NCAA Moves Toward Immediate Eligibility for All Transfers

Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
hilltopwildcat
Has liked: 663 times
Been liked: 251 times

Re: NCAA Moves Toward Immediate Eligibility for All Transfers

Post by hilltopwildcat » February 19th, 2020, 11:38 am

College admissions departments will be working OT determining which classes transfer and which don't OR who gives a crap? Just let them play sports, hell with the degree.

Might make me back off college sports too if the best players from teams can just bolt from 1 to another.

tmcats
Has liked: 1141 times
Been liked: 784 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 19th, 2020, 11:42 am

admissions will be under immense pressure to understand that transfer students although perhaps not meeting the standard academic criteria offer benefits to the school and student body in other ways than scholarship. :lol:
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

AJcat7755
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 272 times

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 19th, 2020, 11:46 am

Let's be honest here, there is already a gap between the top teams and everybody else. Every once in a while, many things can come together and a lower tier P5 team can compete, but it's not yearly. It's always going to be a game of David versus Goliath, except David only wins 1 out of 10 times.

Secondly, how many players are these big boy schools actually going to take as a transfer for 1-3 years that will start over their current players? For example, Collin Klein was a Heisman candidate, but even then, I doubt a school like Alabama would have taken him. Zuber leaves KSU as it's leading receiver, and catches 14 passes at Mississippi State. Not to mention that with the lower P5 schools, most of their players are not getting developed and publicity till their JR or SR years, so there is less eligibility left.

For every player that Alabama gets to transfer, that is then 1 less player they can recruit or 1 player they have to cut themselves. For the former, that means less blue bloods taking the top 3* players in KS, or could mean they don't hit JUCOs as hard and instead take P5 transfers. Or for the later, they have players that don't see the field that transfer, like Xavier Kelly. That has a trickle down effect that those players are now available to teams like KSU can take advantage of. KSU can also take on transfers from G5 schools, like Gilbert. Those players aren't all jumping from G5 to Alabama, but they can jump to KSU easier. Now some players will take the jump just to be on a top team, but most will see they aren't getting playing time.

This doesn't impact basketball as much, because there are less players on a team so there is only so many spots to fill. And top basketball players can just go to the NBA instead of transferring. So with that thought, they should cut back on scholarship limits in football. That will prevent top teams from hoarding talent and force them to make tougher decisions on if they take a player, what one do they have to cut. Kind of like a salary cap in the NFL, you can't keep all the players you want.

I honestly don't think it would hurt KSU as much as it could help if done properly. KSU already isn't a NC contender, so if that gap gets a bit bigger, does it matter? Overall, KSU wouldn't lose that much talent, but they would have the opportunity to get more cast offs, get more JUCOs and get more middle tier talent that the big boys take now for depth, but would instead take transfers. It could help KSU become a better middle tier team and compete better with the other middle tiers, but it would widen the gap between the middle and top tier overall as well as the gap between the middle and lower tier. There will basically be G5 then, middle tier P5 teams, then 10-15 top P5 teams that contend for a NC.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 19th, 2020, 12:17 pm

smu had 16 transfers playing this year. lsu was led by a transfer, heisman quarterback. leach ran washington state into the top 20 with transfer qb's. so, what comes of this new rule is not at all clear to me. maybe it evens the field as kids come back home like arthur brown from miami, his brother from tennessee, and chris harper from oregon. we just don't know the effects at this point in time.

NealyFan
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by NealyFan » February 19th, 2020, 1:50 pm

The free market works, right? Schools can dump players for any reason, coaches can leave for any reason (within the terms of a buyout), schools can make millions of TV and other revenues, why shouldn't players have more control? KSU has benefited from transfers: May, Brown, Harper, etc. Who is to say that we won't reap a windfall?

These posts make it sound like KSU needs a nanny organization to protect it.
“It’s a tremendous challenge. The opportunity exists here today... for the greatest turnaround in college football history. And it’s not one to be taken lightly.” —- Bill Snyder

ToledoCat#2
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 237 times

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 19th, 2020, 3:59 pm

I have no idea where this universal transfer route will lead, but one thing I'm pretty certain of -- KSU will need excellent facilities (already got, and better coming soon) and a personable, likeable head coach and asst coaches, and I believe CK and crew covers that base.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 19th, 2020, 4:31 pm

NealyFan wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 1:50 pm
The free market works, right? Schools can dump players for any reason, coaches can leave for any reason (within the terms of a buyout), schools can make millions of TV and other revenues, why shouldn't players have more control? KSU has benefited from transfers: May, Brown, Harper, etc. Who is to say that we won't reap a windfall?

anytime there's change, there's trepidation particularly amongst older folks. that's just a given. and it applies to this case as well.

Watutalkaboutwillis
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 35 times

Pick 'Em

Post by Watutalkaboutwillis » February 19th, 2020, 5:22 pm

All it does is open the juinor class up for transfers imo. Freshman and sophomores could leave and sit without really hurting them especially if they hadnt used a redshirt. Juinors were basically stuck. You already had graduate seniors moving around all over the place. So, I don't know if it will really changes the game a whole lot. To move the needle, big name players would need to be moving around like the NBA. But if a guy is already excelling where they are at, are they going to move to bama or clemson who already seem to have their next guy in waiting? To me, it would be an anomoly more than it happening every year type situation. It might help the second tier schools more than the big players. Maybe I am wrong.

csteel25
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by csteel25 » February 19th, 2020, 5:30 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 4:31 pm
NealyFan wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 1:50 pm

anytime there's change, there's trepidation particularly amongst older folks. that's just a given. and it applies to this case as well.
Who do fans cheer the loudest for on senior day? It's almost always the guys where were there for several years + were a star. College sports if fun because of the amount of continuity. What will Youngblood do next year? What might he be capable of by the time he is a senior? The QB's we just signed...how will they do over the long haul? Will Sky further develop?

Much more fun that way. I think the current transfer rules are ok + if a coach leaves, they can leave.

Hypeman
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Hypeman » February 19th, 2020, 11:16 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 12:17 pm
smu had 16 transfers playing this year. lsu was led by a transfer, heisman quarterback. leach ran washington state into the top 20 with transfer qb's. so, what comes of this new rule is not at all clear to me. maybe it evens the field as kids come back home like arthur brown from miami, his brother from tennessee, and chris harper from oregon. we just don't know the effects at this point in time.
Kids are reluctant to transfer because they have to sit a year and for that reason you don’t see many upperclassmen transferring. Might change that.