NCAA Moves Toward Immediate Eligibility for All Transfers

Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
hilltopwildcat
Has liked: 663 times
Been liked: 251 times

Re: NCAA Moves Toward Immediate Eligibility for All Transfers

Post by hilltopwildcat » February 19th, 2020, 11:33 pm

These are universities not professional sports teams. But I see the other side.

Gorhoops
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 247 times

Post by Gorhoops » February 20th, 2020, 9:19 am

The way I see it the big boys are already getting their guys eligible right away now. Just come up with some story about why you need to leave and you can be eligible right away, like Fields, Martell, etc. If the big boys need a guy at a position, especially QB, that kid will get eligible without sitting out, that is already happening. It is only kids like a safety from New Mexico or Rice that wants to transfer to KSU, those are the kids having to sit now, not the golden boys going to the big schools.

Kralicek
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Kralicek » February 20th, 2020, 5:40 pm

Yea this doesn't sound a bit good for schools like KSU.

stlcatfan
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 270 times

Post by stlcatfan » February 20th, 2020, 8:23 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 9:19 am
The way I see it the big boys are already getting their guys eligible right away now. Just come up with some story about why you need to leave and you can be eligible right away, like Fields, Martell, etc. If the big boys need a guy at a position, especially QB, that kid will get eligible without sitting out, that is already happening. It is only kids like a safety from New Mexico or Rice that wants to transfer to KSU, those are the kids having to sit now, not the golden boys going to the big schools.
Yep. And we ended up losing the kid from New Mexico. Something like immediate eligibility for all transfers could work for a school like K-State if you have more Arthur Brown type situations - a top notch kid who goes to a big name program, but gets lost in the depth chart there and decides to transfer to a school where he has a better shot at decent playing time. Or, maybe a situation where a kid from a G5 school who could come in and contribute immediately.

stlcatfan
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 270 times

Post by stlcatfan » February 20th, 2020, 10:25 pm

Kralicek wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 5:40 pm
Yea this doesn't sound a bit good for schools like KSU.
There are definitely some concerns, the biggest (as others have alluded to) that college football and men's basketball could turn into something like MLB free agency in the 90s where schools like K-State could lose their top players to the Alabama's, Ohio State's and Texas' of the world.

Gorhoops
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 247 times

Post by Gorhoops » February 21st, 2020, 9:13 am

If I had to guess, I would bet it will end up being pretty much a wash for schools like KSU. Yes, we will lose a kid or two that will hurt, but we will probably also gain some kids that will help as well.

But I'm not going to lie, I much more enjoy following our teams when I can look at the roster and project kids for the future, etc. Not sure it will be as fun to almost have a juco type feel to it, if in fact it gets to the point where a lot more kids are moving around each year and you don't really know who will be on your team from one year to the next. Part of the fun for a fan is following the players through their careers. Hopefully that doesn't go away.

iowa_wildcat
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by iowa_wildcat » February 21st, 2020, 11:13 am

Has anyone else noticed that the young men transferring out of KSU have not exactly landed with a pot of gold in their hands? Most have not gained more playing time nor status. I cannot think of anyone that has landed at a Power 5 school and done well.

KsJoey
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 224 times

Post by KsJoey » February 21st, 2020, 11:22 am

Good points. I could see this effecting football and basketball differently as well. Football being more likely to benefit and basketball being more likely to take a hit.

wild@nite
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 540 times

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 21st, 2020, 4:05 pm

iowa_wildcat wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 11:13 am
Has anyone else noticed that the young men transferring out of KSU have not exactly landed with a pot of gold in their hands? Most have not gained more playing time nor status. I cannot think of anyone that has landed at a Power 5 school and done well.
Good point. Zuber has to second guessing the decision. He had back to back 50 catch seasons at KState. He had 14 this year and a loss to us. Great slap in the face.

AJcat7755
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 272 times

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 21st, 2020, 6:05 pm

wild@nite wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 4:05 pm
iowa_wildcat wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 11:13 am
Good point. Zuber has to second guessing the decision. He had back to back 50 catch seasons at KState. He had 14 this year and a loss to us. Great slap in the face.
Zuber didn't really have a choice. Sources say at least a 1/2 year suspension was coming his way for violation of team rules. If that is true, he had to go somewhere. And if true, almost seemed like he wanted to go to MSU just to try and get back at KSU, although his biggest impact in the game was a key dropped pass.