, 3:21 pm

The reality is if you pay Haze a million then you have to up the Head Coaches salary and everyone elses. It is more likely that people get upset and leave if things are out of balance Tucker is making more than 5 million a year and his contract give him a 6 million dollar assistant coach salary pool. For example, Michigan State football paying new OL coach/run game guru Chris Kapilovic $700,000 a year.

Hypeman
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Hypeman » February 28th, 2020, 4:43 pm

Opensource wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 3:21 pm
The reality is if you pay Haze a million then you have to up the Head Coaches salary and everyone elses. It is more likely that people get upset and leave if things are out of balance Tucker is making more than 5 million a year and his contract give him a 6 million dollar assistant coach salary pool. For example, Michigan State football paying new OL coach/run game guru Chris Kapilovic $700,000 a year.
$700k to coach some blockers. Isn’t that double the salary of the President of the United States? That makes you want to puke.