Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
ksume2000
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Facilities

Post by ksume2000 » February 26th, 2020, 9:02 am

tmcats wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 5:54 pm
i always thought two-year degrees would be a good idea like for agronomy, bookkeeping, teaching, and the like. probably doesn't work for engineering and physics. but my gosh, some of these disciplines do not need four years of college.
The number of credit hours needed for a satisfactory engineering education could be achieved in 2.5 years if you work hard. The problem is the linearity of the prerequisites. Starting with Calc1, Calc2, Calc3, DiffEQ all being needed for the upper level classes. Similarly with basic physics/chemistry 1 and 2 needing to be out of the way before the real work starts. AP high school courses could help with timing, if your HS offered them and you had a clear plan that early in life.

Interestingly, written communication for engineers was one of my favorite courses. It basically undid 12 years of creative writing. Say what you need to say. Make sure it is clear and concise. Done. What a relief for someone who struggled all through HS trying to flesh out 2 pages of information into 10 pages of fluff.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 26th, 2020, 11:03 am

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 4:55 pm
Society used to value a college graduate with a "well-rounded education" -- meaning exposure to the fine arts, literature, music, etc. It was a good idea then, but not today. Today society values a "well-rounded technocrat" with skills in critical thinking, computers, STEM classes, and leadership. Anything else is fluff in today's world.

So, perhaps the answer is for KSU to eliminate or minimize the "fluff" and maximize the "meat" of a career choice (for those students fast-tracking a narrow career choice), but still offer all the liberal arts training for those students wishing to go down that path.

I'm guessing a "narrow" career path could be achieved with 80-90 credit hours.
Precisely. The world is different, but college is still clinging to the "well rounded" theory that is just flat unnecessary and a waste of 2 years. KSU needs to merge with a Tech school to capture some of those kids (get ahead of the game) and get rid of the fluff. You want to increase enrollment, be more tech centered, be cheaper, and be the most efficient in the state.

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 26th, 2020, 11:13 am

What is the obstacle for KSU having a portion of its curriculum dedicated to "tech/hand-on" technology degrees?

In essence, what can't K-State essentially have a junior college on its main campus.

I think KSU has recently hired 3 top administrators pretty much to boost enrollment, plus a plethora of "diversification" administrators.
The alternate to those expensive hirings was to make KSU degrees cost less.
+++++++==
Even I didn't know that you could get a degree in Queer Studies at my alma mater. What the hell kind of work will you do with that degree? Someone please explain and perhaps I'll retract my negative commentary.

mustang

Post by mustang » February 26th, 2020, 11:15 am

tmcats wrote:
i always thought two-year degrees would be a good idea like for agronomy, bookkeeping, teaching, and the like. probably doesn't work for engineering and physics. but my gosh, some of these disciplines do not need four years of college.
A two year program to teach? My daughter is an elementary teacher (Austin, TX) and there is a lot more content than a two year program.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 26th, 2020, 11:16 am

ksume2000 wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 9:02 am
tmcats wrote:
The number of credit hours needed for a satisfactory engineering education could be achieved in 2.5 years if you work hard. The problem is the linearity of the prerequisites. Starting with Calc1, Calc2, Calc3, DiffEQ all being needed for the upper level classes. Similarly with basic physics/chemistry 1 and 2 needing to be out of the way before the real work starts. AP high school courses could help with timing, if your HS offered them and you had a clear plan that early in life.

Interestingly, written communication for engineers was one of my favorite courses. It basically undid 12 years of creative writing. Say what you need to say. Make sure it is clear and concise. Done. What a relief for someone who struggled all through HS trying to flesh out 2 pages of information into 10 pages of fluff.
isn't that the written truth! my god, if someone handed me a ten-pager when i was managing companies, i'd have run them out of the room. still, a lot of that bloviation nonsense comes into the university classroom.
Censorship is to free speech as lynching is to justice.

BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy » February 26th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Is KSU driving the requirements for each degree or is it the accreditation? Who does the accreditation for KSU?

Opensource

Post by Opensource » February 26th, 2020, 4:56 pm

I thought higher education was about being educated. I mean a few more liberal arts courses and K-State might have educated you not to be sexist, racist and to support that liberal agenda you all hate professors for.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 26th, 2020, 5:19 pm

mustang wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 11:15 am
tmcats wrote:
A two year program to teach? My daughter is an elementary teacher (Austin, TX) and there is a lot more content than a two year program.
No there isn't really. 2 years of general, then you start your "educational blocks" where you actually learn teaching strategies, followed by a student teaching semester. I went through the secondary and my kid went through the elementary curriculum. I can assure you, I learned very little in years one and two that have assisted me in my teaching expertise. Many, many teachers will tell you the same. Teaching is about developing a philosophy, learning classroom management strategies, learning to build relationships, learning liability, etc... Not sitting in a lecture hall with 200 others and being exposed to the poor teaching methods of a monotone lecturer who doesn't give a rip if you're even in attendance.
Last edited by wild@nite on February 26th, 2020, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 26th, 2020, 5:20 pm

Opensource wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 4:56 pm
I thought higher education was about being educated. I mean a few more liberal arts courses and K-State might have educated you not to be sexist, racist and to support that liberal agenda you all hate professors for.
Haha. Now we're sexist and racist. Leave it to you. Color me surprised you'd go there with a pretty good discussion.

Opensource

Post by Opensource » February 26th, 2020, 7:58 pm

wild@nite wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 5:20 pm
Opensource wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 4:56 pm
Haha. Now we're sexist and racist. Leave it to you. Color me surprised you'd go there with a pretty good discussion.
Sarcasm :rofl: