Post by bhoovy » February 27th, 2020, 2:15 pm

KsJoey wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 1:53 pm
Couldn't they just take Messingham instead??? :banghead: :x
My thoughts exactly.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » February 27th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Knowing nothing about them, but just looking at the D1 rankings for overall defense last year, San Diego St, Buffalo and UAB were all in the top 10. Maybe one of them has a guy we’d be interested in?

I bet AJ could tell us about each one and whether they would be a legit candidate if KSU were to inquire.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » February 27th, 2020, 2:22 pm

csteel25 wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 1:55 pm
According to the article I read, we were unwilling to match what they offered. And that there folks, is why K-State is never great. We don't do what it takes.
Curious how far off they were.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 27th, 2020, 2:22 pm

csteel25 wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 1:55 pm
According to the article I read, we were unwilling to match what they offered. And that there folks, is why K-State is never great. We don't do what it takes.
Hazelton was getting paid $550k from KSU and was already the highest paid assistant. Prior to KSU, he left Wyoming where he was paid $400k and was the highest paid assistant there. Michigan State's last DC was getting $725k so I assume he will get $700k+ at MSU. That's at least a 36% pay increase. My bet is he is the highest paid MSU assistant at more then that.

KSU could have been able to match that, but there may have been a side effect if they did. At $700k+, that's $200k+ more then the next coordinator. So would it have caused a snowball effect that other assistants need a raise as well? Not that anyone would mind losing Messingham if he demanded a pay increase, but then the next OC would want close to the DC as well so pay wise it may not have mattered. If that happened, your looking at $1 million in overall increases across the board because you paid 1 assistant more.

Keep in mind, Hazelton wasn't CK's first choice. Ted Monachino was briefly hired before accepting a job with the Chicago Bears. So far, CK has selected 2 DC that have been able to advance their career to higher paying jobs, so hopefully he is successful in finding another good DC.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 27th, 2020, 2:28 pm

This is not good folks. Not the end of the world, but not good. Scottie was good at his job and I believe he would have made us into a top 20 defense in 2-3 years.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 27th, 2020, 2:53 pm

bhoovy wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 2:20 pm
Knowing nothing about them, but just looking at the D1 rankings for overall defense last year, San Diego St, Buffalo and UAB were all in the top 10. Maybe one of them has a guy we’d be interested in?

I bet AJ could tell us about each one and whether they would be a legit candidate if KSU were to inquire.
SDSU:
Kurt Mattix is their DC/LB coach, but this is going to be his first year on the job as SDSU hired Brady Hoke back. So anything they did the year prior wouldn't be from Mattix. It's also his first year ever as a DC at the FBS level. Zach Arnett was their DC last year, and he is now the DC/LB at Mississippi State

Buffalo:
Brian Borland is their DC/CB coach. Since he doesn't coach the LB, and never has, probably not the best fit. And he is older. He has been coaching since 1994 and is already in the Wisconsin Football Coaches Association HOF.

UAB:
David Reeves is their DC/LB coach. Was a semifinalist for the 2018 Broyles award, which is given to the nations top assistant. Went to college at Athens State (Alabama), coached at in various capacities at UT Martin, Alabama, Jacksonville State and now UAB. Outside of UT Martin, it's all been in Alabama. Makes me think he is destined to stay in SEC country. Look at past Broyles award semi-finalists. The majority of them have risen in the ranks pretty quickly getting into top P5 assistant jobs, or several into HC jobs.
Last edited by AJcat7755 on February 27th, 2020, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 27th, 2020, 3:09 pm

csteel25 wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 2:59 pm
AJcat7755 wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 2:22 pm

Hazelton was getting paid $550k from KSU and was already the highest paid assistant. Prior to KSU, he left Wyoming where he was paid $400k and was the highest paid assistant there. Michigan State's last DC was getting $725k so I assume he will get $700k+ at MSU. That's at least a 36% pay increase. My bet is he is the highest paid MSU assistant at more then that.

KSU could have been able to match that, but there may have been a side effect if they did. At $700k+, that's $200k+ more then the next coordinator. So would it have caused a snowball effect that other assistants need a raise as well? Not that anyone would mind losing Messingham if he demanded a pay increase, but then the next OC would want close to the DC as well so pay wise it may not have mattered. If that happened, your looking at $1 million in overall increases across the board because you paid 1 assistant more.

Keep in mind, Hazelton wasn't CK's first choice. Ted Monachino was briefly hired before accepting a job with the Chicago Bears. So far, CK has selected 2 DC that have been able to advance their career to higher paying jobs, so hopefully he is successful in finding another good DC.
Defense went from 49th ranked to 25th in one year. Pay the guy what it takes. Patheic K-State. Just pathetic.

The revenue will show up. And who cares about the snowball effect if you are winning? A million bucks in revenue can show up rather quickly via donations, a packed stadium, licensed products.

Go ask any Alabama fan about the metrics that occured as they kept paying Saban. It's been a hilariously huge ROI.

Penny wise and pound foolish. This is the opposite side of the same coin as the Ron Prince debacle. We WILL lose our HC next year if we do stupid crap like this.
And then when the defense improves again and another school comes offering $900k, what does KSU do? Hazleton was never going to be at KSU long term, although most hoped it would be 3 years.

KSU could win the NC and never make as much money as Alabama. Trying to compare the 2 is irrelevant. KSU will never win a bidding war with other teams for coaches. It sucks, but KSU is not a final destination for coaches. And one like Scottie that has in the past, and is going to be searching for the next job, is impossible to keep long term. As I said, he could easily be a HC in 3-5 years at MSU if he continues to be successful. KSU increasing the salary of all coaches to just try and keep Scottie another year or 2 isn't a great long term strategy. Eventually he leaves, and now your left with the past precedent of paying your DC that much money.

You also have a HC, with a history of being on the defensive side of the ball, so that could help a bit in the transition to a new DC.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » February 27th, 2020, 3:22 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 2:53 pm
bhoovy wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 2:20 pm

SDSU:
Kurt Mattix is their DC/LB coach, but this is going to be his first year on the job as SDSU hired Brady Hoke back. So anything they did the year prior wouldn't be from Mattix. It's also his first year ever as a DC at the FBS level. Zach Arnett was their DC last year, and he is now the DC/LB at Mississippi State

Buffalo:
Brian Borland is their DC/CB coach. Since he doesn't coach the LB, and never has, probably not the best fit. And he is older. He has been coaching since 1994 and is already in the Wisconsin Football Coaches Association HOF.

UAB:
David Reeves is their DC/LB coach. Was a semifinalist for the 2018 Broyles award, which is given to the nations top assistant. Went to college at Athens State (Alabama), coached at in various capacities at UT Martin, Alabama, Jacksonville State and now UAB. Outside of UT Martin, it's all been in Alabama. Makes me think he is destined to stay in SEC country. Look at past Broyles award semi-finalists. The majority of them have risen in the ranks pretty quickly getting into top P5 assistant jobs, or several into HC jobs.
So then David Reeves it is. :thumbsup:

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » February 27th, 2020, 3:44 pm

We may should be concerned as to what this portends for Klieman’s inevitable pay raise. Are we going to pay him a salary that will keep him here?

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » February 27th, 2020, 4:04 pm

I'm hearing his new salary will be over 1 mil.